By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your stance on piracy?

Double post?

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

Anything I download, I will purchase if it is good enough.... simple but the rule of thumb for me.

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

I've graduated, so discuss it with me.

Copyright infringement is normally a civil tort - its only recently become a crime, and usually only pertains to higher levels of copyright infringement. If you are implying that copyright infringement is normally a crime, you are not only wrong, but you are bullshitting. You don't even care about the truth, and would rather just spout nonsense without any worry for the truth.

Seconldy, copyright infringement does not deny anyone else the use of a good. If I steal a pair of pants, no one else can buy that pair and there is a material loss for the good. Piracy can at best have "projected" losses, and that's about the best they can do. Sure you can point to Dreamcast as a company being killed by it, but that is about as much as a stretch as you can pull. Sega was already dying, and the PS2 was the death blow that finished the job. Piracy was the sissy slap that everyone seems to blame, rather than the really obvious problems.

Thirdly, intellectual property is not a god given right - it is a limitation on your your rights for the benefit of others. IP is not designed for their individual gain, it is supposed to benefit the whole of society. That's a very understandable idea - the arts and sciences advancement benefits everyone, and we should encourage them. However, when it no longer advances arts and sciences, and rather proves to damage society more than it benefits, the moral justification for IP goes down the drain. You can bitch and moan about how it's illegal, but as someone who claims to be an adult your knowledge that such black and white statements are nonsense seems to call that into question. It was technically illegal for blacks to marry whites, it was technically illegal for people to receive blowjobs, but it would be a stretch to call that immoral. Copyright infringement could theoretically deny someone that sale, but judging from the dozen or so studies on the subject, people who used napster were more likely to buy more CDs. The average person who got into copyright infringement was using it as a way to find new music. If they weren't going to buy a CD, as you are arguing college students don't, then it was probably unlikely that they would regardless.

I know you are trying to call all moral gray areas as black and white, but that is not how reality works.
Grow up and get off your high horse. I have a job (well actually I work two jobs), and work with kids who can see through your tripe.

Exactly, that somes up pretty much what I believe, not just the bolded part but pretty much the whole comment.

Wii code: 6355-7594-5867-2364 Wii name: Mo Smash Bros Brawl: 5198-6095-4615 Cue Sports Revolution: 5327-4649-0447 Mario Kart Wii: 3308-8543-5834

SIG A.W.O.L

Woah I go away for a day come back and a thread I made is already at 122 posts. Ah how do I read all of this.

I'm essentially against piracy, but the trick is to define it and understand when it matters and when it doesn't.

For example large scale piracy is clearly harmful in terms of potentially harming the revenue of artists and IP owners. However given that digital piracy does not mean anything physical was stolen, does a young kid downloading music they can't afford anyway impact the artists/owners?

I'm automatically on the side of the artists - a song writer, novelist, film director, etc. should not have to worry about their creations being 'stolen' if the theft is meaningful. However I think the truth is there are a lot of grey areas where apparent piracy takes places but little or no harm is done.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
truthiness said:

You are a creator? You don't say? Well since everyone here is a creator, that means absolutely nothing. My comment about it being a crime here deals with the SCALE of copyright infringement. Commercial and large scale is a crime. Everything else is a tort. Your country's laws may vary (I'm assuming you are Japanese, though you don't say) which is sort of amusing that you project morality of an act based on the law. You continue to do so, and still try to use straw man defenses to defend yourself.

So because the PSP has terrible sales (you blame piracy, I look at the gameboy, ds, gba that all had extensive piracy and laugh) you believe that you have some moral justification to bitch about it. OK, I'll do you one better. Charter schools are hiring non-licensed teachers and killing my union's bargaining power. I'm affected by it, so therefore I should have a right to imprison them or sue them because my union has failed to react to their presense. Right? I mean if I'm affected by something, I have some kind of legal standing to bitch, piss, and moan and take legal action against them?

Your work was stolen? Really? So you've had your house broken into? You've been denied use of your property? Damn, so have I. People broke into my house all the time in college. That's why I got insurance. Why don't you get insurance for your imaginary property? Oh, they don't sell it? Why not? It's imaginary? That's odd... I thought you said they were the same thing? So you mean you were just spouting hyperbole so that you can make a martyr of yourself? Oh... ya that's amazing.

Perhaps I can start a straw man argument about being gay denies churches of income due to a lack of gay marriage, and therefore is violation of their intellectual property. Or is my argument a too ridiculous extension of your ridiculous argument?

Wow.

At last, your 1st post had some sense in it.

I won't go as low as to call you an idiot either.

So you justify the fact that people stole some stuff from you by the fact that you have an insurance ? That"s the pinacle of your post.

I won't got into legal details (actually I don't think my english level would enable me to explain it to someone who didn't study law), but  you have to know that what constitute property for Material Goods and Immaterial Goods is not the same. Thus, rights attached to it are way different.

Also, of course you have the right to sue into justice anyone who harms you or your rights, but I don't see where is the point in mentionning that. 

And YES, your argument about gay mariage DO is a too ridiculous extension of your own ridiculous post. 

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

GhaudePhaede010 said:
akuma587 said:
I recently found a band Ivy. I downloaded three of their albums, but I also paid for two. I would never have felt compelled to buy that many if I wasn't able to listen to some of the albums I downloaded.

And that is your way of saying, "Stealing is alright."

I got into every single band by just trying out a cd. Sure there are a bunch of cd's from bands I dislike that I paid for, but hey, I could have tried free samples first (actually, now I do that but in 1997 through early 2000, I did not have high-speed internet so it took forever). If I want to listen to a band, I can ask for suggestions, find a free sample (if provided, which normally is) and make a decision from there.

A band like Nightwish, however, I just took one look at the cover art and said, "Why not try this out?" And they became one of my favorite bands. I did not need to steal two albums first in order to decide what to buy. You have no legs to stand on with that. Please try again.

I promise if the band comes within a reasonable radius of me I will see them in concert.  They will make more money off that than me buying 4 of their cd's.  I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to supporting bands by going seeing their live shows.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

"I put my money where my mouth is when it comes to supporting bands by going seeing their live shows."

Yet you will steal from them, and the people that helped get them to where they are. That makes absolutely no sense. You are only putting your money where you have no choice. If you could pirate the live concert (as in be there for free with no consequence) you would probably do that too. You steal, and that is all that I can gather from you.

I buy thee albums and go to their live shows. Does that make a bit of difference to you? Because what you said makes about the same amount of difference to me.

Stealing is not about only about taking money from the people (notice the word only). It also relates to how you dictate morals. I cannot see how you do not understand this.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I am very anti-piracy for all mediums. I play games, listen to music, read comics, etc. When I purchase something I am supporting the continued production of what I like.

I buy Wii games. and rent them from gamefly. because the more money I spend on Wii games is a bigger vote for more Wii Games. I have started putting Ps3 games on my GameQ, and there are a few coming up I might purchase if my brother does not.
Those are my actions to help gaming.

I hated the Civil War Storyline so much that I stopped buying massive amounts of Marvels books each month. I doubt they miss my money, but my lack of spending is a vote against their current stories. Conversely, my friend who complains about me being picky and unreasonable when it comes to comics- downloads them. His approval of Marvel is not registered, but my lack of approval is.

I joined Itunes to download Stargate-Sg1 in support of the show. I also download Scrubs from them. I only rarely buy Dvds because there was a time I was buying so many of them that I wasn't watching them. The few I buy are only things I really like and want to support.

Edit: I personally have no respect for pirates- in terms of people who steal content, not the seafaring kind. The excuses are the same for all mediums and they are all equally lame.  

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Piracy is shit for the video game industry. If you do not want to pay full price because you can not afford it or a tight wad. Well I suggest you either get a better paying job or wait for the games to drop in price. Video game piracy which is rife in Asian countries where there are little or no laws to prevent piracy is a bad thing. Lots of funds from piracy goes to organised criminal gangs and terrorists.