By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Current-gen Million sellers - 24/02/08.

RolStoppable said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
RolStoppable said:
Okay, which other currently available Wii games do you want?

Zack & Wiki, No more Heroes, Dragon Ball Z: BT3, Geometry Wars, Metal Slug Antholigy.

All of these are solid games, and I don't really care what the reviews are. Also, keep in mind that this is my second Wii. I had other games that aren't listed in my profile.

Yes, these are all solid games, but everyone of these would have troubles to hit a million, no matter which system they were on.

Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes are good exclusives, but both are niche and have limited appeal. Geometry Wars is the expensive version of an XBLA game, the added content doesn't really justify the price for most gamers, because the core gameplay is the same in each level. Metal Slug never broke a million on the PS2, so there's no hope it could on the Wii. Dragon Ball Z: BT3 is another entry in an overused anime licence, so chances are very slim for that one as well.

Basically, none of the five games you mentioned have a chance to sell a million, despite their quality. But this wouldn't be different on any other system, so I don't see how you could blame Wii owners for it.

I don't believe No More Heroes is niche. I still think the game has a chance at 1m units sold (when it comes to software, I consider shipped sold).

More to the point: I'm not blaming Wii owners for anything. Your post implied that Nintendo is the only company making good games on the Wii. I think that's complete bullshit, as I believe there are plenty of good 3rd-party games on the Wii. I still, however, don't believe that the Wii is moving the amount of 3rd-party sofware it should. Let me put it this way: The Wii is the market leader. It's a platform designed to be able to carry the industy on it's back. We're not talking about the niche user base the GameCube had anymore. Triple A games take a lot of time and money to develop. If those were the only games that sold well, there would be little room for groth and smaller developers. That's why it's important that the Wii move far more 3rd-party software than it actually does. I don't believe in your "the games don't deserve to sell well" excuse. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

If we're going to look at how much software a console is moving, we have to look at more than just million sellers, because like I pointed out in my last post, not all games (even good ones) are going to make it to a million. We need to look at how many games have sold over 250k at least, and what's the breakdown of those games that have sold over 250k. Like how many have sold 500k, 750k, and a million.

Then you also have to consider the fact that it's just not sales that matter, it's also about where profitability would be for each game. It's hard to know how much a game as to sell to be profitable, but we can assume it's lower on the Wii than on the PS3.

Lastly, Riot, do you believe that the Wii is competing directly or indirectly with the PS3? Directly meaning it's fighting over the same audience (though it does not exclude the Wii from expanding the market); i.e. If the Wii wasn't on the market, the PS3 would be selling significantly better than it is now. Indirectly meaning they are not competing at any level; i.e. If the Wii wasn't on the market, the PS3 would not sell significantly better than it is now. Just curious.

Stever89 said:
If we're going to look at how much software a console is moving, we have to look at more than just million sellers, because like I pointed out in my last post, not all games (even good ones) are going to make it to a million. We need to look at how many games have sold over 250k at least, and what's the breakdown of those games that have sold over 250k. Like how many have sold 500k, 750k, and a million.

Then you also have to consider the fact that it's just not sales that matter, it's also about where profitability would be for each game. It's hard to know how much a game as to sell to be profitable, but we can assume it's lower on the Wii than on the PS3.

Lastly, Riot, do you believe that the Wii is competing directly or indirectly with the PS3? Directly meaning it's fighting over the same audience (though it does not exclude the Wii from expanding the market); i.e. If the Wii wasn't on the market, the PS3 would be selling significantly better than it is now. Indirectly meaning they are not competing at any level; i.e. If the Wii wasn't on the market, the PS3 would not sell significantly better than it is now. Just curious.

I agree with most of your post, Stever, so I'm going to focus on your 3rd paragraph.

That's really a tough question. My answer would have to be: No, I don't think the Wii and playstation 3 have targeted the same audience, yet they are still competitors. I will even take it a step further and say that the 360 and Playsation 3 aren't fighting over the same audience. The Wii's Controller -- it's numer one gimmick -- was designed to expand the market and tap into a new audience that was not there before. The Playstation 3's primary gimmick -- it's Blu-Ray player -- was designed for the already established mass market.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

3rd party games are not failing on the Wii. I really don't understand where this percepption is comming from. The fact of the matter is that 3rd party DEVELOPERS are failling on the Wii. The proof of that is the fact that the 3P game many or most of us would agree to being the best is a rerelease of a game that could already be played on the Wii (and only added new controls). Really, if a a game getting its third go at a console release is the best the third parties haev to offer they simply don't deserve to have million sellers.

Rol is right: most 3P games are either crap or are too niche to sell a million. That's why only a half dozen of the games are 3rd party. If they put as much effort into their Wii games as most everything else, the Wii would have as many million sellers as the 360 by now.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

"Only" 6 3p developers?  Did everyone bump their head and forget that a year ago no one expected this much success out of the Wii?  The simple fact is that the Wii's popularity caught a lot of people off guard and it takes longer than a year (or 14 months or whatever) to complete a GOOD game.  A lot of 3p titles are crap shovelware, but yeah the better titles do sell better.  And I agree with the previous poster--RE 4 has been one of the best 3p titles out there.  I enjoy it more than NMH, don't get me wrong NMH is awesome, more than Metal Slug Anthology, and more than RE: UC.  I'm waiting for Zack and Wiki which I hope to play shortly (can't wait).

Let's see the Wii in 2 years from now and then we can talk 3p support.

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:

-X360 now has 34 millionsellers after around 27 months on the market. Most of them are somehow connected to something that involves shooting.

I count 18 as not being shooters. You really went to that outdated stereotype like a bear to honey.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Picko said:
StarcraftManiac said:

-X360 now has 34 millionsellers after around 27 months on the market. Most of them are somehow connected to something that involves shooting.

I count 18 as not being shooters. You really went to that outdated stereotype like a bear to honey.

He should have changed it in:  The best selling games were shooters =/.

Picko said:
StarcraftManiac said:

Dude, you get the point. Halo 3 has more than 30% attach-ratio on X360... Gears has around 24%... Ghost recon games sell a million. Every CoD sells way more then a million etc... You think it's crazy i say that? I think 18 out of 34 FPS is FREAKIN' much... There's not FPS and 'the rest' You have: Adventure, RPG, RTS, Sports, Simulation, Etc... Etc... Etc... So, it IS much! It's more then 50%.

THE NETHERLANDS

even more

North america in 360: 10.92/17.08 = 64% in hardware

Europe in PS3: 4.25/10.74 =  41.75% in hardware

it's pretty much guaranteed that cooking mama is a million seller, its at 750k with no europe data and I know this game was very popular in Europe.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X