By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:
Ka-pi96 said:

But you said the Premier League is by far the strongest league in the world. So why would they rather compete against other Premier League teams if going for the Europa League win would be so much easier? The goal isn't 4th place, it is Champions Leauge qualification, so surely they should take the easiest route to that, no?

Because so much can go wrong with a competition like that.  Like Liverpool losing on penalties. This year united,  arsenal,  Liverpool,  totenham and Southampton are battling over 2 places.  The fans and clubs  value the league over the second tier competition of Europe. 

Or maybe other European sides are just tough opposition?

The European sides have weaker leagues so they value the champions league more.  The premier league is probably as valued by some English clubs as the champions league. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

The European sides have weaker leagues so they value the champions league more.  The premier league is probably as valued by some English clubs as the champions league. 

As as Saints fan, I do not want to be in Europe at all next season. Sure it would be nice to compete on that stage but it takes up resources, you need a bigger squad, messes with games schedules and prize money (unless in champions league and you do well there) just isn't worth it. We just are not ready (in my view).

I'd say generally, I'd prefer Top 4 with Champions League or 8th.

Hmm, pie.

Kerotan said:

"Weaker"? Less competitve is the word. There hasn't been an English team that convinced as being top club in Europe, since MU 2008. That Chelsea win 3 years ago was a fluke of all kinds.

CL is the highest regarded competition in Europe. Without CL, top teams would have no big sponsors, no big name players, etc...

Goatseye said:
Kerotan said:

"Weaker"? Less competitve is the word. There hasn't been an English team that convinced as being top club in Europe, since MU 2008. That Chelsea win 3 years ago was a fluke of all kinds.

CL is the highest regarded competition in Europe. Without CL, top teams would have no big sponsors, no big name players, etc...

I'm not saying the top 1 or 2 in another league like Germany or Spain ain't better buy overall the English league is the best.  

The German league is the best in terms of attendance I think.  

The Fury said:

As as Saints fan, I do not want to be in Europe at all next season. Sure it would be nice to compete on that stage but it takes up resources, you need a bigger squad, messes with games schedules and prize money (unless in champions league and you do well there) just isn't worth it. We just are not ready (in my view).

Koeman is ready! but the Saints needs European football to attract better players... he'll get Clasie to replace Schneiderlin but thats because they worked at Feyenoord in Holland.. getting Champions League will give the Saints just that bit extra to attract those just below world class players..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
The Fury said:
AZWification said:

After watching yesterday's match I seriously wonder how the heck did Chelsea beat Schalke with the score of 5-0!

Chelsea are better than most teams this season?... wait, they lost to Bradford.

Fluke?

Fluke?Lol you must be joking.Bradford beat us with our second string team albeit we should of won that game.So by your logic when Real Sociedad beat R MADRID 4-2 and then Rmadrid beating Barcelona after was a fluke?

NiKKoM said:
The Fury said:

Koeman is ready! but the Saints needs European football to attract better players... he'll get Clasie to replace Schneiderlin but thats because they worked at Feyenoord in Holland.. getting Champions League will give the Saints just that bit extra to attract those just below world class players..

Clasie will most likely end up in FC Porto after Casemiro returns to R.Madrid. He was close to sign for Porto but he took too long to decide and Casemiro was willing to be loaned there.

Ka-pi96 said:
Kerotan said:
Goatseye said:

I'm not saying the top 1 or 2 in another league like Germany or Spain ain't better buy overall the English league is the best.  

The German league is the best in terms of attendance I think.  

Yet you have nothing backing you up other than 'because I said so'

Officially the Spanish league is the strongest these days. If English teams can't prove they are any good in Europe then why should they be highly rated. Even if you say it is because they don't try in the Europa League then how do you explain the relatively poor performance of English teams in the Champions League in recent years?

Does any other league have 6 teams all as big as united,  city,  Chelsea,  arsenal,  totenham,  Liverpool in it?  As I said yes Spain and Germany have 2 or 3 but not 6. 

Kerotan said:

Does any other league have 6 teams all as big as united,  city,  Chelsea,  arsenal,  totenham,  Liverpool in it?  As I said yes Spain and Germany have 2 or 3 but not 6. 

Big in England.

Right now in the European scene Spain has more big teams: Atletico M., Barca, Real.

England? Chelsea...

Kerotan said:

You'd need to define "big" first. If by big you mean rich then the answer is no. If by big you mean successful then I don't see how Arsenal, Tottenham and modern Liverpool are considered big.