By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Carl2291 said:
FIFA rankings are pointless.

They are based on recent results so I'd say they tell some story. It's obvious to anyone that Iceland is way better now than they were just 2 years ago so the jump is understandable. 

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:

I take it, England dropped out of the top 50?

Not quite. Only 20th, which means below Algeria, Greece and Costa Rica

Dang, Iceland is only 8 places away. There's always the next update ;o

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

In the Concacaf Champions League the group stage is done and seedings are in place (based on PTs and GD)

1. D.C. United - USA
2. Club America - Mexico
3. Herediano - Costa Rica
4. Montreal Impact - Canada
5. Pachuca - Mexico
6. Olimpia - Honduras
7. Saprissa - Costa Rica
8. Alajuelense - Costa Rica

Big news is how well the Costa Rican sides did at expense of Mexican and US sides.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ninsect said:
Carl2291 said:

They are based on recent results so I'd say they tell some story. It's obvious to anyone that Iceland is way better now than they were just 2 years ago so the jump is understandable.

Not entirely. They are based on results over the last 5 years. Sure the more recent ones mean a lot more, but those results from years ago still have an impact. Not only that, they don't really take into account the strength of the opposition very well.

Well I consider that recent . I always thought they did take into account the strength of the opposition. For example, I think Iceland got a lot more points for beating NL (2-0) than for beating Latvia (3-0) recently

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not entirely. They are based on results over the last 5 years. Sure the more recent ones mean a lot more, but those results from years ago still have an impact. Not only that, they don't really take into account the strength of the opposition very well.

Well I consider that recent . I always thought they did take into account the strength of the opposition. For example, I think Iceland got a lot more points for beating NL (2-0) than for beating Latvia (3-0) recently

From what I remember they do.

Points gained from the match * importance * strength of opponent * confederation

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Augen said:
In the Concacaf Champions League the group stage is done and seedings are in place (based on PTs and GD)

1. D.C. United - USA
2. Club America - Mexico
3. Herediano - Costa Rica
4. Montreal Impact - Canada
5. Pachuca - Mexico
6. Olimpia - Honduras
7. Saprissa - Costa Rica
8. Alajuelense - Costa Rica

Big news is how well the Costa Rican sides did at expense of Mexican and US sides.

Good to see some Costa Rican sides there. Makes a difference from just Mexico vs US. I wonder how they will hold up in the knockout rounds though.

I am hopeful one (Alajuelense) doesn't as huge for my club (DC United) to be back in this tournament and do so well getting maximum points in the group stage.

Ka-pi96 said:
The chances City are having!

May as well just give the title to Chelsea.

Happy to see Song doing so well. He just couldn't catch a break at Barca.

El Clasico will begin in roughly 50 minutes! The wait is killing me! :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

another Dortmund loss