By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD console graphics performance comparison charts

DonFerrari said:
Yes... don't use unknown numbers... ignore that WiiU have games with graphics close to PS360 and just use the info that MK8 is 1080p60fps and then must be better than X1/PS4.

Which is still not confirmed btw.

Around the Network
Adameh said:

What about the Wii?

DerNebel said:
DonFerrari said:
Yes... don't use unknown numbers... ignore that WiiU have games with graphics close to PS360 and just use the info that MK8 is 1080p60fps and then must be better than X1/PS4.

Which is still not confirmed btw.

Ignore that as well.

The whole idea of this thread is to say the ballpark of the graphics power of the consoles... like PS3 and X360 are really close by, WiiU is not much better and PS4 is considerably stronger than X1. The exact number may be wrong, but we know WiiU is a lot closer to PS360 than to PSX1... bur probably curl is more busy on belittling this point just to make WiiU look better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

curl-6 said:

You don't have confirmed numbers or specs, so the graph is meaningless.

Word of advice; don't use wikipedia as a source; the only reference for its Wii U stats is a Eurogamer article which itself was mere speculation.

The graph isn't "meaningless"! It holds lots of truth and facts, yes some parts are speculations, but they are done by experts and are accuarate enough to take as approximately true.

Why are you so negative about those graphs? They sum up the situation very nicely.

curl-6 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
curl-6 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Die foto's have been looked at countless times, and the specs given are actually the maximum possible and exceed what is possible with the given power draw. Even AMD newest R5 line has lower performance per watt figures, and those chips are considerably smaller(not even including the power draw of the eDRAM). Specifications like clock speed are confirmed.

The people discussing the die photos can't even agree on the specs. It's not an off the shelf part, and only Nintendo and AMD, and developers under NDA know what customizations may have been made. Given that the entire system is designed with a fetish for minimizing power draw, its very possible the GPU was redesigned to be as power-efficient as possible.

I agree and that's what i said in the earlier post, the modifications made were mostly to make it more energy efficient. They are not going to boost performance.

By being more power efficient, performance would no longer correlate with power draw in the same way as with a standard part.

I don't really get what you're aiming at here. You're saying the Wii-U's design is more efficient than even AMD's newest gpu's? Or that from any major chip company for that matter?

The chip is based on (older)AMD technology and considering the power draw the numbers given are the maximum possible. Sure they are calculated and not reported number by Nintendo, but If they deviate in any way from the actual numbers the real numbers could only end up lower. Nintendo can't defy the laws of physics. Based on the die photo's the core has an configuration of 320:16:8. Again if the numbers actually different they could only be lower, higher doesn't fit on the chip and would consume more power.

Around the Network

memory bandwidth not including edram makes exactly 0 sense.

Its like saying 360 vs X1 CPU performance not including more than 3 cores.

Richard_Feynman said:
curl-6 said:

You don't have confirmed numbers or specs, so the graph is meaningless.

Word of advice; don't use wikipedia as a source; the only reference for its Wii U stats is a Eurogamer article which itself was mere speculation.

The graph isn't "meaningless"! It holds lots of truth and facts, yes some parts are speculations, but they are done by experts and are accuarate enough to take as approximately true.

Why are you so negative about those graphs? They sum up the situation very nicely.

So it holds "truths and facts", like in "there is more than one thruth" and "experts" (like everyone is on the internet) make it "approximately" true. 
I think we'd better stick to looking at the games. At this moment Wii U games look slightly better than PS360 and PS4 games look slightly better than X1. That's the truth for now and we don't need graphs for that.

JazzB1987 said:

memory bandwidth not including edram makes exactly 0 sense.

Its like saying 360 vs X1 CPU performance not including more than 3 cores.

And if you were to include the edram you would magically call X1 bandwidth like 210 instead of 62?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

AnthonyW86 said:
curl-6 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
curl-6 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Die foto's have been looked at countless times, and the specs given are actually the maximum possible and exceed what is possible with the given power draw. Even AMD newest R5 line has lower performance per watt figures, and those chips are considerably smaller(not even including the power draw of the eDRAM). Specifications like clock speed are confirmed.

The people discussing the die photos can't even agree on the specs. It's not an off the shelf part, and only Nintendo and AMD, and developers under NDA know what customizations may have been made. Given that the entire system is designed with a fetish for minimizing power draw, its very possible the GPU was redesigned to be as power-efficient as possible.

I agree and that's what i said in the earlier post, the modifications made were mostly to make it more energy efficient. They are not going to boost performance.

By being more power efficient, performance would no longer correlate with power draw in the same way as with a standard part.

I don't really get what you're aiming at here. You're saying the Wii-U's design is more efficient than even AMD's newest gpu's? Or that from any major chip company for that matter?

The chip is based on (older)AMD technology and considering the power draw the numbers given are the maximum possible. Sure they are calculated and not reported number by Nintendo, but If they deviate in any way from the actual numbers the real numbers could only end up lower. Nintendo can't defy the laws of physics. Based on the die photo's the core has an configuration of 320:16:8. Again if the numbers actually different they could only be lower, higher doesn't fit on the chip and would consume more power.

We know there are basically just 2 possibilities of why Nintendo haven't announced the power of the graphics card. First is that they don't think they are competing against Sony/MS and so the number don't matter, or they know that releasing the number would make everybody know for sure that their console is weaker and that could harm them... In no way that prevents us to be sure WiiU is a lot weaker, we had several devs saying it would range from less powerfull than PS360 to slightly more powerfull... but always on the same ballpark.

No dev ever compared it to PS4/X1 because that would be idiot.

AnthonyW86 said:
curl-6 said:

Even the techheads can't agree on something so simple as the number of shader parts or which part of the GPU does what, not to mention what customizations may have been made.

You're posting guesswork as if it's fact.