By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Watch_Dogs sold over 4 millions units during its first week

Burek said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:

That's because you're assuming it. I'm assuming that they're talking about it being the best selling new IP using the historical data the two services offer.

That sentence is pretty clearly formulated, but if you get a different idea from it we'll just have to disagree.

I've never seen a company use sold-through and mean shipped. Sold-through literally means sold to consumers. The term for shipped is sold-in (or just sold). Maybe you have some examples of sold-through being used for shipped, I don't know.

In any case, this game has outpaced ACIII (their previous record), which sold 3.1m week one on PS3 and X360.

So yes, this game has sold 4m copies, unless they sold 3.2m and just shipped 4m, which is very doubtful and would make the game impossible to find now.

Why do you bother? He obviously either cannot comprehend the meaning of the word, or, which is more likely, refuses to accept it because it doesn't fit his agenda.

Please tell me more about my agenda.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
DolPhanTendo said:
I didn't really put into perspective but 4 Million copies sold on a total of around 180 million console s in homes acrossed the world ( 85+. PS3, 85+360, 7+ PS4 4+ XOne) isn't that impressive. Dont know why people get all hyped about it. Would like to see this gens numbers to last gens funny how those aren't up. MK8 1.2 Million 6 million consoles argument done.

Well, if you want perspectives:

There are over 7 billion people in the world. This week, 4 million decided to buy Watch Dogs, and only 1.2 million decided to buy MK8.

Which means that people are 233% more interested in Watch Dogs.

Yeah, I know, stats suck...

tbone51 said:
biglittlesps said:

We can see soon. With NPD (2 days of sales) and tomorrows Media Create/Famitsu, we can estimate if the 1.2mil is solded or shipped

Edit: So for Ex, if US sold 300k and im japan it sold 300k, its safe to say 1.2mil figure is shipped.

So far we know just these 2 for MK8 sales....

UK: 54k-110k

Japan: 300k+

Are you applying 666% to 10k europe sales? because that increase is only for UK and Wii U is around 2k accoring to VGC for last week. I dont think Europe will get such big bump and i expect around 30-40k mostly for Europe(15k+ for UK). 

And USA preorders are approx 300k according to VGC, so this can be around 400k+ for USA.

So far we have around 700-800k.

USA - 400k+

UK - 15k+

JAPAN - 300k+

No, you got it wrong im doing MK8 software sales for UK. Its over 54k there but less than 110k. Its the 2nd Highest MK debut, 

Also my estimates were an example. Hiska found out that japan sales will be around 350k maybe even close to 400k FW.

Then add US that potentially can add another 400k. Thats 750k-800k there and not counting the rest of Americas +Europe + Rest of the World. 

Yep, you're right. I was wrong with UK numbers which i meant for Hardware instead of software. I agree it can be between 54-105k for UK.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

outlawauron said:
Burek said:
outlawauron said:

Sold through is intentionally vague. Publishers sell things to retailers, not to you. Retailers are their consumers. Once it's shippped to a store, it's a sold copy as far as their concern (unless there is a explicit contract regarding unsold stock made beforehand, that wouldn't be the case for a huge game like watch_dogs).

I guess you chose to ignore what I wrote when responding to you some 6 hours ago, so I won't repeat it, as you obviously just feel the need to write nonsense in order to downplay this game's success.

There is nothing vague in sell through, it is the number sold to consumers, not to stores. 

But of course, you will choose not to read this, so why do I bother?

Sold through doesn't necessarily mean that. There's no point in discussing it because it's all assumption. I believe publishers define their customers differently than what we do. It's a PR speak meant to paint the most positive light on it.

Maybe I should stop, I have been told I'm a Nintendo fanboy who likes to downplay Sony and MS.

@ Kasz

Sony shifted from shipped to warehouses to shipped to retailers a little bit into the PS3 era. The verbage never really changed.

Its a good thing that somebody already told you that. Otherwise nothing from telling that to you, even if I would have been banned.

So if Watch Dogs has sold 4 million to retailers and not to consumers, do you believe the same is true for MK8's 1.2 million unit sales? I'd like to believe you do.

DolPhanTendo said:
I didn't really put into perspective but 4 Million copies sold on a total of around 180 million console s in homes acrossed the world ( 85+. PS3, 85+360, 7+ PS4 4+ XOne) isn't that impressive. Dont know why people get all hyped about it. Would like to see this gens numbers to last gens funny how those aren't up. MK8 1.2 Million 6 million consoles argument done.

So far we know (based on released sales for UK, WD bundles and Multiplatform games sales in PS4) that PS4 which has 8 million base has sold approx 1.5 - 2 million which is abot  40% of sales so we can consider WD did better/equal in PS4 than MK8 for Wii U. And you should not forget that WD is new IP with criticism of downgrade before release and MK8 is established and popular high selling game.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network

That is awesome! Happy for them.

Even with all the 'it's barely next gen' complains. Happy for Ubisoft.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:

That's because you're assuming it. I'm assuming that they're talking about it being the best selling new IP using the historical data the two services offer.

That sentence is pretty clearly formulated, but if you get a different idea from it we'll just have to disagree.

I've never seen a company use sold-through and mean shipped. Sold-through literally means sold to consumers. The term for shipped is sold-in (or just sold). Maybe you have some examples of sold-through being used for shipped, I don't know.

In any case, this game has outpaced ACIII (their previous record), which sold 3.1m week one on PS3 and X360.

So yes, this game has sold 4m copies, unless they sold 3.2m and just shipped 4m, which is very doubtful and would make the game impossible to find now.

I'm telling you, Sony totally has done it before at least.  I remember a whole big thing about "Sold through... to our customers, why would we mention end user sales in a release."

So it's not inconceivable, outside which, where are you even getting the NPD and internal data info from?

I don't see it on the blog, is there a different release i'm missing?  (Pet peve of mind... when articles don't quote the source.)

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-breaks-records/

Kasz216 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
outlawauron said:

I'm telling you, Sony totally has done it before at least.  I remember a whole big thing about "Sold through... to our customers, why would we mention end user sales in a release."

So it's not inconceivable, outside which, where are you even getting the NPD and internal data info from?

I don't see it on the blog, is there a different release i'm missing?  (Pet peve of mind... when articles don't quote the source.)

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-breaks-records/

Well, that's a very shitty practice then if true. I still don't think that's the case here because of what I've mentioned before.

The NPD and GFK references can be found here:

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-146238-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Kane1389 said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
DerNebel said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
DerNebel said:

Man you don't need to get offended here, I'm just trying to explain that these things are worded like that for a reason.

I'm not insulted. You just assume Nintendo engages in double talk when they've been known to mean what they say. When they talk about sales, they very rarely ever mean "shipped" numbers. 

That is absolutely not true. When they talk about sales they almost always talk about shipped.

But wouldn't you agree that Nintendo hardly ever releases sales numbers? They aren't the sort of company that does so just to pat themselves on the back over double talk. Nintendo, afterall, is a very proud traditional Japanese company.

You have absolutely no idea how this industry works in the slightest. 

Please educate me.

8m until the end of 2014 is not out of reach.