By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Lacks Racial Diversity Says Reviewer (Update)

DevilRising said:
Yup. You heard it here first folks. Those motherfuckers at Nintendo, those Japanese bastards....are pro-white racists. In a game where half the roster is non-human.

Hahaha. this made me chuckle :)

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network

There are no stereotypical butch lesbians in this racing kart game! Cry foul! Prejudice!

There are no Indian characters! This is barbaric!

There are no characters portraying heavily tattooed men who wish to look like cats! Outrageous!

There are no... Yeah, you get the point.

It is just... black people suck at Mario Kart... :/

I am also offended by the lack of gay characters in Mario Kart 8. At least the Zelda games have that aspect covered.

The severe lack of elderly people in this cartoon racer is also highly disturbing and should be frowned upon. What about all the grandparents playing this game with their kids? They could have easily added Cranky Kong. Then again, that ought to be interpreted as old people being akin to apes. Hm.

Rabblerabblerabble!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Even if I was buying a Wii-U or this game I wouldn't give a shit and I'm black. Although, that picture does give me this weird feeling with all of the characters lined up like that.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network

Seriously, they can make thousands of different "non whites" using the mii maker. And really, all whites are not the same anyway.

You're the type of whiner who convinced the directors of Thor to include an asian and an afro-american in Aasgard.

Edit: AASGARD, DAMMIT

Fuck that reviewer. A lack of Black or Asian people in a series about a Faux European Kingdom based world is not the same as refusing gay marriage in a life simulator... The lack of which I, as a gay person, am willing to concede nearly makes sense in its original Japanese context, which is even more depressing.

Minorities don't always get represention, especially if it clashes with the series mythos. Leaving gay options out of a life simulator is like making Asian or White the only styles in a character creator.

Shadow1980 said:
badgenome said:

Gee. A game made in a country that lacks racial diversity lacks racial diversity? You don't fucking say.

This. I mean, how often do you see people of African, Latino, or Mideast/North African ancestry in anime, manga, or Japanese video games? Not very. And of the very few non-Asian minorities in Japan, the one they're probably most familiar with are white people, considering that in their media most non-Asian characters are of European ancestry. They've had a lot of contact with Europe and the U.S. over the last 150 years, including U.S. military bases in the present, and considering the demographics of Europe and the U.S. black or Latino people are probably not a common sight in Japan. It probably just never occurred to Miyamoto to put non-Caucasian characters into the Mario universe. Japan is a different culture and a very racially homogeneous nation, and thus one cannot complain about them not applying American standards of racial diversity to their games, even if they do release their games in the West. The reviewer is just making a mountain out of a molehill. Besides, you can play as a Mii, which last I checked can be whatever race you want it to be.

Very good post. Spot on!

There is no international standard of 'appropriate' racial/cultural diversity, it is a regional thing. Otherwise we would be obliged to represent all cultures and races at all times in all media.

This complaint makes about as much sense as me complaining about the lack of Australian Aborigines or Uyghurs in US TV shows.

for fucks sake this is fucking retarded.

cant enjoy shit anymore.