By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - letters to nintendo (if starfox 64 can have it, why not zelda?)

tastyshovelware said:
@damkira

well, games like devil may cry, viewtiful joe, RE4, im pretty sure jak3, ninja gaiden, and others offer a hard difficultly. It can't be too hard to do.

As for the voice acting, it adds a cinematic quality. Like, when a villain speaks, it has much more punch (when done well) then just reading text.

oh, i forgot to mention, other people, feel free to post your 'letters to nintendo....' which i guess will be answered by forum goers.

Voice acting is double edged, it has to be done perfectly or it will in fact take away from the quality and believeability of the game. There's people who read books because reading is fun and fundamental, reading in a game is a very minor thing if it's that much trouble go play a game like most FPS's where you can pretty much jump in without knowing anything about any story or any of the characters.

I read text even when there's voice acting and in the past have turned voice acting off 99% of the time it's bad and embaressing. It's a freaking insult most of the time. Gannon needs to be silent Zelda needs to be silent and Link needs to be silent. I've been playing Zelda since 1989 and there's no voice they could give to any of them that would be right for me.

P.S. I'm clearly insane by most gamers standards as I prefer slow pacing lot's of story and lot's of text. I'm that guy who talks to EVERYBODY in EVERY town in an RPG.

P.S.S. Yes even the animals. 

Around the Network

Zelda does not need voice acting.

makingmusic476 said:
RolStoppable said:
I like Bacon said:
SF64 FTW! Zelda games do have voice acting, like: "HIYAAA!!!", "hmmph." and "AHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Let's not forget about "Hey!" and "Listen".

Speaking of that, I've always wanted to buy this shirt:

If only I could find some place that actually sells it. :(

It's a VGCats shirt. You can get them at their store.

http://www.zestuff.com/vgcats/apparel/26

On topic:

Voice acting in Zelda would be a huge mistake imo. No matter how good the voice actors are, people will just complain that they are bad and that it ruined the series. ...Or at least I would.

Voice acting sucks ass!

*Looks at Oblivion*

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad

i understand everyone's concern but in reality video game voice acting has come a long way over the last 10 years.

i remember in the mid 90s i was all out against voice acting. the voice acting you did find in those days was almost always terrible.

but nowadays many game designers are much more careful about who they hire to act in their games. On top of that, voice acting directors seem to have a better idea of what they're dealing with as well.

Games like splinter cell, jak and daxter, and god of war have great voice acting that really pushes the game forward. Same goes for metal gear solid.

I'm not saying text has to go away. Like with an rpg, i don't expect everyone in the town to talk, just the key players during key story related moments. I know that there are still games with bad voice acting but i have faith that nintendo could do it right. after all, look at metroid.

ps. some voice acting rocks. like house of the dead 2. even though it's done by people who have no clear understanding of the english language, it still rocks in that house of the dead sort of way.

Around the Network

LOL... the Voice acting in FF ruined FF 10 so....

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

i didn't care for some of the va work in ff10 but it had more problems then that.... like 1000 unskippable cinematics.

DarkNight_DS said:
LOL... the Voice acting in FF ruined FF 10 so....
I liked some  of the voice acting in 12 though, especially Dr. Cid.  Best crazy evil scientist voiceover evar.

I'm all for Link speaking actually... Especially if they can teach Elijah Wood how to speak Hylian for the part and if the writers only make him speak the line "Well excuse me!" once in this or any other game, and that line also has to be in Hylian, along with everything else Link says, with the text serving as subtitles...

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!

@ makingmusic476: Do NOT diss Charles Martinet... The guy is a voice-over GOD! He has voiced Mario ever since Mario had a voice... Seriously, go piss up a rope.

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!