By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony make another handheld?

Will they make another handheld?

yes 21 18.42%

no 81 71.05%

hybrid console 12 10.53%

Total:114

if they are smart, no

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

No.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

After how quick they were to throw in the towel on the Vita, I'm gonna say no. Unless Nintendo comes out with a hybrid that makes a portable/console fusion the new standard. Then Microsoft and Sony might follow suit.

If they do and have learned anything, they'll make give it good support for the first few years until it takes off. You want to support the console when it's new, not when the console is already dead. PS4 has the same problem unfortunately with the console having only five retail exclusives until 2015.

No. They'll probably extend the life for the Vita as long as possible, even if it remains unsuccessful.

Maybe they'll do some kind of well supported smartphone hybrid in the future.

Around the Network
flint said:

I think they'll stick with vita for a long time as a PS4 companion and by that point I don't think they'll be making another handheld. Playstation and Nintendo should both be focusing their draw of games on just one console soon enough, and for Sony that will be a powerful black box.

Ninty will continue on doing both. 

to the op: Sony will go a cheaper route next in the future. Sony fans will likely demand it, and they will follow.

No way, I think they already plan to ditch the Vita in a couple of years and focus on PS4, tablets and smartphone. The gaming market in the touchdevice based industry is evolving and becoming better and better so the games will continue to improve as well.

dang we need sony to make another handheld
they better because you know we cant just leave nintendo against the rising smartphones and tablets :P

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

There are only 2 instances where I could see them try:

1. Make a smartphone/handheld hybrid, and put more effort in it then what went into the Xperia Play.
2. Make a bumped-up-spec download only Vita, sell it for dirt cheap as a PS4 smart device.

But something that is purely a dedicated handheld system, I doubt it.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
flint said:

I think they'll stick with vita for a long time as a PS4 companion and by that point I don't think they'll be making another handheld. Playstation and Nintendo should both be focusing their draw of games on just one console soon enough, and for Sony that will be a powerful black box.

Ninty will continue on doing both. 

to the op: Sony will go a cheaper route next in the future. Sony fans will likely demand it, and they will follow.

Are you 100% sure, asking you to buy two consoles for their first party seems like a big ask. A handheld of somekind designed to display equally as well on a TV screen, with all their first party at a relitively low price, seems like a smart move.

Buying order: Switch, better pc