By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted's budget was...

Wow 20M sounds pretty damn expensive, many copies do they have to sell to make a profit?

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

Exactly. I don't think there's any question that it's made a profit. 

Including advertisement

Having to break sony off with a huge chunk.

any many more factors im not including, they arent really making much.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Wow ,I think this generation will hold many many years ..... I just cant imagine what the costs for a new generation would be ....40 million per game as average budget ??

I remember someone posting on here a while back, that the developers get about $24 for each game sold. That seems reasonable, so to break even on a $20M game, you need to sell: 833,333 copies.

Uncharted has sold 1,250,000 copies, meaning: $10,000,000 profit on this game so far.

I think Naughty Dog are making Uncharted a trilogy. The other two games will cost less, wont they?

kingofwale said:

well, you do need money to get perfection. and Uncharted is one of the (if not THE) best game of 07 for Sony. 20 million for a PS3GOTY is a bargain in my opinion.

but it's also very risky business, if the game sucks, the developer will get punished heavily by PS3 users, like Lair did

Uncharted is lackluster compared to most other systems "GOTY" games.

Plus 20 million development cost? ouch.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

>I think Naughty Dog are making Uncharted a trilogy. The other two games will cost less, wont they?

I would trade that in for a longer experience (longer gameplay)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Bodhesatva said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

Exactly. I don't think there's any question that it's made a profit. 

Oh I know that, but some people like to say that the game "hasn't done well", but I believe as long as a game is profitable, and good, it's sold good.

@ Weezy

I agree.  But as we  they can see, the game is still selling ~50k/week, and hasn't really slowed, so how much profit they make is irrelevant, just that they make profit, or at least break even, so it can't be called a failure.

weezy go away you are really obnoxious.

Diomedes1976 said:
Wow ,I think this generation will hold many many years ..... I just cant imagine what the costs for a new generation would be ....40 million per game as average budget ??

I hope this generation lasts for a long time, longer than the 5 year normal cycle.

The more it costs to develop, the less big games we will have

tombi123 said:
I remember someone posting on here a while back, that the developers get about $24 for each game sold. That seems reasonable, so to break even you need to sell: 833,333 copies.

Uncharted has sold 1,250,000 copies, meaning: $10,000,000 profit on this game so far.

I think Naughty Dog are making Uncharted a trilogy. The other two games will cost less, wont they?

The next Uncharted will be much cheaper to make, assuming they use the same engine and just tweak it. This is what Epic is doing with UE3 for Gears 2.

weezy said:
antfromtashkent said:
weezy said:
no wonder why ppl would rather make a wii game than ps3.

do you want to make money? dont make a ps3 game.

unless.... my M$ mole was right and $80 games are on the way.. :)

yeh im sure MGS4 will come out with a 80 special eddition... some worthless trinkets ... sentemental value u know.
but that helps with very expencive games.

Maybe a DVD "behind the scenes" extra. But that will be it.

u know there will be some kind of art book/comick book