By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: PS4 Receiving Massive Performance Boost From Team ICE [UPDATED}

This is most probably because Cort said a few weeks ago he sped up a function by 100 or so, AFAIR. Nothing really groundbreaking as they are still rewriting functions from CELL to x64.

edit:

And after that speedup and the people on the internet overreacting to this, now these guys make fun of these people:

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
@Zekkou.

Mentioning Nvidia proves my point. They say their drivers boost performance 30-40% all the time. Yet you rarely only notice a difference if it had a problem in a certain game..... Performance gains are very little to do with drivers. It is learning platforms and optimizing game engines. This thread is about drivers not software in general.

Day 1 PS2 games look far worse than games at the end of the PS2s life and the drivers were barely touched...... If you believe that drivers drastically improve performance then you are going to be disappointed....

So you mean to tell me that when the TR driver released soon after launch and my old comps fps jumped from 35 to 55, it pulled the power right out of its butt? O: Good to know o/

Really though, i'd agree nvidea tend to over promise but that doesn't stop their drivers being effective. If a single one can see a performance boost, i fail to see how hard it is to believe several years of refinement can deliver results.

Anyway, your initial comment was that no software is going to boost performance by any meaningful amount. When considering engines, drivers, refinement of pre existing development tools and changed functions, it's obvious software is a pretty big deal :p

Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
@Zekkou.

Mentioning Nvidia proves my point. They say their drivers boost performance 30-40% all the time. Yet you rarely only notice a difference if it had a problem in a certain game..... Performance gains are very little to do with drivers. It is learning platforms and optimizing game engines. This thread is about drivers not software in general.

Day 1 PS2 games look far worse than games at the end of the PS2s life and the drivers were barely touched...... If you believe that drivers drastically improve performance then you are going to be disappointed....

So you mean to tell me that when the TR driver released soon after launch and my old comps fps jumped from 35 to 55, it pulled the power right out of its butt? O: Good to know o/

Really though, i'd agree nvidea tend to over promise but that doesn't stop their drivers being effective. If a single one can see a performance boost, i fail to see how hard it is to believe several years of refinement can deliver results.

Anyway, your initial comment was that no software is going to boost performance by any meaningful amount. When considering engines, drivers, refinement of pre existing development tools and changed functions, it's obvious software is a pretty big deal :p

Optimizing engines is quite a bit to do with performance. But drivers are very little to do with it, the drivers that are there in the first place are not just "junk" but they do optimize them to give you a 2-3% increase here and there which makes little to no difference to the end user. Also if you jumped from 35 to 55 FPS in a game that game had a "problem" with the GPU as I said in my other post. That does happen it is nothing to do with increasing the "performance" of the GPU.

rolltide101x said:
Zekkyou said:

Optimizing engines is quite a bit to do with performance. But drivers are very little to do with it, the drivers that are there in the first place are not just "junk" but they do optimize them to give you a 2-3% increase here and there which makes little to no difference to the end user. Also if you jumped from 35 to 55 FPS in a game that game had a "problem" with the GPU as I said in my other post. That does happen it is nothing to do with increasing the "performance" of the GPU.

If you say so

Who or what is team ice exactly?

Around the Network
TheKingofRedLions said:

How would they do that?

inFAMOUS Second Son was limited to using just 4.5GB of the 8GB memory the system has. The launch spec for long time was going to be 6GB total instead of 8GB. With the OS really needing/using 1.5GB, I think there is 2GB of that fast video memory that is untapped.

Or thats the best I could grasp at and the article/claims are total crap...

Maybe Ubisoft can use it to patch Watchdogs at 1080p later...

zero129 said:
Seems like every current/nextgen console has secret saurce now, i wonder if the ouya or whatever its called has some secret sauce too xD.

WiiU confirmed to be a last gen console?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Why are people calling this 'secret sauce'? This is just optimisation and Thuway is exaggerating as usual. It would still be interesting to find out just what they're talking about.

Why do people who put forward a counter argument always have to exaggerate in order to give their reasoning validity?

The PS5 Exists. 

zero129 said:
AZWification said:

WiiU confirmed to be a last gen console?

Noooo WiiU is the first one to use this magic saurce dont worry we will get our mushroom saurce and no other console has such magic saurce they are just all imitating damnit!! xD.

Mushroom sauce looks delicious, but I am not sure if it will save the WiiU!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---