By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Watch_Dogs sold over 4 millions units during its first week

tbone51 said:
Train wreck said:
What makes this sellthru special is that there is no Japan nor is there a free game offer with it, but it goes to show that games, pretend hype or not, are still selling at a good clip. wish Ubi would break down console split.

Why do you have to put MK8 down for like that? You totally just side swapped it with that comment -_-.

Just kinda weird, makes you look kinda salty for MK8 sales, when this thread had nothing to do with it. 99.9999% of games dont do that promotion, yet your singling out MK8.... Ok???

What made MK8 special was that it did it's figure on a userbase of 6m+. Watchdog doing 4m on almost 200m consoles and a billion PCs doesn't come close - relatively speaking.

Anyhow this is about Watchdogs and those are very good sales for a new IP.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
DerNebel said:

There's a difference between sold and sold through

When a company says "sold", then you should take that as shipped to retailers (cause that is sold for them) unless they specify otherwise.

And one way to specify otherwise is by saying "sold through" which basically means sold to customers.

Again, could be a mistake from Ubisofts' PR guys though.

When Sony said they sold 1 million PS4s in 24 hours, no one interpreted that as "shipped". Same with the WD numbers. No one is saying "Oh, these are shipped numbers." However, with Mario Kart 8 - oh no, of course not. There's no way Nintendo sold that many. Yeah, these numbers are shipped. Yep. Now I can sleep better at night.

Dude, this is all a matter of wording. Look here is the 1 million PS4 tweet by Shuhei Yoshida:

See what it says? "Sold through".

You know what? You're 100% right, and I am 100% wrong.

bananaking21 said:

not even if watch dogs 2 was a bandicoot from australia jumping around a tropical island smashing boxes?

That would never happen, so my answer is no!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

outlawauron said:
tbone51 said:

Is this shipped+digital?

Yes it is and it always will be unless a publishers is citing a tracking service.

They are citing tracking services (asterisks). And they said sold-through.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

justinian said:
tbone51 said:
Train wreck said:
What makes this sellthru special is that there is no Japan nor is there a free game offer with it, but it goes to show that games, pretend hype or not, are still selling at a good clip. wish Ubi would break down console split.

Why do you have to put MK8 down for like that? You totally just side swapped it with that comment -_-.

Just kinda weird, makes you look kinda salty for MK8 sales, when this thread had nothing to do with it. 99.9999% of games dont do that promotion, yet your singling out MK8.... Ok???

What made MK8 special was that it did it's figure on a userbase of 6m+. Watchdog doing 4m on almost 200m consoles and a billion PCs doesn't come close - relatively speaking.

Regardless that's very good sales for watchdogs.

Probabilty has it that Watch Dogs PS4 sold more than MK8 though, so that definitely is comparable to MK, if we want to be really pedantic and bring the West vs Japan point into the discussion then we could also point out that in the west Watch Dogs PS4 absolutely dwarfs MK8. Just some things to keep in mind, WD sales are not less impressive than MK8s.

Around the Network
Richard_Feynman said:
Just shows that publishers could have made A KILLING if they had good games ready for release this year.

Not necessarily. Plenty of great games don't sell well. The reason this is selling so well is hype due to it being an open world/sandbox game like GTA but with hacking which is somewhat(?) of a novelty. Similarly, Dead Island did not sell well because of its quality, but thanks to zombies being popular and the incredible trailer they made. 

Not saying that the game is not good (it's probably great), but its sales have little to do with quality.

Anyway, congrats to Ubi. And good to see NEW IP's selling well. 

AZWification said:
bananaking21 said:

not even if watch dogs 2 was a bandicoot from australia jumping around a tropical island smashing boxes?

That would never happen, so my answer is no!

if justin beiber taught us anything its to never say never. 

Mario Kart probably could have come close to that number if it was released on so many systems. So how much money did Nintendo miss out on in one week? $100 million? $150 million?

QuintonMcLeod said:
DerNebel said:

Dude, this is all a matter of wording. Look here is the 1 million PS4 tweet by Shuhei Yoshida:

See what it says? "Sold through".

You know what? You're 100% right, and I am 100% wrong.

Man you don't need to get offended here, I'm just trying to explain that these things are worded like that for a reason.

bananaking21 said:

if justin beiber taught us anything its to never say never. 

Justin Bieber? You mean the crappy singer who pissed into a bucket?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---