By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - US Patent Office withdraws Redskins' trademark due to "disparaging" nickname

Red4ADevil said:
As much I oppose racism, it's another thing to persecute/prosecute people over a stupid word. The way we've been attacking racist terminology (for the most part) has been ineffective.

Was it really justifiable to ruin Paula Deens career over a stupid racist remark she said 30yrs ago? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Why do people feel they need to single out Justin Bieber because he used the word "nigga" when a lot of other artists use it?

Same thing with the Redskins. If you wanna go a little bit further how come no one is crying about Disney's "what makes the red man red?" scene in Peter Pan.

The way you attack this is by educating not prosecuting. Plus honestly I don't see why it disparages the natives when we call people of African descent "black" or others like Indian, Mexican, etc "brown people."

No one is saying the team is racist or going all out on a crazy offensive, simply that the name is considered a racial slur, so no trademark has been offered to them which is helpful as it stops the promotion of the term which again is an insult to many Native Americans.

Also on your last point, as far as I'm aware natives to not refer to themselves as red. From what I can gauge they are brown skinned.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

Screw this, its a name a few find "offensive" due to political correctness run a muck. I am a redskins fan now! Just bought a Redskins hat and jersey off amazon.

So you became a fan of a team because they were politically incorrect. You do understand that there is such thing as a balance. You could be neutral or not care too. Will you buy my new teams shirt, the Milwaukee Cracker Honky tonk hill billies or maybe the Chicago American Fatso's.

In reality though, I wish people would lighten up. I'm Irish and Americans ramble on about leprechauns and nonsense and I find it funny. Look at the Celtics and the fighting Irish. Heck, look at P.S I love you. Silly stereotypes and nothing like or got to do with Ireland in reality, but yeah, maybe people just need to lighten up. But in my book, that means that everyone should be treated equally including jews, black people and mexicans. That is just never going to happen though.

Im saying that a small minority should not have a majority influence. And I am not alone, many others see this as bullshit. 

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=4373137

As i insert this with over 45K votes, 62% say they should NOT change their name.

If the minority are the ones who are actually being effected then they absolutely should have a majority influence on that specific topic.

Yet basically anyone in America can run around with a gun and kill people. It really shows where our priorities are. Whats next? Just throw any potential offensive name in the trash? What about the Cleveland Browns? Cleveland Indians? Dallas Cowboys? I'm sure those are offensive to someone. New York Yankees? Atlanta Braves? Chicago Blackhawks? When will it end?

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

teigaga said:
Red4ADevil said:

No one is saying the team is racist or going all out on a crazy offensive, simply that the name is considered a racial slur, so no trademark has been offered to them which is helpful as it stops the promotion of the term which again is an insult to many Native Americans.

Also on your last point, as far as I'm aware natives to not refer to themselves as red. From what I can gauge they are brown skinned.

Made the post  shorter so as not to over flow the thread with the same quote.

First off let me be clear that I perfectly agree with them not granting the trademark. It's a step in the right direction. But I never said that the team itself was racist. Nor did I ever said that people were going up in arms because of "redskin."

What I meant about that was that people were known to go on the offensive about the n-words (nigger and nigga....and even sometimes negro) if it was ever mentioned. But when/if "redskin" was mentioned nobody cared about it which brings out their utter hyprocrisy. 

You mentioned my last point...again I did not imply that they looked literally red for comparing to black people. What I meant was that we call people of african descent "black" when a lot of them are not really black. They're more like a dark browm. Some are even as brown as Indians and yet we still call them black. Both black and redskin are exaggerations  of their true skin tone. Although I am aware that there are black people who are really black like in skin tone.

If you want to abolish racist terms like redskin, then we need to treat it equally as a racist term like with the n-words. But we can't becasue there are still groups of people still using it in society as socially acceptable terms when it is not. 

I hope that clears some things

noname2200 said:
VanceIX said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
I don't see the problem with this. It's a racist name, period. If Donald Sterling loses the Clippers because of his racism then the Redskins need to lose their name.

The name was given in honor of Native Americans, and no one cared until the last two years.

The complaints have existed for decades. There was a court case on this in the early 90's

Not really. A few outcrys here and there, but only recently has an entire movement sprung out of it. It's a name given in honor of Native Americans, but people convinently forget that.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

are these the same idiots who let candy crush own the word candy?

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
teigaga said:
bigjon said:
so stupid. I am white. If the was a team called the White Skins or the Caucasion Cruisers I would not care in fact the same people would be suing to change the name because it shows favoritism to white people. but since its a red skin it is clearly disparaging- basically they are telling Native americans to be ashamed of the look because portraying that look is disparaging.

You consider youself White, they do not consider themselves "Red Skin". It akin to if someone decided to name a team N***er and say its in honor of black people.

I might actually consider my skin color to be light tan, should I be offended when someone says I am white? Red Skin is not Equal to N----- so quit acting like its the same word just directed at a diferent group.

When someone says Red Skin these days there 1st thought is of the football team- so in a sense by having a team named after the term it has effectively nuetered any contations the word might have had in like what the 1930s maybe?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
teigaga said:
bigjon said:
so stupid. I am white. If the was a team called the White Skins or the Caucasion Cruisers I would not care in fact the same people would be suing to change the name because it shows favoritism to white people. but since its a red skin it is clearly disparaging- basically they are telling Native americans to be ashamed of the look because portraying that look is disparaging.

You consider youself White, they do not consider themselves "Red Skin". It akin to if someone decided to name a team N***er and say its in honor of black people.

I might actually consider my skin color to be light tan, should I be offended when someone says I am white? Red Skin is not Equal to N----- so quit acting like its the same word just directed at a diferent group.

When someone says Red Skin these days there 1st thought is of the football team- so in a sense by having a team named after the term it has effectively nuetered any contations the word might have had in like what the 1930s maybe?

You're not getting the point that for many from the racial group that actually matters its considered an insult, you're acting likes its merely descriptive term, It's not. Its not like calling someone black, brown or white. Under those naming conventions they would be brown. 

I'd be pissed too if the Whiteskins sucked.

It's about time