By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your stance on piracy?

XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:
Once again, those who think that someone who doesn't pirate stuff is morally superior than someone who does is PATHETIC. If you really think you are going to make the world a better place by paying 99 cents to Itunes for the songs you download, I laugh in your face, wholeheartedly.

it's not going to make me any saint

but it will make it easier for me not to get entitled for 3 years of prison and not to be condamned to pay 300.000 € for it...

moment, mister yet-to-become attorney

You know what, one of my friends was actually charged by the RIAA for piracy (she is a college girl who was using Limewire in the dorms) and she got a $3000 settlement.  Hell, that would be a small price to pay for all the songs I have downloaded and DVD's I have copied.  Those are definitely worth $3000 to me.  Yet I didn't have to pay for ANY of them.  Life is great isn't it!

The RIAA has their thumbs up their asses when it comes to piracy.  The amount of piracy that goes unchecked in this country is insane.  The only effective solution to piracy is offering the same services for a small fee, like Itunes, coupled with the average person's fear of doing something illegal based on anecdotal reports, etc. of things happening to others.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

If you want to make fun of other posters for supposedly being young and uneducated, you might want to fix your spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar first. It's not exactly helping you out there.

Also, mind-rape.

Sorry guy. I was not making fun of anybody, just saying that we are not in the same period of our lives, meaning we don't have the same vision about money.

But if your only argument is attacking your Interlocutor's English, it's vain. I am not an english native speaker and I speak fluently japanese, german, french and chinese. For notice.

akuma587 said:

You know what, one of my friends was actually charged by the RIAA for piracy (she is a college girl who was using Limewire in the dorms) and she got a $3000 settlement. Hell, that would be a small price to pay for all the songs I have downloaded and DVD's I have copied. Those are definitely worth $3000 to me. Yet I didn't have to pay for ANY of them. Life is great isn't it!

The RIAA has their thumbs up their asses when it comes to piracy. The amount of piracy that goes unchecked in this country is insane. The only effective solution to piracy is offering the same services for a small fee, like Itunes, coupled with the average person's fear of doing something illegal based on anecdotal reports, etc. of things happening to others.

I see. So you prefer to pay the settlement then to follow the law. That's your decision, not mine. But I respect your "choice".

And sorry about your friend. Mine had this kind of troubles too

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

XiaoMay said:
Garcian Smith said:

If you want to make fun of other posters for supposedly being young and uneducated, you might want to fix your spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar first. It's not exactly helping you out there.

Also, mind-rape.

Sorry guy. I was not making fun of anybody, just saying that we are not in the same period of our lives, meaning we don't have the same vision about money.

But if your only argument is attacking your Interlocutor's English, it's vain. I am not an english native speaker and I speak fluently japanese, german, french and chinese. For notice.

Yes, obviously money must mean less to you, Mister Six-Figure, Multilingual, Fully-Matured Adult Lawyer Posting on an Internet Forum.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit MIND-RAPE on a few more hapless victims...

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

XiaoMay said:

I see. So you prefer to pay the settlement then to follow the law. That's your decision, not mine. But I respect your "choice".

And sorry about your friend. Mine had this kind of troubles too

Don't feel sorry for her. If you pirate stupidly you deserve to get caught. I still tease her about it. But guess what? She has no qualms about me giving her copies of the music I have downloaded illegally, although she won't download it for herself. Seems like even a fine of $3000 wasn't enough to prevent her from pirating in some shape or form. Mission accomplished RIAA, or something.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Garcian Smith said:
XiaoMay said:
Garcian Smith said:

Also, mind-rape.

Yes, obviously money must mean less to you, Mister Six-Figure, Multilingual, Fully-Matured Adult Lawyer Posting on an Internet Forum.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit MIND-RAPE on a few more hapless victims...

Sorry girl, but it's the contrary. Money has more value to me, because I know the value of work. That's why I respect creation and creators. Sorry that you can not understand such a concept.

Also, I am not the one who used the term "mind rapind" at first, you are. So I don't understand why you keep throwing this expression to me...

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

Around the Network
XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:
XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:
Piracy is for smart people. Now I will still buy cd's, Blu-rays (never DVD's), and of course video games (too difficult/too risky to pirate usually) sometimes, but if you arent at least pirating music, you are dumb and a corporate slave,

If you really want to support a band, go see them in concert. They make WAY more from that than you buying their CD. Movie studios really don't need your help in the first place, unless it is a smaller budget indie film or a very ambitious but niche movie you want to support.

poor guys

trying to justify your weaknesss...

industry is not just about a band or a studio... think about all people working from the distribution line to the retailler before you pirate anything

Also, "smart guy", I DO hope that if you create anything one day, someone will steal it from you and use it

he will be the smarter one, and you will be the mind-raped one

but I supose you are this kind of student who yet has to learn what is work and creation and what it is to see your work stolen and what it is to work to get something

Oh my God! I have seen the light! Your moral fortitude has converted me! How could I forget about all those people working desk jobs in Hollywood! I have now decided to stop donating to the charity organization I am the president of that helps Chinese orphans (around $300-700 a year) and give it all to corporations who make the world a better place! I will also stop working with my volunteer organization and get a job so that I can pay for all those products I have stolen! I will never donate blood again either, and sell my blood to back street dealers so that I can buy of those beautiful optical discs wrapped in cellophane that gives my empty life a meaning.

Seriously dude, there are more important things than paying for your music. Pirating music and movies in no way shape or form dictates my morality, although I do agree it is stealing. I stole a potential sale though, I didn't walk into a store and steal something off the shelf. I will not try to justify that piracy should be legal, whether or not it is "wrong" is debatable. You are pathetic if you think not pirating music/movies makes you a better person than someone else.

let s talk about this when you will be 24 or 25 and graduated ok ?

discussing about piracy with children who are still playing with papa and mama is not very constructive.

For you, it's your only way to play, i reckon. You have to pay for your phone bill and clothes with the money your parents grant you

This doesn't make piracy any less of a crime, sorry

Never does it prevent it from being a hit to the talent of the one who created the games

What is No More Heroes for you ? A game which might never have seen a seque, like Killer7, if everybody was playing the "piracy-is-ok,-cause-I-am-against-consumerism" melody

think about it, girls

I've graduated, so discuss it with me.

Copyright infringement is normally a civil tort - its only recently become a crime, and usually only pertains to higher levels of copyright infringement. If you are implying that copyright infringement is normally a crime, you are not only wrong, but you are bullshitting. You don't even care about the truth, and would rather just spout nonsense without any worry for the truth.

Seconldy, copyright infringement does not deny anyone else the use of a good. If I steal a pair of pants, no one else can buy that pair and there is a material loss for the good. Piracy can at best have "projected" losses, and that's about the best they can do. Sure you can point to Dreamcast as a company being killed by it, but that is about as much as a stretch as you can pull. Sega was already dying, and the PS2 was the death blow that finished the job. Piracy was the sissy slap that everyone seems to blame, rather than the really obvious problems.

Thirdly, intellectual property is not a god given right - it is a limitation on your your rights for the benefit of others. IP is not designed for their individual gain, it is supposed to benefit the whole of society. That's a very understandable idea - the arts and sciences advancement benefits everyone, and we should encourage them. However, when it no longer advances arts and sciences, and rather proves to damage society more than it benefits, the moral justification for IP goes down the drain. You can bitch and moan about how it's illegal, but as someone who claims to be an adult your knowledge that such black and white statements are nonsense seems to call that into question. It was technically illegal for blacks to marry whites, it was technically illegal for people to receive blowjobs, but it would be a stretch to call that immoral. Copyright infringement could theoretically deny someone that sale, but judging from the dozen or so studies on the subject, people who used napster were more likely to buy more CDs. The average person who got into copyright infringement was using it as a way to find new music. If they weren't going to buy a CD, as you are arguing college students don't, then it was probably unlikely that they would regardless.

I know you are trying to call all moral gray areas as black and white, but that is not how reality works. 
Grow up and get off your high horse. I have a job (well actually I work two jobs), and work with kids who can see through your tripe. 

First.I have NEVER said I knew about your country's legislation, only that in my own country it was considered as a crime.

Also, you contradict yourself : you said it is now considered as a crime by your law. meaning it DOES is a crime. And whether it's only a civil tort or not doesn't change it's nature, it's still illegal, isn't it ?

Secondly, OF COURSE, copyright infringement does not deny other people the use of something you stole. But doesnt it deny YOU the right to use (steal) it in the first place ? I don't see your point here.

Also, see the PSP's case : high sells for system and zero for software. That's, FOR SURE, is good for video games and gamers. Thanks.

Thirdly, the fact that you compare the right to use piracy to the right to marry black people or do blowjobs is laughable. We are not talking human rights here. Some people DID create these games : they DID protect it, and they DID wanted to SELL it. They are the one in who try to protect their right.

Yeah, there also used to be a time when piracy was legal. Of course, society evolved and now protect creators and creation. Lucky us.

If they wanted to give it to you, it would be free, wouldn't it ?

Moral is of course not white and black, but don't try to justify your own immorality. Just assume it.

XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:
XiaoMay said:
akuma587 said:
Piracy is for smart people. Now I will still buy cd's, Blu-rays (never DVD's), and of course video games (too difficult/too risky to pirate usually) sometimes, but if you arent at least pirating music, you are dumb and a corporate slave,

If you really want to support a band, go see them in concert. They make WAY more from that than you buying their CD. Movie studios really don't need your help in the first place, unless it is a smaller budget indie film or a very ambitious but niche movie you want to support.

poor guys

trying to justify your weaknesss...

industry is not just about a band or a studio... think about all people working from the distribution line to the retailler before you pirate anything

Also, "smart guy", I DO hope that if you create anything one day, someone will steal it from you and use it

he will be the smarter one, and you will be the mind-raped one

but I supose you are this kind of student who yet has to learn what is work and creation and what it is to see your work stolen and what it is to work to get something

Oh my God! I have seen the light! Your moral fortitude has converted me! How could I forget about all those people working desk jobs in Hollywood! I have now decided to stop donating to the charity organization I am the president of that helps Chinese orphans (around $300-700 a year) and give it all to corporations who make the world a better place! I will also stop working with my volunteer organization and get a job so that I can pay for all those products I have stolen! I will never donate blood again either, and sell my blood to back street dealers so that I can buy of those beautiful optical discs wrapped in cellophane that gives my empty life a meaning.

Seriously dude, there are more important things than paying for your music. Pirating music and movies in no way shape or form dictates my morality, although I do agree it is stealing. I stole a potential sale though, I didn't walk into a store and steal something off the shelf. I will not try to justify that piracy should be legal, whether or not it is "wrong" is debatable. You are pathetic if you think not pirating music/movies makes you a better person than someone else.

let s talk about this when you will be 24 or 25 and graduated ok ?

discussing about piracy with children who are still playing with papa and mama is not very constructive.

For you, it's your only way to play, i reckon. You have to pay for your phone bill and clothes with the money your parents grant you

This doesn't make piracy any less of a crime, sorry

Never does it prevent it from being a hit to the talent of the one who created the games

What is No More Heroes for you ? A game which might never have seen a seque, like Killer7, if everybody was playing the "piracy-is-ok,-cause-I-am-against-consumerism" melody

think about it, girls

Actually if the games industry follows the pattern of the music industry it's likely No More Hereos would of saw increased sales do to piracy.

Piracy in music is a zero gain or loss, though it does seem to do a bit of "communism" by distributed some buys away from the more popular and bigger songs and instead help those sales go to smaller lesser known bands.

There is a reason why the bigger companies and bands like Metallica were against things like Napster while little known norweigian bands and all sorts of other bands supported it and even advertised their songs for free.

Itunes REALLY screwed them as well.  The big companies were so afraid piracy was going to spread to everyone (because they're paranoid) they made a deal with apple to sell songs for 99 cents each, which they've tried to get out of nearly right after they made it.

Itunes has actually lost them revenue.   

XiaoMay said:

First.I have NEVER said I knew about your country's legislation, only that in my own country it was considered as a crime.

Also, you contradict yourself : you said it is now considered as a crime by your law. meaning it DOES is a crime. And whether it's only a civil tort or not doesn't change it's nature, it's still illegal, isn't it ?

Secondly, OF COURSE, copyright infringement does not deny other people the use of something you stole. But doesnt it deny YOU the right to use (steal) it in the first place ? I don't see your point here.

Also, see the PSP's case : high sells for system and zero for software. That's, FOR SURE, is good for video games and gamers. Thanks.

Thirdly, the fact that you compare the right to use piracy to the right to marry black people or do blowjobs is laughable. We are not talking human rights here. Some people DID create these games : they DID protect it, and they DID wanted to SELL it. They are the one in who try to protect their right.

Yeah, there also used to be a time when piracy was legal. Of course, society evolved and now protect creators and creation. Lucky us.

If they wanted to give it to you, it would be free, wouldn't it ?

Moral is of course not white and black, but don't try to justify your own immorality. Just assume it.

Where do you get off judging others for pirating anyways?  Did the RIAA appoint you or something?  Seriously, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house.  I am sure all of us have done much worse things than pirating music. 

Using the same rigid moral standards as you, if you ever had premarital sex, you are going to be severely punished for it, not only in the Judeo-Christian moral system, but in most of the moral systems around the world.  Have you had pre-marital sex?  That is worse than pirating and it looks like you are going to go to hell for it.

akuma587 said:

Where do you get off judging others for pirating anyways? Did the RIAA appoint you or something? Seriously, don't throw stones when you live in a glass house. I am sure all of us have done much worse things than pirating music.

Using the same rigid moral standards as you, if you ever had premarital sex, you are going to be severely punished for it, not only in the Judeo-Christian moral system, but in most of the moral systems around the world. Have you had pre-marital sex? That is worse than pirating and it looks like you are going to go to hell for it.

Well, I didn't judge anybody, as I said to you in my previous post, it's my opinion, my way to do, I don't care about what YOU do and I respect it.

Of course, if the industry crumble because of piracy like PSP is doing, I will be affected too...

Also, I have the right to give my opinion because I am myself a creator and I have always felt raped whenever my work is stolen. That's it.

And about moral, I am GAY. So yeah, I had A LOT of pre marital sex, don't worry. So much for my rigidity, hey.