By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 & Wii U duking it out. End of 2K14 sales prediction Thread.

Twilord said:
oniyide said:
Twilord said:

Not just the people who think Nintendo are gonna outsell Sony either. My stomach is genuinely uneasy from how intensely Sony fans believe that another console won't dare to sell well, despite the Wii-U finally having two of the most valuable IPs in their books both being/having released this year. They get scary intense about it, feels like I insulted their grandmothers without meaning to. O_O

oh please. x1 is doing fine all things considered. but Wii U? its still on track to do GC numbers. Thats not selling well no matter how one wants to spin it

This gonna be the Wii-U's best year, for better or worse. Mario Kart and Smash Bros can sell atleast 2 million, and it actually has other games such as X, Bayonetta, and Hyrule Warriors. In the first part of the year it sold just shy of one million with near enough no games (I own one and didn't even bother with Donkey Kong because I had a sufficient back-log on the thing); in the second part of the year it is highly likely to double that since it actually has game. The surge in W101 sales figures on Amazon rather obviously states that people have just been waiting for something to break the camel's back before they bought a Wii-U. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are damn good camel breakers as well as being stand-alone system sellers.

4 million is not a ridiculous estimate for the Wii-U in the second half of this year. Its not gonna put it ahead of the PS4 which is likely to pull the same overall increase despite, game-wise, this being likely to be the weakest year its gonna have.

New Super Mario Bros. U has already sold 4 million.

Super Mario 3D World will sell more then that.

Smash Bros. 4 wii U will sell more then Mario 3D World.

Mario Kart 8 will sell even more then smash bros. four wii u.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Zero999 said:

End of 2014 - Wii U: 15 million      ps4: 14 million

How exactly will the WiiU pull this off? Genuine question, because to be honest, I just don't see it.

Im ruting for Wii U here but lets get serious.  

ps4 14 mil i agree.

but Wii U will be 10-12 mil.  overjoyed if it did 15.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DevilRising said:
lol Why do so many people feel confident that PS4 is going to sell around 12 million in 2014?

Because I'm fairly sure none of the systems will do those kind of numbers.

Basic math

+ 

= 11.8 PS4 (12 million) 7.2 Wii U(7.5 Million) 6 XB1 (6.3 million)

rounded up to account for this month's sales.

in this estimate the Vita would be outsold by the PS4.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Wow this thread for interesting all of a sudden! Some BOLD predictions going on in here. And to be honest I do not think people are really slamming the Wii U. I just think people are confused as to why it is being said that it will all of a sudden outsell the PS4 for basically the remainder of the year. I know it has quite a few really good exclusives games coming out that will increase the sells. But so does the XB1 and the PS4. And to be honest as I have already stated it currently has more and higher rated exclusives than either the PS4 or XB1. It is EASILY cheaper than either system and has been out a lot longer yet still sells less than either other than what like 2 weeks this year when it beat the XB1?

So for me personally I am POSITIVE that the Wii U will pick up sales with all the games it has coming out but to get to the numbers some of the people here are saying it will hit then it would need more than just those games. Something closer to a $100 price cut if you ask me. Outside of that I just don't see how people are thinking that the Wii U will do 10-12 million for 2014. I know things can happen and change but that is a BIG change to hit that milestone with us already being June.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

oniyide said:
atomicblue said:
I'm not inclined to make a prediction without knowing a bit more about what games the three companies have coming out at Xmas. Sony and MS are in the middle of their games drought (the one which seems to happen to every console in its first 6-12 months) and Nintendo currently have an opening to gain a lot of ground if they keep the momentum going post-MarioKart.

I will say this, though. At present, the only PS4/XO game slated for 2014 that I think has the potential to truly be a system-seller is Destiny, and I would not be remotely surprised if it gets bumped back into 2015. There are a few others like Driveclub, The Crew and The Evil Within, but I get the impression that they're more likely to be similar to Watch_Dogs; games that go over well with the people who already own the consoles.

but look how much better PS4 and to a lesser extent X1 are selling in comparison to WIi U even WITH their game droughts. So imagine what happens when they dont have that problem.

You're missing my point. The PS4 and XO are selling well now, yes, but they're also relatively new still and have fairly large loyal fanbases who would buy the consoles no matter what.

Both consoles' sales have been tapering off now (there was a spike when Watch_Dogs released, but not a huge one) and will probably continue to do so until the consoles have stronger libraries of games, including at least one or two true system sellers. So yes, NOW they're both selling alright, but the early adopters should all have bought them by now. Through the rest of 2014, they're going to need some bigger games.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DevilRising said:
lol Why do so many people feel confident that PS4 is going to sell around 12 million in 2014?

Basic math

+ 

Sure, if you want to completely ignore the single largest variable in the GAMES industry then you're absolutely right about the Wii-U's sales. - Truthfully its not going to outsell the PS4 but if you honestly think its gonna have less than 9.5 million at the end of the year I'm willing to make a bet of $25 on Amazon against you.

Twilord said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DevilRising said:

Basic math

+ 

Sure, if you want to completely ignore the single largest variable in the GAMES industry then you're absolutely right about the Wii-U's sales. - Truthfully its not going to outsell the PS4 but if you honestly think its gonna have less than 9.5 million at the end of the year I'm willing to make a bet of $25 on Amazon against you.

What are the terms of your bet and why do you think I'm ignoring games?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Twilord said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DevilRising said:

Basic math

+ 

What are the terms of your bet and why do you think I'm ignoring games?

Your calculation for the Wii-U is merely adding another 0.9 to it - which it achieved with only one noteworthy game (that while very well recieved critically was definitely not a system seller) while we're currently in the middle of Mario Kart, looking forward to Smash Bros, and have a good number of other games strongly believed to be due out this year (Yarn Yoshi, SMTxFE, Bayonetta, X, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom) which will at the very least stop the console from looking barren.

I will include two highly improbably clauses for termination of the bet; if a main-series Wii-U Zelda somehow is out this year the bet is off (for your sake); if Smash Bros somehow isn't out this year the bet is also off (for my sake).

The number we'll be using to determine if this is the case will be the number of total world-wide Wii-U sales listed on VGChartz on the first week of February of 2015 minus the number of sales that had happened in 2015 itself.

I leave it up to you to decide if you want a margin of error such as 9.4 through 9.6 being neutral territory where no-one pays. I'm very open to the discussion of terms.

Twilord said:
oniyide said:
Twilord said:
TheBoneCollector said:
Weedlab said:
Joke thread? lol

That's the joke, it isn't a joke thread, some of the responses are down right scary.

Not just the people who think Nintendo are gonna outsell Sony either. My stomach is genuinely uneasy from how intensely Sony fans believe that another console won't dare to sell well, despite the Wii-U finally having two of the most valuable IPs in their books both being/having released this year. They get scary intense about it, feels like I insulted their grandmothers without meaning to. O_O

oh please. x1 is doing fine all things considered. but Wii U? its still on track to do GC numbers. Thats not selling well no matter how one wants to spin it

This gonna be the Wii-U's best year, for better or worse. Mario Kart and Smash Bros can sell atleast 2 million, and it actually has other games such as X, Bayonetta, and Hyrule Warriors. In the first part of the year it sold just shy of one million with near enough no games (I own one and didn't even bother with Donkey Kong because I had a sufficient back-log on the thing); in the second part of the year it is highly likely to double that since it actually has game. The surge in W101 sales figures on Amazon rather obviously states that people have just been waiting for something to break the camel's back before they bought a Wii-U. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are damn good camel breakers as well as being stand-alone system sellers.

4 million is not a ridiculous estimate for the Wii-U in the second half of this year. Its not gonna put it ahead of the PS4 which is likely to pull the same overall increase despite, game-wise, this being likely to be the weakest year its gonna have.

ok...still on track to do GC numbers. Which would make it abysmal. Thats all im saying. So it will do better this year, it was doing WORSE than GC at the same time. Again those arent good numbers no matter who wants to spin or ignore them.

atomicblue said:
oniyide said:
atomicblue said:
I'm not inclined to make a prediction without knowing a bit more about what games the three companies have coming out at Xmas. Sony and MS are in the middle of their games drought (the one which seems to happen to every console in its first 6-12 months) and Nintendo currently have an opening to gain a lot of ground if they keep the momentum going post-MarioKart.

I will say this, though. At present, the only PS4/XO game slated for 2014 that I think has the potential to truly be a system-seller is Destiny, and I would not be remotely surprised if it gets bumped back into 2015. There are a few others like Driveclub, The Crew and The Evil Within, but I get the impression that they're more likely to be similar to Watch_Dogs; games that go over well with the people who already own the consoles.

but look how much better PS4 and to a lesser extent X1 are selling in comparison to WIi U even WITH their game droughts. So imagine what happens when they dont have that problem.

You're missing my point. The PS4 and XO are selling well now, yes, but they're also relatively new still and have fairly large loyal fanbases who would buy the consoles no matter what.

Both consoles' sales have been tapering off now (there was a spike when Watch_Dogs released, but not a huge one) and will probably continue to do so until the consoles have stronger libraries of games, including at least one or two true system sellers. So yes, NOW they're both selling alright, but the early adopters should all have bought them by now. Through the rest of 2014, they're going to need some bigger games.

And? Why wasnt Wii U putting up those kinds of numbers when it was relatively new and had NO competition? Does Ninty not have loyal fanbases or are the numbers so low that it wouldnt sell hot?

People keep saying this, but even if that was true thier bases are gonna be higher than WIi Us' base was. So I dont see Wii U catching up to PS4 anytime soon. It could stave off x1