By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted's budget was...

weezy said:
no wonder why ppl would rather make a wii game than ps3.

do you want to make money? dont make a ps3 game.

unless.... my M$ mole was right and $80 games are on the way.. :)

there is always the PSN which titles can be made for under $200k.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

20 Million cost is ouch.

But seeing how they made around 10 Million profit with the current sales.

50% ROI isn't ouch...

It's actually pretty good...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold (1.25 million copies - bundled copies) * (sixty bucks - retail cut - publisher cut) a copy, equals ~20 million in revenue for the developer? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~4 million copies? cool.

fixed a few oversights for ya.

Was this before or after marketing? I know that Gears of War cost $10 mil. before marketing, and $20 mil. after, but they didn't have to include the cost of making UE3.0 in that number, whereas Naughty Dog is including the cost of the ps3 engine they created while making Uncharted, as it was all one and the same project.

DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

I think Capcom said at some point to break even on a game they needed to sell 500k. I imagine they were talking about games with a budget of around 20mill.

However it's hard to tell. Apparently DMC4 needed to ship around 1.8million to break even.. I suppose if we compare it to LP, which cost 20mill to make and 20mill to advertise then maybe 1.8mill is about right. Would mean Dmc cost a little more to develop then the costs of doing it multiplatform.

I would imagine Uncharted cost 20mill then advertising. So maybe 30mill? 40? I don't live in America or the Uk so have no idea the amount it was advertised.

So assume uncharted had to sell maybe 750k-1mill to break even. It has probably shipped around 1.5million or something.

Hard to know though, maybe capcom needed that much if they were publishing and developing. I have no idea how much ND get from each game sold.

If we assume Killzone 2 costs 50million to make then probably what? 70-80million with advertising. So yea around 2million shipped to break even would be about right. Considering the first killzone sold 750k in america (no idea how much elsewhere, maybe 1.5million WW shipped is a reasonable guess) on a system with a much bigger install base, it could be a problem for Guerilla and Sony.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
weezy said:
Bodhesatva said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold 1.25 million copies * sixty bucks a copy, equals 75 million in revenue? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~2 million copies? cool.

Exactly. I don't think there's any question that it's made a profit.

Including advertisement

Having to break sony off with a huge chunk.

any many more factors im not including, they arent really making much.

They are owned by Sony, so Sony should be making all the revenue. 0_o

kingofwale said:
Bodhesatva said:

This is a classic debating tactic.

First, you insist that your "opponent" has claimed some ridiculously high (or low) statistic.

Then, you show that the actual value of that statistic is lower than the ridiculous claim.

"Some people claim that over a million people die each year due to gun related violence in the US. In reality, it's less than two hundred thousand!"

This makes it look your figure is actually low, when it's only low in comparison to some ridiculously high figure.

I don't think any reasonable person here thought that games were averaging 40 million, just that some of the higher end games did cost that much (such as Killzone2 and MGS4). I honestly don't know of anyone who thought this was the norm.

20 Million is very high, and puts the given estimates for copies needed to break even right where we've heard they are for higher end games: 700-1000k units. Sounds about right to me, and only further cements my perception that the PS3 is, indeed, very expensive to develop for.

well, you do need money to get perfection. and Uncharted is one of the (if not THE) best game of 07 for Sony. 20 million for a PS3GOTY is a bargain in my opinion.

but it's also very risky business, if the game sucks, the developer will get punished heavily by PS3 users, like Lair did

Absolutely, not arguing at all with the game's quality, or value.

But if you're showing this as evidence that making PS3 games isn't expensive? No, that is not something this game proves. Again, it suggests quite the opposite, unless you were under the impression that games cost 40 million to make on average.

20 million effectively doubles the cost from last generation. That is not cheap. The fact that development costs didn't quadruple doesn't make doubling costs good, just less bad than some ridiculous inflationary statistic.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Don't Sony or MSFT cover some of the marketing costs for exclusives ?

I mean, that would kinda make sense if they did..

20 millions isn't cheap but you gotta realize some titles are assured to sell several millions, that wasn't a given for Uncharted but for games like MGS4 or AC they know in advance they will be million sellers and they have dedicate a decent budget to match those expectations.

I woudn't be surprised if a game like AC costed around 50 millions with marketing costs included. But they sold over 5 million copies and the next 2 games in the trilogy will be cheaper to make and bring even more cash.

I mean these days, any decent action movie cost around 100 Millions or more with marketing costs included.......

We've gotten used to a certain level of graphics for top games and those do not come cheap.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

makingmusic476 said:
weezy said:
Bodhesatva said:
DMeisterJ said:

Exactly. I don't think there's any question that it's made a profit.

Including advertisement

Having to break sony off with a huge chunk.

any many more factors im not including, they arent really making much.

They are owned by Sony, so Sony should be making all the revenue. 0_o

Insomniac is 2nd party

So they break sony off with a HUGE chunk. :)

thats all I was trying to say.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

kitler53 said:
DMeisterJ said:
So uncharted has sold (1.25 million copies - bundled copies) * (sixty bucks - retail cut - publisher cut) a copy, equals ~20 million in revenue for the developer? I mean, I know some of that goes to the store and Sony, but it basically made profit, right?

So with all of those "ZOMG Killzone 2 costs 50 million" threads will be quenced, so long as it sells ~4 million copies? cool.

fixed a few oversights for ya.

Lmao how many of those have been bundled? 5k? 10k?