By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should advertise the fact that their Internet Connection is FREE!

fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
but what would they exactly say?
"our network ranks last on basically all MP games but its free so please live with it" ??

It could also say, "But hey, at least we didn't get ass raped and owned by hackers for months on end! We also don't force you to pay for online just to watch Netflix while still shoving ads down your throat!"

The day its worth hacking nintendo's network, someone will do it. Its worth hacking the hardware and thats getting raped and owned by hackers more than any other gaming hardware.

Then what makes a network worth hacking?

Wii U is getting outhacked by everything else? That's news to me. I also didn't know homebrewing a console is a bigger deal than taking down an entire network and compromising millions of IDs, credit cards and personal info though. Shows how much I know.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
"our network ranks last on basically all MP games but its free so please live with it" ??

It could also say, "But hey, at least we didn't get ass raped and owned by hackers for months on end! We also don't force you to pay for online just to watch Netflix while still shoving ads down your throat!"

The day its worth hacking nintendo's network, someone will do it. Its worth hacking the hardware and thats getting raped and owned by hackers more than any other gaming hardware.

Wii U is getting outhacked by everything else? That's news to me. I also didn't know homebrewing a console is a bigger deal than taking down an entire network and compromising millions of IDs, credit cards and personal info though. Shows how much I know.

Who lost a penny when PSN got hacked? no-one.

fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

As a consumer, I don't want outsiders having access to critical info regardless. Either way, I'm sure Sony and other publishers lost some sales that couldn't occur while the network was down. Unless you're implying no one is on PSN too. Damn, you're on a roll.

burninmylight said:
UltimateUnknown said:
burninmylight said:
UltimateUnknown said:

When you are paying for PS+/XBL, you aren't simply paying to play online, you're paying for a service. A service that includes a variety of things such as monthly (free) games, twitch streaming support, regular discounts, online MP, etc. The point is, MP is only a part of PS+/XBL.

Sure the Wii U gives you MP for free, but as a service PS+/XBL is far greater than Nintendo Network. You are simply paying for a better service and most people are very satisfied with the overall service they're getting in retun for paying a monthly fee.

And is Nintendo supposed to include that disclaimer in its marketing? The point is to advertise that Nintendo's online services are FREE, period. It's not about which is better. It's about free vs. not free. And if you can make that claim, you do it.

No, it means that the marketing for XBL/PS+ will be very different from Nintendo Network.

Nintendo can market NN as having free MP, but XBL/PS+ can market the platform as having all the features I mentioned in my previous post alongside online MP. Sure MP itself is not free, but the multitude of other features on XBL/PS+ not present on NN should make up for the price of admission, i.e. you get what you pay for.

Again, this is not about whether XBL and PSN cover the price of admission. This is about what Nintendo should be doing in marketing its online features. If Sony and MS would like to advertise the merits of their networks and services, kudos to them. 100 percent mutually exclusive.

Yes that's fine, but the original point made was that Nintendo should advertise the free multiplayer COMPARED to their competitors (who don't have free MP) as an advantage. As I said before, that's fine, but MS and Sony can both also advertise the merits of having PSN/XBL which Nintendo lacks as a counter.

I agree that these can and should be mutually exclusive events. There really is no need to compare NN and PSN/XBL since they do offer rather different services.

UltimateUnknown said:
burninmylight said:
UltimateUnknown said:

No, it means that the marketing for XBL/PS+ will be very different from Nintendo Network.

Nintendo can market NN as having free MP, but XBL/PS+ can market the platform as having all the features I mentioned in my previous post alongside online MP. Sure MP itself is not free, but the multitude of other features on XBL/PS+ not present on NN should make up for the price of admission, i.e. you get what you pay for.

Again, this is not about whether XBL and PSN cover the price of admission. This is about what Nintendo should be doing in marketing its online features. If Sony and MS would like to advertise the merits of their networks and services, kudos to them. 100 percent mutually exclusive.

Yes that's fine, but the original point made was that Nintendo should advertise the free multiplayer COMPARED to their competitors (who don't have free MP) as an advantage. As I said before, that's fine, but MS and Sony can both also advertise the merits of having PSN/XBL which Nintendo lacks as a counter.

I agree that these can and should be mutually exclusive events. There really is no need to compare NN and PSN/XBL since they do offer rather different services.

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of Nintendo just making sure to shout from the mountain top that it's free without outrighting stating in regards to XBL/PSN, and letting the consumer fill in the blanks.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

As a consumer, I don't want outsiders having access to critical info regardless. Either way, I'm sure Sony and other publishers lost some sales that couldn't occur while the network was down. Unless you're implying no one is on PSN too. Damn, you're on a roll.

Yeah because nintendo would have stopped anonymous from stealing your data if they ever came after them and nintendo isnt losing anything from wii homebrew or R4. Damn, you're on a roll.

It's a big advantage but until MK8 and smash bros hits, it has no real, big online gaming franchises. Even then, it would only be 2.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It's kind of a 'you get what you pay for' deal though. Gold and psn have vastly superior infrastructures and no one in their right mind would pay for miiverse.

Then Nintendo could also advertise the following:

1) You dont need a huge hdd drive to play our games as there is no need to install them.
2) We dont force you to buy overpriced 250GB hdd for 100€/US$, you can use your own HDD with WiiU.

Actually both are advantages (especially the 2nd point!), but they are - in my opinion it does not make sense at all - seen as an disadvantage among so many gamers.
Seems people do not like to hear positive things about Nintendo anymore. Or people turn positive things so often that they become negative things^^

Everybody would laugh at Nintendo advertising this and the casual gamers, who only need Fifa/GTA/CoD/AC/... just see e.g. 500GB -vs- 32GB and do not have ANY clue about the background.

So advestising free Online gaming and free Online community.
"I dont want to play with kids. I want real online gaming, I want achievements."
I guess people would not even care a bit!

My opinion:

Yes, they should. You don't need to pay for anything and Club Nintendo (which nets free games and other goodies) is also free.

Online consists not only of games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U but also CoD: Ghosts, MH3U, Tekken Wii U Edition, indie games, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Miiverse, other apps and games not mentioned, etc.

These are all things that might've required a paid membership to get the full deal out of on other systems--therefore, they should definitely be advertising the fact that it's free (the topic of how Xbox and PS charge for online services that render some games practically impossible to play without it, is another topic).