By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
DexInDaJungle said:
I feel like the majority of casual gamers who would have been interested in buying an Xbox One because they enjoyed their Xbox 360 may have been thrown off by the price difference. I believe half of those people are either holding out for a price drop or already own a PS4.

As for the more hardcore gamers, a good deal of them are either exclusively loyal to Nintendo or they went with the cheaper, more powerful console. Brand loyalty is a myth when it comes to Microsoft and Sony, whoever has the better deal at the time is gonna be the one people go to. This isn't a knock on Sony or Microsoft fans, it's just the way I see it. If you disagree then you tell me, if Microsoft had a cheaper product that outperforms the competition and has great games on it, you would buy Sony's product? I doubt that.

With that said, Microsoft can still come out of this hole. The performance issue isn't as big as people make it out to be, if they can give people enough great exclusives people won't care as much about whether the game is in 1080p and 60FPS. The price can be cut down and the DRM thing will eventually die out, probably by the end of this years E3.

Funny, I actually wrote an entire article about Microsoft and how they can dig their ways out last week and now here I am talking about it again. (Trying to give my blog a cheap plug :P)

Well by limiting the argument to hardcore gamers alone then i think Sony and MS definitely have a core following, who no matter what, will buy their product. Sony has had this following for a while, just look at the PS3's early sales. The 360 was the better value preposition yet people still bought the PS3. When price came down, then the rest followed.

And to a lesser extent, the sales of X1 despite price, kinect, and terrible PR is indicative of a core following for the brand.

So yeah, i think all 3 manufacturers have a core following that will buy based on loyalty.

Also..post the link to your blog article

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
jlmurph2 said:
Sony didn't ditch the PS camera in every box because of Microsoft. They did it because it would take away from PS4 shipments and manufacturing. Earlier this year it was said that the very supply constrained camera sold 900k compared to the 7m PS4'S sold. Sony didn't feel it was worth the time to put a camera in every box. It may have been to sell more PS4'S but the decision wasn't made at E3.

+2 for Logic.

claim without evidence = speculation

claim + fact that ps4 was supply constrained + camera was more supply constrained then ps4 + reasoning = logical conclusion.

You know that DS4 light bar exists for a reason, don´t you? And PSCamera was so important for Sony that at February 2013 presentation they spent almost 10mintus on it (+ Move).

PSCamera was to be bundled untill the very last moment when MS openned the guard for Sony outcut then in price.

We know Kinect 360 sold at least 25mi units in 3 years even with terrible support from game developers. I can asure you that Sony would have sacrificed all "The Last of Us" GOTY for that kind off financial success.

We've been over this.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BraveNewWorld said:

Sony was originally going to ship the PS4 with the PS Eye, at $500. When they saw that the Xbox One was doing the same thing they changed course to beat Microsoft's pricing.

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal the DRM policies to guage reaction. When they saw it was overwhelmingly negative they changed course.

Also when you utilize reasoning skills you discover how utterely impossible this is.

How did Sony watch E3, and then respond to XB1 backlash in time before November, when a company, orders of magnitude healtier and richer than they are, who the backlash was clearly directed at, IS STILL sticking with it.

HELL, they are both manufactured by FOXCONN

You don't think they would've noticed if employes started taking cameras out of the millions of blue boxes?!?!

You mean to tell me Sony said nope not gonna do that Last June and this Febuary MS is still saying:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-microsoft-no-plans-to-release-an-xbox-one-without-kinect

or that they are having trouble removing it when Sony did it so easily, with nobody finding out except Conspiracy Theorists and speculators?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

You mean to tell me MS did not learn of the importance of being cheaper last gen?! Are you fcking kidding me? Wake up!

Not to mention the fact that, doing the opposite of selling controllers without the light bar would fracture its support completely. Only people who had the camera would buy the ds4 with light bar. 

And a light bar doesn't drive the cost of the SKU up, so nobody especially not Sony, who've had a camera since the PS2 cares about how well the Kinect did.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

DRM was the bigger problem.  Your not forced to use kinect so its really not a big deal, but with DRM, it forced you to have a stable internet conection which is something not everyone has.  Besides, Kinect is not useless.  I'm not sure that it's worth the extra 100$, but it is far from useless.  I don't use voice commands that often, but the facial recognition is awesome, never have to sign myself in again, it just knows :).  Also, the HDMI in port was a great Idea, nice not having to switch channels, and getting notifications while watching TV so I can know when my friends are on.

Ka-pi96 said:
d21lewis said:
Compared to the reception of the PS4, yeah. They screwed up. But is it really doing badly? I haven't checked sales since forever but I thought it got off to a great start. And at least in my home, Titanfall and Max Curse of the Brotherhood are played quite a bit. People are pretty happy with it, right?

Yeah the Xbox One is doing well so far. Not as well as the PS4 but better than the 360 and the Wii U did in the same time.

And yeah people that have tryed it do seem to be happy with it. I've seen plenty of people bashing on the Xbox One but never anyone that actually owns one.

Really its doing well?

sure if you only look at Nov/Dec, past that its been doing rather bad.  

I own one and its at this time other other then wiiU the worst console iv owned, some games will change that hopefully but i wonder how long will ot take. 

Shinobi-san said:
DexInDaJungle said:
I feel like the majority of casual gamers who would have been interested in buying an Xbox One because they enjoyed their Xbox 360 may have been thrown off by the price difference. I believe half of those people are either holding out for a price drop or already own a PS4.

As for the more hardcore gamers, a good deal of them are either exclusively loyal to Nintendo or they went with the cheaper, more powerful console. Brand loyalty is a myth when it comes to Microsoft and Sony, whoever has the better deal at the time is gonna be the one people go to. This isn't a knock on Sony or Microsoft fans, it's just the way I see it. If you disagree then you tell me, if Microsoft had a cheaper product that outperforms the competition and has great games on it, you would buy Sony's product? I doubt that.

With that said, Microsoft can still come out of this hole. The performance issue isn't as big as people make it out to be, if they can give people enough great exclusives people won't care as much about whether the game is in 1080p and 60FPS. The price can be cut down and the DRM thing will eventually die out, probably by the end of this years E3.

Funny, I actually wrote an entire article about Microsoft and how they can dig their ways out last week and now here I am talking about it again. (Trying to give my blog a cheap plug :P)

Well by limiting the argument to hardcore gamers alone then i think Sony and MS definitely have a core following, who no matter what, will buy their product. Sony has had this following for a while, just look at the PS3's early sales. The 360 was the better value preposition yet people still bought the PS3. When price came down, then the rest followed.

And to a lesser extent, the sales of X1 despite price, kinect, and terrible PR is indicative of a core following for the brand.

So yeah, i think all 3 manufacturers have a core following that will buy based on loyalty.

Also..post the link to your blog article

I believe that the following Sony had for the PS3 was because of the games they had to offer over Microsoft. I mean look at the track history, the PS2 had some of the greatest games in history and the Xbox had Halo. This is coming from a guy who owns an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One, the original Xbox didn't have as much to offer as the PS2 did. This is why people went to the PS3. When looking at the overall product price, hardware performance and software should be looked at. And at the end of the day, people can over look the first two if it means they get great software.

Also I wasn't sure if I could advertise my blog but it's in my signature. The article is here - http://www.rubixgaming.com/gaming-columns/microsft-needs-success-at-e3

Around the Network
BeElite said:
Ka-pi96 said:
d21lewis said:
Compared to the reception of the PS4, yeah. They screwed up. But is it really doing badly? I haven't checked sales since forever but I thought it got off to a great start. And at least in my home, Titanfall and Max Curse of the Brotherhood are played quite a bit. People are pretty happy with it, right?

Yeah the Xbox One is doing well so far. Not as well as the PS4 but better than the 360 and the Wii U did in the same time.

And yeah people that have tryed it do seem to be happy with it. I've seen plenty of people bashing on the Xbox One but never anyone that actually owns one.

Really its doing well?

sure if you only look at Nov/Dec, past that its been doing rather bad.  

I own one and its at this time other other then wiiU the worst console iv owned, some games will change that hopefully but i wonder how long will ot take. 

Well i guess that's just your opinion man. Xbox One is the only system that I've ever bought Day One and I haven't regretted that decision once. It's right in between 360 and PS2 for best console I've owned. 

jlmurph2 said:

Well i guess that's just your opinion man. Xbox One is the only system that I've ever bought Day One and I haven't regretted that decision once. It's right in between 360 and PS2 for best console I've owned. 

Your seriously going to put the XB1 ahead of either the 360 or PS2 at this point?  That's pretty delusional.

whatever said:
jlmurph2 said:

Your seriously going to put the XB1 ahead of either the 360 or PS2 at this point?  That's pretty delusional.

From what I've seen of the 1st 6 months of all of them the Xbox One is high up in the list. You act as if I'm comparing the hundreds and hundreds of games out for PS2 and 360 to the low amount on Xbox One. so yes. As of right now IN MY OPINION, it's in between PS2 and 360 for consoles I've owned. 

jlmurph2 said:
whatever said:
jlmurph2 said:

From what I've seen of the 1st 6 months of all of them the Xbox One is high up in the list. You act as if I'm comparing the hundreds and hundreds of games out for PS2 and 360 to the low amount on Xbox One. so yes. As of right now IN MY OPINION, it's in between PS2 and 360 for consoles I've owned. 

You said "best console I've owned", not "best console I've owned in it's first 6 months".  I don't see how I could have interpreted what you said that way.

Zadainie said:

Careful dude Xbox fanbase will wage a war against you.LOL

Are you talking to yourself?