By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 will sell more than Mario Kart 7

Tagged games:

Will MK8 sell more then MK7

It's console Mario Kart, what could go wrong 52 62.65%

Ever hear of drop offs? 28 33.73%

Total:80

I believe Mario Kart 8 will outsell Mario Kart 7 in lifetime sales, and I have some evidence backing me up http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/mario-kart-8-outpacing-mario-kart-7-in-the-us-31350921/

1. Mario Kart 7 came out during the holiday

Mario Kart 7 launched in December, a very frutiful time for game companies to get their products selling. Mario Kart 8 came out the end of May. Many gamers may be holding back to the holiday or price cuts to get the game still, so sales will probably be high for years to come.

2. History of Mario Kart sales

Handheld sales of Mario Kart have always lagged behind console versions, despite hardware being higher in sales. Super Circuit is dead last (next to Mario Kart 8's one week of sales). Even though the DS version is 2nd, the Wii version still nearly sold 12 million more units thanks to bundling it. 

3. Better rating

Mario Kart DS got a much higher rating than Mario Kart Wii on gamerankings.com, and the Wii version still sold more. Mario Kart 8 on the other hand has higher ratings than Mario Kart 7. It was more hyped and got more critical acclaim.

4. Marketing

An incredible incentive to buy Mario Kart 8 now is the bundle going on. If you already have a Wii U you could still receive a free game with it. Also, Nintendo plans on keeping commercials of Mario Kart 8 running until the end of 2014. If they hold up this promise, it could really help, especially this holiday.

5. Multiplayer

Nintendo handhelds always have many diverse games that offer great multiplayer experiences. Pokemon, Mario Kart, heck even Kirby have multiplayer fun for everybody. Granted Smash Bros has good multiplayer on consoles, but Mario Kart still remains high as the most enjoyable. 3D World had a good multiplayer system and so did New Super Mario Bros, but if you screwed up on there you were sure to get yelled at. Mario Kart you are on your own. If you screw up nobody else is getting hurt by it. Also the online is better than other series that have online integrated into their games. It works (for the most part) and is simple to understand.

6. Luigi's Death Stare

Believe it or not, "Luigi's Death Stare" has to be selling at least a few Wii U's around the world. This ties in with marketing, but I wanted to bring it up in it's own category. Not only has it been spreading around the internet like an untamed virus, but it has even appeared on Fox news! Nintendo is getting so much free marketing with people doing this. Even if 1% of 20 million people watching Fox bought a copy of the game that would still be 200k units sold.

Though many popular franchises have seem to hit a brick wall with Wii U, Mario Kart seems to be the last little light of hope for Wii U. If Nintendo does this with other huge games like Smash Bros, Zelda U, and invests in new IP's, Wii U should have no problem becoming successful.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

The Wii U will have to outsell MK7 first.

I'm not so sure. At the most I could see it selling around 8 million. Which is still pretty good!

Short answer: no.

Long answer: the WiiU-s instal base will be on-par with total MK7 sales by the beginning of next year. In best case it will double that number LT, and I doubt that MK8 will have a 60-70% attach rate. Best case I could see it doing 7 million with heavy bundling, but thus far 5-6 million seems like a reasonable expectation for the title IMO.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Mario Kart 7 might outsell the WiiU.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Short answer: no.

Long answer: the WiiU-s instal base will be on-par with total MK7 sales by the beginning of next year. In best case it will double that number LT, and I doubt that MK8 will have a 60-70% attach rate. Best case I could see it doing 7 million with heavy bundling, but thus far 5-6 million seems like a reasonable expectation for the title IMO.

There's no need for a long answer. You didn't have to work out those finger muscles to type all of that.

Most radicall people will probably think you're crazy, but i think that in the long run it does have a very good chance, even if MK7 sell a little more (in the meantime)

Not a chance!

It won't happen which is a damn shame! MK8 is probably a million times better than MK7!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I don't think so. I wish, because it deserves to, but it won't.