By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Talal said:
Kerotan said:

Does any other league have 6 teams all as big as united,  city,  Chelsea,  arsenal,  totenham,  Liverpool in it?  As I said yes Spain and Germany have 2 or 3 but not 6. 

You'd need to define "big" first. If by big you mean rich then the answer is no. If by big you mean successful then I don't see how Arsenal, Tottenham and modern Liverpool are considered big.

Throw City and United in there. It's been ages since anyone was scared of them.

It's easy for English teams to get sponsorship due to them beeing highly marketable.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

Koeman is ready! but the Saints needs European football to attract better players... he'll get Clasie to replace Schneiderlin but thats because they worked at Feyenoord in Holland.. getting Champions League will give the Saints just that bit extra to attract those just below world class players..

Keoman might be, but we aren't. We went from League 1 to Prem in 2 years, and have been in Prem now for 3 (on our third season). Our captain and strongest defender is the same guy we had when we were in League 1, he is nearing legend status like Rickie did, but he's getting on. We currently also need some truely good finishers, as Pelle just isn't cutting it lately. J Rod would be good to have back.

Get into Europe, Morgan won't leave (probably). 

Maybe Europa but it means constant sunday football and no one likes that. 

Hmm, pie.

Goatseye said:

Throw City and United in there. It's been ages since anyone was scared of them.

It's easy for English teams to get sponsorship due to them beeing highly marketable.

City haven't had much success in Europe yet, but they are still one of the biggest teams in Europe and their domestic success is enough to prove that. United are garbage now yes, but I'm not basing this solely on current form I'm basing it on the last few years or so.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yet you have nothing backing you up other than 'because I said so'

Officially the Spanish league is the strongest these days. If English teams can't prove they are any good in Europe then why should they be highly rated. Even if you say it is because they don't try in the Europa League then how do you explain the relatively poor performance of English teams in the Champions League in recent years?

Does any other league have 6 teams all as big as united,  city,  Chelsea,  arsenal,  totenham,  Liverpool in it?  As I said yes Spain and Germany have 2 or 3 but not 6. 

Depends on who you ask of course. But ask your average person in most European country and I very much doubt they would consider the likes of Arsenal or Tottenham big. They probably look at England and see Chelsea/Manchester as the big sides and that is it.

So name 7 teams from another league that are better. 

Kerotan said:

So name 7 teams from another league that are better. 

How could we convince you that they're better? By showing you their superior records at Europe? You'd just get back to the "English teams don't care about that tournament".

Edit: Like Ka Pi said the Spanish League has a higher UEFA coefficient, but that doesn't count for you because it takes Europa League into account.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Bilbao
Juventus, Roma, Napoli, AC Milan, Inter, Fiorentina, Lazio
Bayern Munich, Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Gladbach, Leverkusen, Schalke, Bremen

Maybe they are better, maybe they aren't. That's subjective. The Spanish league as a whole is statistically better than the Premier league though and that is a fact. The way things are going this year the Bundesliga could well move up to 2nd and overtake the Premier League as well.

Stick with Germany and Spain, Italy is not up to scratch anymore. Only 1 team from Italy made it through group stage of Champions League.

And Dortmund?

Hmm, pie.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad, Bilbao

Maybe they are better, maybe they aren't. That's subjective. The Spanish league as a whole is statistically better than the Premier league though and that is a fact. The way things are going this year the Bundesliga could well move up to 2nd and overtake the Premier League as well.

Stick with Germany and Spain, Italy is not up to scratch anymore. Only 1 team from Italy made it through group stage of Champions League.

And Dortmund?

Italian teams haven't been so good lately, but they are still well known across Europe.

And yeah, Dortmund. They may be having a shocking season in the Bundesliga but they still topped their Champions League group, so they are still very much a force to be reckoned with.

Bremen would be the bigger question mark :D

Dortmund is still in CL (might be out soon though, but doable nonetheless ) and cup. Besides they had bad luck with injuries this season. That can happen to a lot of teams. It doesn't mean that they're not being able to compete for the league title next season.

Ka-pi96 said:
Barozi said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Italian teams haven't been so good lately, but they are still well known across Europe.

And yeah, Dortmund. They may be having a shocking season in the Bundesliga but they still topped their Champions League group, so they are still very much a force to be reckoned with.

Dortmund is still in CL (might be out soon though, but doable nonetheless ) and cup. Besides they had bad luck with injuries this season. That can happen to a lot of teams. It doesn't mean that they're not being able to compete for the league title next season.

He said 7, so I'd assume he was including Southampton from the Premier Leauge. Do you really think Bremen aren't at least as big as Southampton?

Yeah, next reason Dortmund could do very well again. Just need to get over their injury problems and get in good form again

well yeah Bremen, Hamburg or Stuttgart then. They all played CL at one point in the last decade and several times in the Europa League.

Ka-pi96 said:
Barozi said:
Ka-pi96 said:

He said 7, so I'd assume he was including Southampton from the Premier Leauge. Do you really think Bremen aren't at least as big as Southampton?

Yeah, next reason Dortmund could do very well again. Just need to get over their injury problems and get in good form again

I wasn't including Southampton.  Just the big 6. I asked for 7 because if you can only name 6 then they're equal.  And some of the ones you listed are laughable and would get nowhere near the top 4 it they moved to the premier league. 

The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And Dortmund?

Dortmund has been doing pretty well recently in the BL!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---