By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumour: PS4 Receiving Massive Performance Boost From Team ICE [UPDATED}

method114 said:
poklane said:
method114 said:
poklane said:
method114 said:
poklane said:
method114 said:
Maybe they are allowing people devs to disable the odd during gameplay like last gen. So you won't be able to just jump from the OS to the game but games will have a lot more ram to use.

Every dev that wont let people go to the Playstation Menu during gameplay will get a lot of hate, and Sony also will. No way Sony will ever allow that.

I don't see why they would recieve a lot of hate. I'm not saying that going to the OS doesn't ever come in handy but it's hardly something I need.

A lot of people constantly go to the OS during gameplay, I can't remember the last time I didn't.

Well I'm not really sure how you would guage how many people are going to the OS during gameplay. It's not something they are used to either way as it just started this gen and was not something we could do last gen.  May I ask what you do by going to the OS all the time? I really have no reason to go back to the OS during a game.

Just making sure: with OS, you mean the menu's, right? You could do that on PS3 and Xbox 360

I'm constantly sending messages, checking what others are playing and checking time between gameplay.

I mean straight to the os screen. Like the screen you would see when you first turn on the PS4. Could you do that in the PS3 and 360? Maybe I'm just forgetting.

You could on both, but the PS3's didn't have the background (the game was the background) and didn't allow for certain settings. I don't know what you can/can't do in the Xbox 360 menu during gameplay.

Around the Network

How would this be possible without new hardware?

There is only so much engine optimization and stuff that can be done.
The consoles are not magical and all powerful like what was being touted before their release, they have very real limits, and its about time people came to realise this.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Cleary397 said:

The consoles are not magical and all powerful like what was being touted before their release, they have very real limits, and its about time people came to realise this

This boost is about new techniques and libraries that make use the hardware better than before they could do up to now. So, using the new techinques and library developed by ICE teamc could give better peformance in futures games but not for those already released games which used different libraries and techniques.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Cleary397 said:

The consoles are not magical and all powerful like what was being touted before their release, they have very real limits, and its about time people came to realise this.

Well, my first thought is it depends on their definition of massive, hard to tell without knowing how they're quantifying this.  Additionally, engines can be optimized further and further for years...it's why GTA IV was a bare bones GTA game (new engine), and RDR and GTAV were much more complex/diverse etc...  I'm not saying that the ICE team has unlocked the programming holy grail, not even the slightest.  But, to say there's only so much engine optimization that can be done....6 months into a consoles life cycle is forgetting how games and code improve over the years.

Stil, take it with a grain of salt until they're willing to elaborate on the 'Massive' claim.

method114 said:
poklane said:
method114 said:
poklane said:
method114 said:
Maybe they are allowing people devs to disable the odd during gameplay like last gen. So you won't be able to just jump from the OS to the game but games will have a lot more ram to use.

Every dev that wont let people go to the Playstation Menu during gameplay will get a lot of hate, and Sony also will. No way Sony will ever allow that.

I don't see why they would recieve a lot of hate. I'm not saying that going to the OS doesn't ever come in handy but it's hardly something I need.

A lot of people constantly go to the OS during gameplay, I can't remember the last time I didn't.

Well I'm not really sure how you would guage how many people are going to the OS during gameplay. It's not something they are used to either way as it just started this gen and was not something we could do last gen.  May I ask what you do by going to the OS all the time? I really have no reason to go back to the OS during a game.

I tend to go to the OS to reply to friends requests or messages from friends. While I'm there I may occasionally save my current game to the cloud just for security.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

It won't be massive but it's possible.

Regardless of all this secret sauce shit, I really can't wait to see what these guys have managed to do with the PS4.

All right stop, Collaborate and listen. ICE is back with my brand new invention.

Predicting that Second Son (PS4) will outsell Titanfall (XOne) in lifetime sales.  Click here for sales comparison thread.

I doubt more power is somehow being added. Its far more likely that Naughty Dog, being a quality game developer studio, is making a superb game that demonstrates how you can utilize the PS4 SDK to garner better results.

Then they are giving away their tweaks that will likely become an SDK update to PS4 for everyone else.

This is a good breakdown of what it could be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMi58FuNTU

The PS5 Exists.