By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the bar been set low for Nintendo to steal the show?

I'm not shouting, I'm textualizing my thought process for others to see.

What I want to know is how done is Wii U's Smash Bros? If it looks almost as gorgeous as Mario Kart 8 while it's in motion, then it may just be the wow factor Nintendo needs to add more power to the hype train.

Around the Network

All they need is games with actual gameplay and not lame cgi/rendered realtime videos. Thats enough for me.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

As a Nintendo fan since the age of 9 who has never allowed a foreign console into his home, i must say, never underestimate Nintendo's ability to drop the ball at the critical moment. It's like that goddamned blue shell at the end of a perfect run and then you end up in 11th place...

Ahem, anyway, can't count them in, but certainly not out. One of the differentiating factors, especially this year with how Sony and Microsoft ran some of their bigger titles, is that Nintendo likes to go all hands-on with their big games, so there will be few, if any, games tomorrow that are just a sizzle reel and a title screen.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Experimental42 said:

I've been sitting here thinking about what I just saw. Sony slogged on through the middle of their presentation with TV shit at a gaming show. Microsoft didn't really impress me personally, but at least they didn't slog on about TV as much as Sony.

The table is now set. Does Nintendo win best in show by default at this point, as long as they don't screw up, or will they be legitimately impressive? Do they come out and flop or do they hit the ground running?

I still say that with the relatively bland show so far, Nintendo can come out looking like a billion bucks if they have some good release dates, a decent surprise, and some good Zelda U and Retro Metroid footage.

It seems to be the sentiment, where were the surprises or the big "wow" factor?  Batman was the best of the show for me thus far, the only game that really surprised me and turned out better than expected.  I started the day saying that MS had a "solid" showing, but they proved to be the best of the day.  Sony probably had equal amount of good software, but their conference was dissapointing and didn't meet most people's expectations.  For me, I was expecting more from Sony, therefore, being more dissapointed.  Again, if you cut all the nonsense from their conference that was bad and only look at the games, it was pretty decent, but the conference was overall lacking.  Ninty wins by showing Zelda alone, unless the artstyle is absolutely horrendous.  I honestly think that SSB tourney will be the talk of the show....but we shall see tomorrow!

I think that MS failed to impress. The only game I'm interested in is sunset overdrive, and it's been announced for a year.
Sony on the other hand debuted gameplay for several games. And announced many more. Honestly, I don't know what more you could ask for in a press conference. They showed me everything I wanted, and now I'm optimistic about the PS4. Now I know that my 2014 and 2015 is going to be filled with 3rd and first parties alike (because of both conferences). It honestly feels like you didn't watch either conference. Sony should have made the tech and tv talk about half as long, but that's it. Sony doesn't ever seem to learn in that department for some reason, but I don't care because the rest was an 11/10 for me.
If nintendo direct is as bad as it was last year, then I'm not seeing them winning. Keep in mind, this is what nintendo direct was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1I5s236o

Around the Network

another smash game, more pokemon, new zalda, mario, and the crowd goes wild.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Nintendo will win due to reviewer pity. Let's give it to the skinny guy situation...

Ex Graphics Whore.

The bar was set pretty low, yes. Doesn't mean Nintendo can't still fail. I remember a certain series of gifs two years ago, proclaiming Nintendo victory by default prior to its conference, only to have its conference be just as terrible as the competitions'...

I wouldn't say "steal the show", but Nintendo might be the top conference of this E3 mostly due to the poor conferences of MS and Sony.

Slade6alpha said:
They show Zelda, X, Bayo, Pokemon, Smash, 3DS exclusives, and a few new Wii U games and they would have easily surpassed both Sony and MS.

Don't make me start my Nintendo fap now Slade! I am trying to save it for tomorrow!!! I even got 5 maids reggie in case I over do it!!!!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850