By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 sells 1.2 million over first weekend

I want to know dem hardware numbers.

Around the Network

So there is a chance for MK8 to be the worst selling MK of all times.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Now I really want to see the HW boost.

This is really the most important thing, we all knew the core Ninty fans would buy MK8.  

The HW #s are so crucial b/c Ninty insists on their belief that "games over hardware", but if the game is selling like crazy, & not moving much HW, it will force Ninty to adapt and reassess their strategy again. How many of those 1.2 mil were a part of the MK8 bundle or bought alongside a Wii U is the big question...?

Pretty amazing, though I have a feeling this is just a result of the stronger than usual marketing and that this means more of the sales will be front-loaded than usual.

We'll see though.

Around the Network

Whoops was @ 700k impressive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

noname2200 said:
bubblegamer said:

So shipped?

Not necessarily: Nintendo has a system that lets them track retail sales in more or less real time.

They also mention the sales of the older MK titles in the article though and those are definitely shipped, I think they'd make a clearer differentiation if MK8 numbers were sold to customers, just a guess though. Whatever it is, the number is probably close anyway.

vivster said:

What makes you come out of nowhere and say that? Kinda random :-/

It should outsell NSMBU which sits at 4mil and still growing. I think the lowestis 5.5mil (gba), if WiiU sells at least 14mil lifetime, mk8 should be about 6mil sold imo.

So if this is shipped I'm going to guess around 1m for the first 4 days. Good numbers, Infamous took 9 days to sell 1m, of course Mario Kart is a much larger franchise. I'm looking forward to Media Create and NPD to see what effect this had on hardware.

And anyone expecting this to permanently raise the baseline for the WiiU is deluding themselves. Just like Titanfall it will provide a boost for a few weeks and then settle back into standard numbers until Smash Bros comes out.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

vivster said:

already is. All of then sold more than 1,2mil

Click HERE and be happy