By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Watch_Dogs sold over 4 millions units during its first week

wow, just wow...

Around the Network

These are not shipped numbers.

DerNebel said:
osed125 said:
DerNebel said:
News like this also tell us that gaming is in no shape or form dying, which is great.

It tells us that in order to be succesful you'll need to spend hundreds of millions in a single game or go indie.

OT: congrats to Ubi, if I had time I would have already bought this, maybe ill get the Wii U version at some point.

How does it tell us that?

Is safe to assume that (including marketing) watch dogs budget most lilely went over the 100 million mark, most extremely succesful games also fall into that category (or get close to it). A game who is considered AAA but doesn't have marketing (or not enough) will most likely going to fail. This means that big companies will spend all of their resources in maybe 2 or 3 games a year, leaving the rest to "die".

The game indistry has basically become a "go big or go home" market, with some few exceptions here and there.

The game industry might grow in terms of made revenue because of those 2 or 3 mega hits, but it wont grow in quantity (game wise)

Nintendo and PC gamer

BenVTrigger said:
celador said:
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:
Where is BenV to give us an idea of which version sold the most?

PS4 > XB1 > X360 > PS3 > PC

Did new-gen hardware receive a boost?

PS4 in Hulk Smash mode again

X1 is Bruce Banner

Hey folks, new guy here! Ben, I understand if you can't be specific, but when you say PS4 is hulking out, what are we talking? +300k for May? Did The Show and WD combined move a significant amount of units? 

EricFabian said:
DerNebel said:

Why shouldn't that be pointed out by people?

In this case it's still not clear, "sold through" normally means sold to customers, but this could also be a mistake from the PR guy.

why? Well is simple:

Nintendo release some numbers: no, is shipped. Let's wait for VGC data.

>ioi hints that PS4 and Wii U numbers will be close<

Meh, VGC data is not valid. Let's wait for NPD!

>Ubisoft release numbers<

OMG! Is true, I believe.

I just found... interesting ^^

I don't really care how people tried to downplay MK8 and the Wii U, I just looked at the wording of both press releases and arrived at the conclusion that MK8 is shipped + digital (with, as I've been saying alot since yesterday, probably very high sell through) and WD, seems at this point to be sold + digital.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
DerNebel said:

Is safe to assume that (including marketing) watch dogs budget most lilely went over the 100 million mark, most extremely succesful games also fall into that category (or get close to it). A game who is considered AAA but doesn't have marketing (or not enough) will most likely going to fail. This means that big companies will spend all of their resources in maybe 2 or 3 games a year, leaving the rest to "die".

The game indistry has basically become a "go big or go home" market, with some few exceptions here and there.

The game industry might grow in terms of made revenue because of those 2 or 3 mega hits, but it wont grow in quantity (game wise)

Puh, that's what you get from a big game breaking sales records? Why so negative?

All Watch Dogs' massive success tells me, is that the game market is alive and kicking, this doesn't mean that smaller games can't be financially viable still.

This week's hardware numbers can't come soon enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don't really care how people tried to downplay MK8 and the Wii U, I just looked at the wording of both press releases and arrived at the conclusion that MK8 is shipped + digital (with, as I've been saying alot since yesterday, probably very high sell through) and WD, seems at this point to be sold + digital.

We can see soon. With NPD (2 days of sales) and tomorrows Media Create/Famitsu, we can estimate if the 1.2mil is solded or shipped

Edit: So for Ex, if US sold 300k and im japan it sold 300k, its safe to say 1.2mil figure is shipped.

So far we know just these 2 for MK8 sales....

UK: 54k-110k

Japan: 300k+

padib said:
DerNebel said:

Puh, that's what you get from a big game breaking sales records? Why so negative?

All Watch Dogs' massive success tells me, is that the game market is alive and kicking, this doesn't mean that smaller games can't be financially viable still.

We should see smaller games selling and being profitable then.

I think Osed is dead on.

And we don't?

DerNebel said:
osed125 said:
DerNebel said:

I'm not saying the game industry is dead. What I'm saying is that games like Watch Dogs show that companies need to go for insanely big numbers in order to be profitable, and like I said, this will mean less games (not counting indie of course) each year

Nintendo and PC gamer