By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 will sell more than Mario Kart 7

Tagged games:

Will MK8 sell more then MK7

It's console Mario Kart, what could go wrong 52 62.65%

Ever hear of drop offs? 28 33.73%

Total:80

I want it to, but it won't. It's not like MK7 is even done selling.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

No I don't think it will.The user base for the Wii U is too small compare to the Wii.

This gotta be the worst prediction of the year

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

I blame vgc for the continued threads like this. If they updated the numbers last week then people would be less cocky I believe

Did MK7 also came with a free downloadable game so that the fist week sales are even comparable?

Around the Network

Yes. it might take a while, though.

It needs a miracle for that to happen!
Mario Kart 8 will sell really well, but it wont be enough at the end.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Fusioncode said:
Mario Kart 7 might outsell the WiiU.

Yes, and Infamous Second son sold more of XBOX ONE...

Or you could look at MK sales as a proportion of install base.

MK Wii ~34%
MK DS ~ 15%
MK 7 ~22% (will probably fall over time but right now it's still selling at about 25%)
MK Double Dash ~31%

So let's be generous and say long term MK 8 will sell to 38% of Wii U owners. To outsell the current MK7 sales Wii U needs an install base of 25 million. And that is if MK 7 stops selling right now. Even if attach rate is 40% it still means Wii U needs to have an install base of nearly 24 million just to reach MK 7s current sales.

Seems rather unlikely given MK 7 will probably keep selling several thousand per week for as long as 3DS is selling. So MK 7 will probably climb towards 11 million over time.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I think over time it could, just based on the fact that it's a far superior game. It built up a LOT of hype, whereas MK7 was mostly just business as usual, outside of the flying/underwater bits.