By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

GProgrammer said:
Teeqoz said:

Brazil did lose two of their most important players in the quarter final though. Who knows what the outcome had been if Brazil had had Neymar and Silva.

Quarterfinals? Brazil didnt even make it out of their group, Though it was a hard group admittedly with the football powerhouses that did manage to make it out of the group, Ecuador and Peru :)

I'm talking about the WC.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Slimebeast said:

You bring up a very interesting subject! Everytime somebody won, it's so interesting to see what will be "the talk" going into the next tournament.

I remember Greece had sort of a cocky aura around them (fans mostly) and even some level of expectations among some experts after they had won Euro 2004 when they were playing the pre-tournament Confederations Cup, being invited as Euro champions. But then they didn't even qualify for the World Cup itself. That kind of settled the matter.

If we consider the fact that all the big nations or quite equal in power, so in the sense that there are about 10 nations having a good chance at winning any World Cup, in that sense Portugal today strengthened its position to be one of the favorites.

But when we are talking about what you really mean, when two or three nations are being widely talked about as the favorites, like France and Brazil were mentioned before the World Cup 1998, like Germany and Brazil were mentioned before World Cup 2002, and like Spain was before 2010 and 2014, then no, Portugal won't be regarded as that strong favorites by anybody.

But I think there's a lot of psychology in this, so they certainly could have passed a number of nations in some minds, like Argentina who just lost, and Belgium who nearly made a fiasco, two teams that are a bit better on paper.

So let's see, possible favorites to win World Cup in Russia 2018:

Germany
Spain
France
Brazil

Portugal
Argentina
Belgium
Italy

Poland
Holland
England
Chile
Croatia

So yeah, with a little stretching I could see Portugal get into the top 5.

I could see the talk go like this: people will mention three or four equally strong favorite teams and Portugal thanks to winning Euro 2016 will be constantly be mentioned just after those as the "outsider" or "dark horse". That's the kind of respect they gained today.

After Greece won Euro 2004, nobody expected anything big from them for the next World Cup. Everyone knew they overachieved big time.

Germany wasn't a favorite for the World Cup in 2002. That was the most recent dark era of German football. At Euro 2000 they were sent home with one point in the group stage, for World Cup 2002 they had to go through the playoffs because they finished behind Turkey in the qualifying group. It was a miracle that they got to the final in 2002, but they had a lot of luck in every imaginable sense. IIRC their road to the final was Saudi Arabia, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA and South Korea. Two years later at Euro 2004 Germany got eliminated in the group stage again.

As for Portugal, it's unlikely that anyone will consider them a favorite for the next World Cup. Their defense is already old (part of the team will have to be rebuilt out of necessity) and Ronaldo will be 33. The dark horse status is likely, but that isn't any different than in the last decade. Nothing will change. Portugal has reached at least the quarter finals in almost all of the tournaments of the last 16 years. It's not like this Euro title came completely out of nowhere.

That's why I wrote that there's a lot of psychology involved.

Nobody expected Greece to go far in World Cup 2006 had they qualified, but I remember the respect in how they were talked about by the experts on our TV. For a little while Greece was a respectable team after years of being laughing stock.

Oh, Germany had a dark time 2002? I didn't remember that, sorry. For which torunaments were they mentioned as favorites? 2006 obviously being hosts, but what else? Nearly every time they are among the favorites.

WC Italy 1990 I think Argentina, Germany and Italy were the favorites beforehand, and Brazil a little bit.

It's interesting what you say about Portugal and the generational shift. It certainly looks like they can soon be in trouble.

What I largely mean is, that if you watch the telly, and the commentators and experts, or it could be your IRL friends too, and they name their favorites they're hardly gonna list all the 10-11 teams that have a chance to win. But thanks to Portugal being champions they often will be expressly mentioned as the dark horse, no matter if the chance in reality is exactly the same as it has been in the last decade like you say.

Slimebeast said:

... What's your definition of a big football nation? It's not simply to win a big tournament because in that case you wouldn't have described Chile like that, only being "on their way".  Also, you seemed to imply that Portugal was a big football nation even before the victory today. Is your definition based on a combination of current skill and historical wins or what?

Oh and I forgot Belgium! He has not won anything big, so by that definition it's not a big nation but skillwise it is.

Yes, it's not simply winning a big tournament. Otherwise I would have mentioned Russia, Denmark, Greece, Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia, Peru and Colombia, which have won either the Euro or the Copa (Peru even twice afaik). And African nations unfortunately don't still have a chance as they are lacking the allocated money and infrastructure of European and South/Middle American nations.

The following were already among the big football nations for me without an international title as they always produced great players, club teams and coaches, but at the same time their national teams were lacking a big international title (not for me to consider them one of the big nations but to prove it to the world):

- France (only without a big title title until 1984, the Platini team was excellent, as well as the Zidane team in 1998 of course, when France cemented their reputation they still have today)

- Holland (unlucky in 1974 and 1978 [too bad for Cruyff and Co.] but they finally won their big and well-deserved title with their stunning 1988 team)

- Spain (despite their Euro win in the 1960s[?] it took them until 2008 to finally being considered worldwide as the big football nation they already were for a long time before that, and from 2008 to 2012 their national team dominated world football like I've never had seen it before)

- Portugal (the Euro 2004 was the most tragic tournament I've ever seen, as a football fan it hurt seeing them lose at their own tournament not only once but twice against the same and lesser opponent [no offense to Greek fans]; as long as Portugal's national team didn't win a big title they were considered as the unlucky nation that produced great players [Eusebio, Luis Figo and Ronaldo are only the three best and most famous ones], club teams and coaches)

South-America: While Brazil and Uruguay were already considered big football nations by the rest of the world in the 70s, Argentina joined in 1978 with their world cup title and cemented their reputation during the Maradona era.

Portugal was already an important, big football nation for a very long time in my (and in many other people's) opinion, they were the last one of the "defining" worldwide football nations of the last century that needed a big title to prove to the world that they really deserve to be up there. That's why I'm really happy they finally made it today.

Other countries can follow Portugal of course, nations which only made it to competitive world class in the more recent years. Chile has proven this year wirh their 2nd Copa that they are on their way, and yes, I think they are the next contender for "big nations club" now that Portugal made it, but Belgium or any other country you mentioned hasn't proven much up to now.

Kerotan said:
MoHasanie said:

Maybe for you but I personally didn't enjoy the tournament. Some of the games were boring, most of my predicitions were wrong, and I was beginning to fall asleep during the final. 

That's because you had unrealistic expectations for a competition involving European nations. 

Here's some advice.  Go to the matches you'll enjoy them more.  The worst of my 7 matches on paper was Romania vs Switzerland.  You'd think that would be shit but attending it was very fun. 

And it's not too expensive if you plan right.  My France v Ireland last 16 ticket cost 25 euro and the seat was great. 

I've been watching the Euros for years. so I'm well aware of how good the European nations are at football.

Of course watching a game live is much more exciting. Watching anything live is interesting. Not sure what your point is? 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

pastro243 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

ummm... Brazil? Have you not seen them lately?

never rule them out 

Yup. The thing with Brazil is that they have so much material to work with that they could virtually have multiple national teams. They can just decide to completely ignore all players that were in the copa america and start over.

Though generally yeah... recently they havent been very good. But i'm sure they are also happy with Portugal's win in the euro, just like we were with their wins in previous world cups.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
You guys need to fucking see this , i never laugh so much this year

https://streamable.com/9g7u?t=3.4

lol Cmon Santos! Jump! Jump!

Around the Network

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Goatseye said:

Ronaldo wasn't even your best player in the competition. Show some love to Pepe and Patricio as well.

Pepe was good but I think Nani was their best player, personally. He showed determination and play I haven't seen since he was in form at Man U when Fergie was there. Patricio made some great saves in the final and kudos to my man Fonte, who after being brought into the team longside Pepe, strengthened the defence so they only conceeded 1 goal since group stage (where he didn't play).

Hmm, pie.

What an awful tournament. The 24 team system just fucked up everything.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ka-pi96 said:
AZWification said:

What an awful tournament. The 24 team system just fucked up everything.

eh, to be honest I don't have particularly good memories of any Euro tournament so far. Usually there's a memorable upset or two (this tournament didn't disappoint in that aspect) but other than that I've always found Euros to be pretty forgettable, so the extra teams didn't really change anything in that regard for me.

But hey, African Nations starts in January, they're usually pretty entertaining

I guess I was disappointed by the group stage. The knockout games were actually good, specially Iceland-England and Wales-Belgium.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Congratulations to Portugal even though people will hate seeing the sight of Ronaldo lifting the trophy they fought until the end and prevailed.