By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should advertise the fact that their Internet Connection is FREE!

On another note, why the hell is everybody putting Nintendo seal of quality/Only on PS/Only on Xbox signs in their avys?

Around the Network
Uabit said:
They offer it free because it sucks.

How can it suck when online play works fine, and especially when it's for free???

Zisbest said:
Nah, I mean it's great not having to pay anything for online matches and stuff, but the Wii U's online service isn't really comparable to PSN and Xbox live, so no.

I see peeps say this but the only difference I see is live streaming. But WiiU has Miiverse which is pretty awesome on its own... so idk. I guess cross-game voice chat too... but I don't see that as beneficial honestly. When in game, I focus on the game and talking to those I'm playing with. I mean if I get a phone call, I pause my game.

So really, what is so different?

Conina said:
TheGhosts said:

I still can't believe that gamers pay money to be able to play online, this should be for free like Nintendo does it!!! I mean how fast do you think Sony or Microsoft would make their online play also for free if no one would buy their consoles because of that??? I think they would change that really fast, to bad that Sony and Microsoft gamers are stupid these days!!! They complain all days and like there is no tomorrow when a certain game is not 1080p or 60FPS, but when it comes to money and that they get forced to pay for online play they don't care :D

I still can't believe that gamers pay money twice to be able to play the same Virtual-Console-classics on the handheld AND on the console. Purchases should be cross-buy and tied to an account, not to a single device where you are at the mercy of Nintendo to get your purchases reactivated when you have to replace the device (broken, stolen, better model). I mean, how fast do you think Nintendo would change their obsolete hardware-DRM and doubledipping, if no one would buy their consoles and handhelds because of that? I think they would change that really fast, too bad that Nintendo gamers bend over and put up with everything for their Mario-fix. ;)

Two wrongs don't make a right, your last sentence was a little borderline so please keep in mind that you shouldn't make comments like that against an entire userbase just because someone else did it before you.  Just report and move on.  

BraveNewWorld said:
Currently, there aren't any big online games except for past Call of Duty titles. Upcoming Mario Kart 8 will be the only big online game on the Wii U for the foreseeable future. It can't be a selling point if it isn't utilized.

Which is why it should be advertising with MK8.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
PigPen said:
EricFabian said:
SnK0610 said:
Nintendo is giving you something for free.

The other 2 companies are charging money for it.

It's that simple.

That's a big advantage for Nintendo.

Pretty much, but still online services on PSN and Live are years ahead of miiverse

But it's free!

When you are paying for PS+/XBL, you aren't simply paying to play online, you're paying for a service. A service that includes a variety of things such as monthly (free) games, twitch streaming support, regular discounts, online MP, etc. The point is, MP is only a part of PS+/XBL.

Sure the Wii U gives you MP for free, but as a service PS+/XBL is far greater than Nintendo Network. You are simply paying for a better service and most people are very satisfied with the overall service they're getting in retun for paying a monthly fee.

And is Nintendo supposed to include that disclaimer in its marketing? The point is to advertise that Nintendo's online services are FREE, period. It's not about which is better. It's about free vs. not free. And if you can make that claim, you do it.

fps_d0minat0r said:
but what would they exactly say?
"our network ranks last on basically all MP games but its free so please live with it" ??

It could also say, "But hey, at least we didn't get ass raped and owned by hackers for months on end! We also don't force you to pay for online just to watch Netflix while still shoving ads down your throat!"

burninmylight said:
UltimateUnknown said:
PigPen said:
EricFabian said:
SnK0610 said:
Nintendo is giving you something for free.

The other 2 companies are charging money for it.

It's that simple.

That's a big advantage for Nintendo.

Pretty much, but still online services on PSN and Live are years ahead of miiverse

But it's free!

When you are paying for PS+/XBL, you aren't simply paying to play online, you're paying for a service. A service that includes a variety of things such as monthly (free) games, twitch streaming support, regular discounts, online MP, etc. The point is, MP is only a part of PS+/XBL.

Sure the Wii U gives you MP for free, but as a service PS+/XBL is far greater than Nintendo Network. You are simply paying for a better service and most people are very satisfied with the overall service they're getting in retun for paying a monthly fee.

And is Nintendo supposed to include that disclaimer in its marketing? The point is to advertise that Nintendo's online services are FREE, period. It's not about which is better. It's about free vs. not free. And if you can make that claim, you do it.

No, it means that the marketing for XBL/PS+ will be very different from Nintendo Network.

Nintendo can market NN as having free MP, but XBL/PS+ can market the platform as having all the features I mentioned in my previous post alongside online MP. Sure MP itself is not free, but the multitude of other features on XBL/PS+ not present on NN should make up for the price of admission, i.e. you get what you pay for.

burninmylight said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
but what would they exactly say?
"our network ranks last on basically all MP games but its free so please live with it" ??

It could also say, "But hey, at least we didn't get ass raped and owned by hackers for months on end! We also don't force you to pay for online just to watch Netflix while still shoving ads down your throat!"

The day its worth hacking nintendo's network, someone will do it. Its worth hacking the hardware and thats getting raped and owned by hackers more than any other gaming hardware.

UltimateUnknown said:
burninmylight said:
UltimateUnknown said:

No, it means that the marketing for XBL/PS+ will be very different from Nintendo Network.

Nintendo can market NN as having free MP, but XBL/PS+ can market the platform as having all the features I mentioned in my previous post alongside online MP. Sure MP itself is not free, but the multitude of other features on XBL/PS+ not present on NN should make up for the price of admission, i.e. you get what you pay for.

Again, this is not about whether XBL and PSN cover the price of admission. This is about what Nintendo should be doing in marketing its online features. If Sony and MS would like to advertise the merits of their networks and services, kudos to them. 100 percent mutually exclusive.