By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (almost slightly)BOLD PREDICTION! PS4 will catch WiiU in Japan in 2016

PS4 will catch WiiU

NEVARR!! 38 23.90%

2014 17 10.69%

2015 43 27.04%

2016 31 19.50%

2017 15 9.43%

2018 2 1.26%

After the start of next gen 13 8.18%

Total:159
spemanig said:

You realize that the PS4 is tracking behind the Wii U within the same time frame in sales there, right? The PS4 will never catch the Wii U. None of the PS4 exclusives have the power to boost the PS4 past the Wii U in Japan.

Wow, some Nintendo fans can't seem to get enough of crow.

What you're saying in this thread is totally irrational, just because the PS4 is now tracking behind the Wii U, doesn't mean it'll never catch it, that makes no sense.

We have no real clue of how good or bad the PS4 is going to eventually do in Japan, cause at this point in time it has exactly 0 exclusive games that can really push the japanese audience into buying one.

The PS4 is going to have the same experience as the Vita in Japan, it's going to take a while but after a year or so the third parties in Japan will have jumped over to it and with a then steady stream of games we will see what the real sales potential of the PS4 is.

Now the Vita can't beat its competition even now, but that's because it's competition is actually strong in Japan, with the Wii U that is, if you've forgotten, not the case, it is doing terribly over there. I know, I know it's getting MK and Smash, those are the go to excuses from Nintendo fans nowadays, let's wait a couple weeks so you can see how MK boosts sales for 3-4 weeks just for them to get back to the sad state they're in right now.

So it's still very much a real possibility for the PS4 to outsell the Wii U in Japan and I'd wager that the end of 2016 could be a plausible time for that to happen.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
spemanig said:

You realize that the PS4 is tracking behind the Wii U within the same time frame in sales there, right? The PS4 will never catch the Wii U. None of the PS4 exclusives have the power to boost the PS4 past the Wii U in Japan.

What you're saying in this thread is totally irrational, just because the PS4 is now tracking behind the Wii U, doesn't mean it'll never catch it, that makes no sense.

We have no real clue of how good or bad the PS4 is going to eventually do in Japan, cause at this point in time it has exactly 0 exclusive games that can really push the japanese audience into buying one.

The PS4 is going to have the same experience as the Vita in Japan, it's going to take a while but after a year or so the third parties in Japan will have jumped over to it and with a then steady stream of games we will see what the real sales potential of the PS4 is.

Now the Vita can't beat its competition even now, but that's because it's competition is actually strong in Japan, with the Wii U that is, if you've forgotten, not the case, it is doing terribly over there. I know, I know it's getting MK and Smash, those are the go to excuses from Nintendo fans nowadays, let's wait a couple weeks so you can see how MK boosts sales for 3-4 weeks just for them to get back to the sad state they're in right now.

So it's still very much a real possibility for the PS4 to outsell the Wii U in Japan and I'd wager that the end of 2016 could be a plausible time for that to happen.

You're delusional if you think this a petty console war thing. They're both failures in japan. Go take your console war bullshit to someone who cares.

spemanig said:

You're delusional if you think this a petty console war thing. They're both failures in japan. Go take your console war bullshit to someone who cares.

How can you call the PS4 a failure if you haven't even seen it in action?

Just 3 months on the market, no major exclusives and no holiday season. How long until you decided the WiiU was a failure? After 3 months as well?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

spemanig said:
DerNebel said:

You call it console war, I call it comment on the situation both consoles are in in Japan, mixed in with some notes about the state of some Nintendo fans on here.

You can ignore that part of my post about the Nintendo fan mentality, if you want but if you don't have a counterpoint to the rest of what I wrote, then maybe you shouldn't say things like "it's impossible for the PS4 to outsell the Wii U in Japan"

That depends, we haven't seen the impact a truly big Japanese centric franchise might have on the PS4's hardware sales, most of the bestsellers on charts now are Western centric games with less appeal.
We have seen Zelda remake, NSMB, SM3DW and quite a few other titles launch in Japan but the baseline numbers are still very low.

I think you might be right but in the end it'll be more about an easy target than an actual laudable sales feat, in my opinion.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
That depends, we haven't seen the impact a truly big Japanese centric franchise might have on the PS4's hardware sales, most of the bestsellers on charts now are Western centric games with less appeal.
We have seen Zelda remake, NSMB, SM3DW and quite a few other titles launch in Japan but the baseline numbers are still very low.

I think you might be right but in the end it'll be more about an easy target than an actual laudable sales feat, in my opinion.

That's why it's bold and why I'm doing this prediction now. Nobody knows yet what an effect the big games or the holidays will have on PS4 or if developers are ready to move.

I could either be horribly wrong or PS4 could reach that goal already next year.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
spemanig said:

How can you call the PS4 a failure if you haven't even seen it in action?

Just 3 months on the market, no major exclusives and no holiday season. How long until you decided the WiiU was a failure? After 3 months as well?

There are no major PS4 exclusives to sell to the Japanese. Just like there are no big Wii U exclusives in Japan. There was NSMBU. That's it. Everything else is as good as irrelevant in Japan.

What you can see is that Wii U sold only 200k more than PS4 in the same time whereas it had system sellers and holiday, so it seems obvious that PS4 will catch Wii U soon or later when it will get exclusives on a regular basis ( which is better than 1-2 big and short system seller in a year ).

Dont know why some people are delusionnal about that fact.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

spemanig said:

There are no major PS4 exclusives to sell to the Japanese. Just like there are no big Wii U exclusives in Japan. There was NSMBU. That's it. Everything else is as good as irrelevant in Japan.

I don't know what your definition of "major" is. I think there will be quite a handful of system movers for both Wii U and PS4.

vivster said:
spemanig said:

I don't know what your definition of "major" is. I think there will be quite a handful of system movers for both Wii U and PS4.

Yeah, in the west. I already talked about the sales history of the other editions to those franchises on systems far more successful in Japan that the PS4 or Wii U will ever be. Consoles are dead there.