By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted's budget was...

weezy said:
kingofwale said:
PooperScooper said:
Well weezy considering it wasn't insomniac...

people really should banned for mistakes like this.

in fact, we should establish some kind of entry exams for the privilege of posting here. 

the point is moot because Naughtydog is 2nd party.

:)

sorry to dissapoint, kingofpale :)

No it s not, 1st party, for 5 or 6 years, look up your facts

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

This is a classic debating tactic.

First, you insist that your "opponent" has claimed some ridiculously high (or low) statistic.

Then, you show that the actual value of that statistic is lower than the ridiculous claim.

"Some people claim that over a million people die each year due to gun related violence in the US. In reality, it's less than two hundred thousand!"

This makes it look your figure is actually low, when it's only low in comparison to some ridiculously high figure.

I don't think any reasonable person here thought that games were averaging 40 million, just that some of the higher end games did cost that much (such as Killzone2 and MGS4). I honestly don't know of anyone who thought this was the norm.

20 Million is very high, and puts the given estimates for copies needed to break even right where we've heard they are for higher end games: 700-1000k units. Sounds about right to me, and only further cements my perception that the PS3 is, indeed, very expensive to develop for.

Here's the problem: you aren't actually quoting any real statistics EITHER.  All you're doing is saying "well, it's 2x the cost of development of a last generation game."  Well no friggin crap.  And it cost more to develop on PS2 than it did for PS1.  Was it double the cost, I dunno, but logically, it's more.

So, if you're terribly interested in intellectual honesty, how about, instead of saying that you think it simply must be expensive, give us some statistics to back your point up, such as budgets for games of comparable quality for the PS3/360.

weezy said:
makingmusic476 said:
weezy said:
kingofwale said:
PooperScooper said:

in fact, we should establish some kind of entry exams for the privilege of posting here.

Naughty Dog is first party...

Is it? didnt know that.

We REALLY REALLY need those tests, damnit! :P

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

Actually it all goes to Sony, Naughty Dog is owned by Sony... 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

But kingoffail you would of been gone a very long time ago, several times, you would of been an overkill.

Around the Network

@kingofwale
Then only super nerds would overrun this forum...we wouldnt want that now would we ?

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

kingofwale said:
weezy said:
makingmusic476 said:
weezy said:
kingofwale said:
PooperScooper said:

Naughty Dog is first party...

Is it? didnt know that.

We REALLY REALLY need those tests, damnit! :P

Or if someone attempts to troll they should uh... know what they are talking about. If they don't know what they are talking about then at least bullshit it and sound like you do (Like GGE)

kitler53 said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold (1.25 million copies - bundled copies) * (sixty bucks - retail cut - publisher cut) a copy, equals ~20 million in revenue for the developer? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~4 million copies? cool.

fixed a few oversights for ya.

You do realise that it sold over 1m without any sort of bundling. Now it is an optional bundle, and it is one of many game that you can choose to get free with your PS3, in selected European countries. The difference between this an something like marvel ultimate alliance, is that you get to choose to buy it. Plus, the devs are part of Sony, so the publisher cut does not really come into it. Anyway, it is going to continue selling for a while.

Also,  KZ 2 will sell enough copies. CoD has sold over 2m copies, and will probably get to 3m. with double the user base at the end of this year and insane marketing/hype, it will sell 4-5m copies

krik said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

So is guerrilla so kitlers point failed.

krik said:
DMeisterJ said:

What's the source for your number of 20 million?