By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - US Patent Office withdraws Redskins' trademark due to "disparaging" nickname

Red4ADevil said:
As much I oppose racism, it's another thing to persecute/prosecute people over a stupid word. The way we've been attacking racist terminology (for the most part) has been ineffective.

Was it really justifiable to ruin Paula Deens career over a stupid racist remark she said 30yrs ago? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Why do people feel they need to single out Justin Bieber because he used the word "nigga" when a lot of other artists use it?

Same thing with the Redskins. If you wanna go a little bit further how come no one is crying about Disney's "what makes the red man red?" scene in Peter Pan.

The way you attack this is by educating not prosecuting. Plus honestly I don't see why it disparages the natives when we call people of African descent "black" or others like Indian, Mexican, etc "brown people."

The thing is is that racism leads to atrocities. What's so bad about what Paula Deen said? Well the word she said has been associated with slavery, abuse, kidnapping, segregation, murder, family separation, genocide, etc. etc.

"Red*****" (I won't say it anymore) is associated with genocide, invasion, disease, segregation, humilation, tears, murder, etc. etc.

Honestly these are more than just words. They lead to much more. Remember Hitler would refer to Jews as "parasites" and "rats."

Around the Network

so stupid. I am white. If the was a team called the White Skins or the Caucasion Cruisers I would not care in fact the same people would be suing to change the name because it shows favoritism to white people. but since its a red skin it is clearly disparaging- basically they are telling Native americans to be ashamed of the look because portraying that look is disparaging.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

McDonaldsGuy said:
Red4ADevil said:
As much I oppose racism, it's another thing to persecute/prosecute people over a stupid word. The way we've been attacking racist terminology (for the most part) has been ineffective.

Was it really justifiable to ruin Paula Deens career over a stupid racist remark she said 30yrs ago? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Why do people feel they need to single out Justin Bieber because he used the word "nigga" when a lot of other artists use it?

Same thing with the Redskins. If you wanna go a little bit further how come no one is crying about Disney's "what makes the red man red?" scene in Peter Pan.

The way you attack this is by educating not prosecuting. Plus honestly I don't see why it disparages the natives when we call people of African descent "black" or others like Indian, Mexican, etc "brown people."

The thing is is that racism leads to atrocities. What's so bad about what Paula Deen said? Well the word she said has been associated with slavery, abuse, kidnapping, segregation, murder, family separation, genocide, etc. etc.

"Red*****" (I won't say it anymore) is associated with genocide, invasion, disease, segregation, humilation, tears, murder, etc. etc.

Honestly these are more than just words. They lead to much more. Remember Hitler would refer to Jews as "parasites" and "rats."

You are ridiculous and over sensitive. Jews is associated with Hollocaust so lets not say that anymore. Gay is associated with AIDs epidemic so lets not say that anymore. Rwanda is associated with Genocide so lets not say that anymore along with Serbs.

Also, nigger. No one is going to get offended by you saying nigger or redskin. Its a damn word and we have had threads talking about nigger here before. The only time it becomes an issue is when it is used in this way, "you are a nigger." So to use astriks for redskins when you are talking about the name redskins makes you seem self rightgeous and pompus

Good to see a big corporation get screwed by the patent authority instead of smaller entities that get labeled "patent trolls" and get their property taken from them just because they don't have as much cash as the big entity. Stick it to some more big corps patent bois!!!

Thanks jlmurph!

McDonaldsGuy said:
Red4ADevil said:

People who want make those associations do. For instance when I hear or see redskin I think of like an old western or that famous painting of sitting bull. When someone calls someone else a rat or a parasite I think, "well that not nice, oh well dudes a dicks probably should ignore him" , I dont think "ZOMG he is saying that we should put that man's race in consentration camps and gas them because Hitler called Jews rats and thats what he did"   I seriously get a kick of out people who immediate jump to murder, death, rape, genocide whenever possible, makes me think those people use it for an agenda and that they honestly dont give a shit, its just a f-ing talking point to them.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Well, this will be the only way it gets changed, by making them lose $$.

I never really considered it racist. There are plenty of sports with names from plenty of specific people's. But I guess "redskin" is the one that has a more derogatory history and I can't think of another name that is specific to a skin color/term.

I think with this getting bigger each year and a new round of legal battles over trademark, it will forced by the NFL to be changed.

Though I wonder how many Native Americans really feel this is derogatory as compared to those who embrace it.

Max King of the Wild said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Red4ADevil said:

You are ridiculous and over sensitive. Jews is associated with Hollocaust so lets not say that anymore. Gay is associated with AIDs epidemic so lets not say that anymore. Rwanda is associated with Genocide so lets not say that anymore along with Serbs.

You may be right, but what they did to Paula  Dean was nothing more than them making an example out her to enforce their fear onto everyone else who might do the same. Thats not right. Mind you I'm not defending her actions but what im defending is that there are others like her who are singled out and unfairly treated over something verbal whether it waw in/unintentional. 

In my personal opinion words are just words. If you remember the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" You (to the provoker) can beat my ass to a pulp but you're petty verbal insults are nothing to me. 

Max King, You're deinitely right about the gay part. It was originaly about being happy, or in older times "merry" now it has been accepted by the gay community. Unless you're using it in terms of lameness like "thats so gay."

bigjon said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
Red4ADevil said:

People who want make those associations do. For instance when I hear or see redskin I think of like an old western or that famous painting of sitting bull. When someone calls someone else a rat or a parasite I think, "well that not nice, oh well dudes a dicks probably should ignore him" , I dont think "ZOMG he is saying that we should put that man's race in consentration camps and gas them because Hitler called Jews rats and thats what he did"   I seriously get a kick of out people who immediate jump to murder, death, rape, genocide whenever possible, makes me think those people use it for an agenda and that they honestly dont give a shit, its just a f-ing talking point to them.

Because thats exactly what they do...

I'm sick and tired of all these oversensitive issues. They are often the pretextual backbone of censorship. And I am the only one who hears a "cha-ching!" sound in the background whenever I read something like this?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I totally agree.   There are so many worthy causes in this world to get up and arms about.  This isn't one of them.