By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Watch_Dogs sold over 4 millions units during its first week

outlawauron said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:
tbone51 said:

Is this shipped+digital?

Yes it is and it always will be unless a publishers is citing a tracking service.

They are citing tracking services (asterisks). And they said sold-through.

No they are not. The aterisks were all for internal rewards and common sense (no other game will have come close, even if Mario Kart's 1.2 million shipment sold out). The only source for the 4 million is how much Ubisoft sold through to retailers (they are Ubisoft's customers, not you). 

If you at the press release itself, you'll see they use tracking services and internal data to determine they're the number one selling new IP. None of it is explicitly tied to the 4 million sold/shipped figure.

...has sold-through more than 4 million copies in its first week, positioning it as the best-selling new IP at launch across the video game industry*

*based on NPD and GFK data and internal estimates as of June 3, 2014

Seems clear to me they are referring to both the 4m figure and beig no. 1.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

That's awesome for Ubisoft! Though I'm probably never gonna be able to play on my PC, which is for abandonware.

Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:
tbone51 said:

Is this shipped+digital?

Yes it is and it always will be unless a publishers is citing a tracking service.

They are citing tracking services (asterisks). And they said sold-through.

No they are not. The aterisks were all for internal rewards and common sense (no other game will have come close, even if Mario Kart's 1.2 million shipment sold out). The only source for the 4 million is how much Ubisoft sold through to retailers (they are Ubisoft's customers, not you). 

If you at the press release itself, you'll see they use tracking services and internal data to determine they're the number one selling new IP. None of it is explicitly tied to the 4 million sold/shipped figure.

...has sold-through more than 4 million copies in its first week, positioning it as the best-selling new IP at launch across the video game industry*

That's because you're assuming it. I'm assuming that they're talking about it being the best selling new IP using the historical data the two services offer.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

That's because you're assuming it. I'm assuming that they're talking about it being the best selling new IP using the historical data the two services offer.

They don't need to estimate how many units they've shipped they know exactly. They are using NPD figures for other new IP's sales, and their own internal estimates (which they get from retailers like us who order more shipments based on our sales) to figure out it was the best selling new IP.

outlawauron said:

That sentence is pretty clearly formulated, but if you get a different idea from it we'll just have to disagree.

I've never seen a company use sold-through and mean shipped. Sold-through literally means sold to consumers. The term for shipped is sold-in (or just sold). Maybe you have some examples of sold-through being used for shipped, I don't know.

In any case, this game has outpaced ACIII (their previous record), which sold 3.1m week one on PS3 and X360.

So yes, this game has sold 4m copies, unless they sold 3.2m and just shipped 4m, which is very doubtful and would make the game impossible to find now.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

Damn, it's crazy that Watch Dogs, a game that was getting so much hate as of late, outsold the supposed GOTG, Titanfall. Mostly because it turned out to be a decent game AND launched on this gen's leading console. After this year, MS is really going to have a tough time persuading 3rd party devs to go exclusive with their games from now on. I also bet that EA is kicking themselves right now.

Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:

That sentence is pretty clearly formulated, but if you get a different idea from it we'll just have to disagree.

I've never seen a company use sold-through and mean shipped. Sold-through literally means sold to consumers. The term for shipped is sold-in (or just sold). Maybe you have some examples of sold-through being used for shipped, I don't know.

In any case, this game has outpaced ACIII (their previous record), which sold 3.1m week one on PS3 and X360.

So yes, this game has sold 4m copies, unless they sold 3.2m and just shipped 4m, which is very doubtful and would make the game impossible to find now.

Why do you bother? He obviously either cannot comprehend the meaning of the word, or, which is more likely, refuses to accept it because it doesn't fit his agenda.

Boutros said:

"Sold-through"

That term has no meaning anymore. It's supposed to refer to units shipped which are actually sold to consumers. But I'm not even sure PR people use it accordingly.

Well it has a meaning it just means that the company sold its entire product run to retailers and not to consumers. 

Best part about this is its seems games other than FPS are starting to have mass market su:e $ again

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I didn't really put into perspective but 4 Million copies sold on a total of around 180 million console s in homes acrossed the world ( 85+. PS3, 85+360, 7+ PS4 4+ XOne) isn't that impressive. Dont know why people get all hyped about it. Would like to see this gens numbers to last gens funny how those aren't up. MK8 1.2 Million 6 million consoles argument done.