By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your stance on piracy?

XiaoMay said:

Well, I didn't udge anybody, as I said to you in my previous post, it's my opinion, my way to do, I don't care about what YOU do and I respect it.

Of course, if the industry crumble because of piracy like PSP is doing, I will be affected too...

Also, I have the right to give my opinion because I am myself a creator and I have always felt raped whenever my work is stolen. That's it.

And about moral, I am gay. So yeah, I had A LOT of pre marital sex, don't worry.

I have a lot of respect for artists and creators, but the fact remains that piracy has helped the little guy in almost as many ways as it has hurt others.  The ability to distribute things through the web (wouldn't have happened as soon if it wasn't for piracy) has broken down a lot of barriers and has helped bands that would have been small find a cult following or break out on their own.

For video games, a lot of freeware designers have made it big, such as Johnathan Mak from Queasy games, by distributing their stuff online for free and then getting signed up to do games with a company.  Piracy and sharing intellectual property is not inherently bad, and has really helped in many cases. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
insomniac17 said:

Its only illegal if you get caught.

EDIT: Okay, I wanted to add stuff to make my post a bit longer. I pirate music that is really hard to find, but thats all. Everything else is a gift. =D

But the music that's really hard to find is the music that most deserves to be bought. The musicians that make said music are probably struggling to make ends meet, due to the unpopularity of their work.

The only problem is that I can't find it. If I could, I would buy it. I don't like cheating people out of honest work, but if I can't find it, then yeah I'm gonna pirate it.

I recently found a band Ivy. I downloaded three of their albums, but I also paid for two. I would never have felt compelled to buy that many if I wasn't able to listen to some of the albums I downloaded.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
I recently found a band Ivy. I downloaded three of their albums, but I also paid for two. I would never have felt compelled to buy that many if I wasn't able to listen to some of the albums I downloaded.

And that is your way of saying, "Stealing is alright."

I got into every single band by just trying out a cd. Sure there are a bunch of cd's from bands I dislike that I paid for, but hey, I could have tried free samples first (actually, now I do that but in 1997 through early 2000, I did not have high-speed internet so it took forever). If I want to listen to a band, I can ask for suggestions, find a free sample (if provided, which normally is) and make a decision from there.

A band like Nightwish, however, I just took one look at the cover art and said, "Why not try this out?" And they became one of my favorite bands. I did not need to steal two albums first in order to decide what to buy. You have no legs to stand on with that. Please try again.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Just my DS games and DVDs for me i give Nintendo there Money back with the Wii games i buy, maybe i will get a PSP also so i can borrow some games off sony and that would justify me paying for a PS3, works out well.

Around the Network

Walking the plank?

Well, a couple notes. You won't stop piracy. What takes a company 6 months and several million dollars to implement is broken by a budget of 300 bucks for pizza and red bull in under a month. Yep, that was worth it. Or you can go the Sony route and damage your paying customers with your anti piracy methods. Fucking beautiful that was.

Acknowledge that it exists, offer a cheap alternative for distribution. My piracy has gone infinitely down (University? Yeah, everything is free.) as I grew older and got more income. Whether that was maturity or money remains to be seen. Hehe, duty.

Also, for music? Now there's youtube. Why pirate when someone else uploads their stuff for you? You can check away, don't have the file, got a free demo of someone else pirating. Is this as morally bankrupt as downloading the mp3s?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Fuzzmosis said:
Walking the plank?

Well, a couple notes. You won't stop piracy. What takes a company 6 months and several million dollars to implement is broken by a budget of 300 bucks for pizza and red bull in under a month. Yep, that was worth it. Or you can go the Sony route and damage your paying customers with your anti piracy methods. Fucking beautiful that was.

Acknowledge that it exists, offer a cheap alternative for distribution. My piracy has gone infinitely down (University? Yeah, everything is free.) as I grew older and got more income. Whether that was maturity or money remains to be seen. Hehe, duty.

Also, for music? Now there's youtube. Why pirate when someone else uploads their stuff for you? You can check away, don't have the file, got a free demo of someone else pirating. Is this as morally bankrupt as downloading the mp3s?

Yeah.  That's the thing.  Is it even illegal to watch some movie that's been uploaded on the interent?  It's illegal to upload it... but to watch it?  I doubt it.

Though knowing lobbyists it will be in a few years. 

XiaoMay said:

That s true !
Here is another argument : if when at your job someone told you : "You work, fine. But whether we will pay you or not depends if we want to. Also we may be entitled to take your work and use it, without your permission and without you being paid. We will call this a piracy contract (lol)"... What would everybody say ?

Sounds like a standard policy for the new ones to the entertainment industry.  Now while it is hearsay, I understand that a movie got picked up by one of the airlines and was played on each long-distance flight for the summer.  Thousands of viewings, I'm sure the company that sold the viewing rights to the airline did just fine.  But the writers of that movie got paid, in total, $40.

And while I agree that the attitude of "Well, others do it too" doesn't justify lowering your standards, many if not most companies that complain about copyright infringement (ie piracy) pay out plenty in the lawsuits that they have been judged to have done just that.  And on a much wider scale as an entity than any of our pirates we have here.  Strangely enough, they keep the more neutral term of 'copyright infringement', reserving the more strongly worded terms of 'stealing' and 'piracy' for those that take their product without paying for it.  Interesting, isn't it.

As for me, it's not an issue for piracy of music, DVDs or games.  DVDs come thru Netflix.  I read a lot, so I get to steal from the public library.  Then a few weeks after they were due back (thus the stealing part), I return them and apologize.  I wouldn't even do that, but since the librarian is nice enough to unblock my card, it's the least that I can do, before I go down the aisles to steal more books.

Ummmm.  If the servers would allow uploading back from your PC and you cleaned it out, would it then just be borrowing?  Without permission, of course.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:

Where do you get off judging others for pirating anyways? Did the RIAA appoint you or something? Seriously, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. I am sure all of us have done much worse things than pirating music.

Using the same rigid moral standards as you, if you ever had premarital sex, you are going to be severely punished for it, not only in the Judeo-Christian moral system, but in most of the moral systems around the world. Have you had pre-marital sex? That is worse than pirating and it looks like you are going to go to hell for it.

Well, I didn't judge anybody, as I said to you in my previous post, it's my opinion, my way to do, I don't care about what YOU do and I respect it.

Of course, if the industry crumble because of piracy like PSP is doing, I will be affected too...

Also, I have the right to give my opinion because I am myself a creator and I have always felt raped whenever my work is stolen. That's it.

And about moral, I am GAY. So yeah, I had A LOT of pre marital sex, don't worry. So much for my rigidity, hey.

You are a creator? You don't say? Well since everyone here is a creator, that means absolutely nothing. My comment about it being a crime here deals with the SCALE of copyright infringement. Commercial and large scale is a crime. Everything else is a tort. Your country's laws may vary (I'm assuming you are Japanese, though you don't say) which is sort of amusing that you project morality of an act based on the law. You continue to do so, and still try to use straw man defenses to defend yourself.

So because the PSP has terrible sales (you blame piracy, I look at the gameboy, ds, gba that all had extensive piracy and laugh) you believe that you have some moral justification to bitch about it. OK, I'll do you one better. Charter schools are hiring non-licensed teachers and killing my union's bargaining power. I'm affected by it, so therefore I should have a right to imprison them or sue them because my union has failed to react to their presense. Right? I mean if I'm affected by something, I have some kind of legal standing to bitch, piss, and moan and take legal action against them?

Your work was stolen? Really? So you've had your house broken into? You've been denied use of your property? Damn, so have I. People broke into my house all the time in college. That's why I got insurance. Why don't you get insurance for your imaginary property? Oh, they don't sell it? Why not? It's imaginary? That's odd... I thought you said they were the same thing? So you mean you were just spouting hyperbole so that you can make a martyr of yourself? Oh... ya that's amazing.

Perhaps I can start a straw man argument about being gay denies churches of income due to a lack of gay marriage, and therefore is violation of their intellectual property. Or is my argument a too ridiculous extension of your ridiculous argument? 

truthiness said:
XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:

Where do you get off judging others for pirating anyways? Did the RIAA appoint you or something? Seriously, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. I am sure all of us have done much worse things than pirating music.

Using the same rigid moral standards as you, if you ever had premarital sex, you are going to be severely punished for it, not only in the Judeo-Christian moral system, but in most of the moral systems around the world. Have you had pre-marital sex? That is worse than pirating and it looks like you are going to go to hell for it.

Well, I didn't judge anybody, as I said to you in my previous post, it's my opinion, my way to do, I don't care about what YOU do and I respect it.

And about moral, I am GAY. So yeah, I had A LOT of pre marital sex, don't worry. So much for my rigidity, hey.

You are a creator? You don't say? Well since everyone here is a creator, that means absolutely nothing. My comment about it being a crime here deals with the SCALE of copyright infringement. Commercial and large scale is a crime. Everything else is a tort. Your country's laws may vary (I'm assuming you are Japanese, though you don't say) which is sort of amusing that you project morality of an act based on the law. You continue to do so, and still try to use straw man defenses to defend yourself.

So because the PSP has terrible sales (you blame piracy, I look at the gameboy, ds, gba that all had extensive piracy and laugh) you believe that you have some moral justification to bitch about it. OK, I'll do you one better. Charter schools are hiring non-licensed teachers and killing my union's bargaining power. I'm affected by it, so therefore I should have a right to imprison them or sue them because my union has failed to react to their presense. Right? I mean if I'm affected by something, I have some kind of legal standing to bitch, piss, and moan and take legal action against them?

Your work was stolen? Really? So you've had your house broken into? You've been denied use of your property? Damn, so have I. People broke into my house all the time in college. That's why I got insurance. Why don't you get insurance for your imaginary property? Oh, they don't sell it? Why not? It's imaginary? That's odd... I thought you said they were the same thing? So you mean you were just spouting hyperbole so that you can make a martyr of yourself? Oh... ya that's amazing.

Perhaps I can start a straw man argument about being gay denies churches of income due to a lack of gay marriage, and therefore is violation of their intellectual property. Or is my argument a too ridiculous extension of your ridiculous argument? 

Dude, put the pipe down. What the hell does half of that mean? I am just going to call you an idiot and move along. But I absolutely had to do it in a post.

Your school argument alone has me perplexed. Is what they are doing illegal? If so, then yes, you should do something about it. If not, then it just sucks and maybe you should take action to have it made illegal. At any rate, it holds no real water at all. Why are you picking on someone that clearly stated they have an opinion? You disagree, but one of those two opinions in on the side of the law and basc moral principles, and thee other is yours. Let it go. Agree to disagree.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000