By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

tbh if we would actually become champs, hell would break loose

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Germany-France (2-1)
Brazil- Colombia (1-3)
Argentina-Belgium ( 2-3)
Holland- Costa Rica (2-1)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

kirby007 said:
tbh if we would actually become champs, hell would break loose

Why? It would be deserved imo.

Predictions:

Germany 2-1 France
Brazil 2-3 Colombia
Argentina 1-1 Belgium* (Belgium win penalties)
Holland 2-1 Costa Rica

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

I feel like a dying plant. I need water... And by water I mean football games

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

If Holland win, Im going on a holiday.

Around the Network

Calculations ongoing. Is Nikkom alright?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

all you can drink thursday

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Anyboding expecting a lot of goals during Argentina - Belgium? Im expecting 7 or more

Sorry I have not been on lately, was in Chicago with little access to internet.

For me 2014 in terms of our performance was a mixed feeling, we got out of a tough group that most never thought we would, but our deficiencies shown through once again on a big stage as unable to break into quarter finals.

Somehow we manage to produce brilliant goal keepers, but struggle to produce forwards and once Altidore went out our 4-6-0 formation left little threat conceding possession and spending most of our time in our own third. That is the next big step for us, to hold possession and be able to enforce our will on our opponents.

That said full credit to a talented Belgium side that was better on the day.

Now, onto my personal experience with the match.

"Americans do not care" or "Americans will never care"

These phrases have been repeated at me when ever I bring up the national team or domestic league. We knew it was building, that the crowds were larger and more knowledgeable, but it was a steady progress that would take a generation or two. 2014 offered a glimpse into the future of the sport and the nation that does know and care about it.

These are images I took inside Soldier Field in Chicago where 28,000 people came to support the US and watch a match on a screen in a stadium. There is no way even 8 years ago this would have happened. The crowd was diverse, but did skew young with lots of 20s and 30s there. They were emotionally invested in the game and reacted appropriately to plays. As someone who has loved the sport for so long seeing my fellow countrymen care the way I have really brought great deal of pride.

I know some people are already in damage control claiming "it is just the event" or "Americans are just patriotic" and equating it to the Olympics. The point is the goal posts keep moving and the trend is harder and harder to ignore for those at home and abroad.

Americans care.

Augen said:

I know some people are already in damage control claiming "it is just the event" or "Americans are just patriotic" and equating it to the Olympics. The point is the goal posts keep moving and the trend is harder and harder to ignore for those at home and abroad.

Americans care.

I don't see why people would not want Americans to care. I think most people do. It's weird that the biggest sport in the world is/was not that big in America. It will no doubt keep growing from here, which is good in my mind.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com