By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: PS4 Receiving Massive Performance Boost From Team ICE [UPDATED}

rolltide101x said:
Not this again..... Software can not boost hardware performance by any truly meaningful level.

That's not true at all. Improved drivers and more efficient development tools are what cause the huge leap we see within each generation. They don't jump from Resistance 1 to TLOU by pulling power out of their asses  

I'd certainly agree though that if this is true he's heavily exaggerating it, similarly to what people have been doing with dx12. We aren't going to see huge jumps this early in the gen, it's a slow process that takes years.

Around the Network

With all the heat the PS4 produces now.... i dont see this as true

God's not bloody secret sauce for PS4! This we do not need. I vote secret sauce threads be banned if/when this rumour turns out to be Sony releasing an extra 0.5 GB of RAM for devs to use.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ehh, all this theories and rumors need to stop. a massive boost happening all at once just wont happen with these consoles. just like every other console that ever existed before, software will improve slowly with time. not all at once.

@Zekkou

That is due to learning the platform and more optimized engines. It has very little to do with drivers.

Around the Network

@Zekkou

Drivers may take a game from running 55 FPS to 60 FPS at 900p. But it is impossible to take a game from that to 1080p and 60 FPS with just drivers.

BraLoD said:
Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
Not this again..... Software can not boost hardware performance by any truly meaningful level.

That's not true at all. Improved drivers and more efficient development tools are what cause the huge leap we see within each generation. They don't jump from Resistance 1 to TLOU by pulling power out of their asses  

I'd certainly agree though that if this is true he's heavily exaggerating it, similarly to what people have been doing with dx12. We aren't going to see huge jumps this early in the gen, it's a slow process that takes years.

I don't think it will take that much time to we start seeing the improvements in this gen like last gen.
PS3 was a very trick piece of hardware to work with, so they took too long to get interested in it and solve the problems so they could start getting the true potential of it, but this gen the consoles are basically PC's that will not take that long to devs to start doing better things with it, they already have experience with hardware like the consoles have.
By november 2015 we should already being seeing the improvements on the games, then it will slow down after it and will improve slowly until the end.

I agree with that at least. We likely aren't going to see game changing (heh heh) jumps as quickly as Thuway is implying, but things should certainly move along much faster than previously.

It will be interesting to see what things look like by the end of the gen, once both the X1 and PS4 have been "maxed out".

rolltide101x said:
@Zekkou

That is due to learning the platform and more optimized engines. It has very little to do with drivers.

More refined engines, better development tools, new drivers, they are all software.

Go read up on the kind of improvements we often see when nvidea release their latest drivers. Now imagine what kind of improvements we get over 5 years of perfecting them for a static set of hardware.

As i said, he's certainly exaggerating as to the effectiveness of what ICE may have been working on, but hardware is only as effective as the software it's running on.

These rumours are getting really annoying...

TheKingofRedLions said:

How would they do that?

I guess DX13 is a PS4 exclusive :p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.