By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
crissindahouse said:
Main reasons are that Playstation is simply a more popular brand and the price/power differences. What do people expect? That Xbox One would sell better as PS4 even for a higher price without the DRM stuff?

Would be interesting to see how sales would be if Xbox One would cost 400 and PS4 500 bucks. That alone would bring them probably already much closer together. People shouldn't forget that PS3 had a high price and released one year later in America and even around 1.5 years later in Europe so that 360 had an advantage of 2 holiday seasons in Europe which helped over the whole gen.

This time PS4 released at the same time as Xbox and is even cheaper and not more expensive. When the PS3 released, the 360 was 299/399 and PS3 was 599. This time PS4 is 399 and Xbox One 499 (official prices) and people did still expect that Xbox one would sell as much or even more as PS4 without the DRM stuff and even when Xbox One is still not available in many markets (obviously smaller ones for Xbox)?

I think the DRM cost maybe a few 100k sales in the first few months but not more. At least all the people I know in real life who jumped from Xbox to Playstation have the price and power difference as reason and not the DRM.

If the price reversal had happened, then the situation would be somewhat similar to the PS3 ve X360 in the Anglo-Saxon world though, to a smaller extent due to the lack of a 1 year headstart and the negativity being on the MS side this time around BUT it still would make little difference elsewhere in the world, and Sony would still win globally, though by a smaller margin (it will be more than 2-to-1 this generation, but with the price reversal, it would be more like 1.5-to-1 in favor of PS4).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

It's all about being trendy or not period.... It could be 200 bucks more DD only if it was fashionable it would sell hot cake.... The big arm-wrestling that occurred last year put it in the black list of the trend machine... No matter what at that point it was bound to struggle more....
look at all the consumer electronic almost every high end product succeed or fail on trend alone... Regardless of quality, price, functionality or any computation of them...

CGI-Quality said:
BraveNewWorld said:
Microsoft's biggest mistake was revealing the Xbox One before Sony revealed the PS4. Sony pulled the wool over most people's eyes and made Microsoft out to be the bad guy; in fact Sony was going to do the same things but saw an opportunity and changed course. The rest is gaming history.

Huh?????? The PS4 was unveiled before the X1, you have nothing that can prove Sony ever had the same intentions as MS, and Sony "pulling the wool" is pure nonsense without context. How exactly did they do that?

Sony was originally going to ship the PS4 with the PS Eye, at $500. When they saw that the Xbox One was doing the same thing they changed course to beat Microsoft's pricing.

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal the DRM policies to guage reaction. When they saw it was overwhelmingly negative they changed course.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

FIT_Gamer said:
Where's the "all of the above" option?

I was trying to get a sense of what people thought was more responsible.  It seems like most feel it was just a perfect shitstorm of all of them.

BraveNewWorld said:
CGI-Quality said:
BraveNewWorld said:
Microsoft's biggest mistake was revealing the Xbox One before Sony revealed the PS4. Sony pulled the wool over most people's eyes and made Microsoft out to be the bad guy; in fact Sony was going to do the same things but saw an opportunity and changed course. The rest is gaming history.

Huh?????? The PS4 was unveiled before the X1, you have nothing that can prove Sony ever had the same intentions as MS, and Sony "pulling the wool" is pure nonsense without context. How exactly did they do that?

Sony was originally going to ship the PS4 with the PS Eye, at $500. When they saw that the Xbox One was doing the same thing they changed course to beat Microsoft's pricing.

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal the DRM policies to guage reaction. When they saw it was overwhelmingly negative they changed course.

Who the fuck cares about what coulda happen. What matters is what did happen. Besides where is your link confirming that Sony waited for Microsoft. I really doubt Sony could simply remove the PS camera from the packaging consider they had already begun manufacturing, the PS4 would've faced the same problem that the X1 is facing now, Manufacturers would've already signed the contracts and they wouldn't have been able to take them out without paying for the cameras anyway. Considering the fact that PS camera's are more outsold then PS4s right now, they would've at least sold 7.5 million cameras by now, and every PS4 owner would have the camera anyway.

Even in retail the camera is only 60$, Gamestop even jacked up the price to 70$ because it was hard to find.

400+60 = 500? yeah right thats not #math

See why your claims don't hold water?

I mean actually think about it, its taken about 6 months for Sony to get video editing in the PS4, but you claim they could remove an integral piece of hardware by the reaction of some people at a trade show? Get real.

Microsoft's biggest mistake was their own hubris, poor organization, and mishandling of their reception. They waited till preorders to make 180s all of the negative PR that festered before then was their own fault.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BraveNewWorld said:
CGI-Quality said:
BraveNewWorld said:

Who the fuck cares about what coulda happen. What matters is what did happen. Besides where is your link confirming that Sony waited for Microsoft. I really doubt Sony could simply remove the PS from the packaging consider they had already begun manufacturing, the PS4 would've faced the same problem that the X1 is facing now, Manufacturers would've already signed the contracts and they wouldn't have been able to take them out without paying for the cameras anyway. Considering the fact that PS camera's are more outsold then PS4s right now, they would've at least sold 7.5 million cameras by now, and every PS4 owner would have the camera anyway.

See why your claims don't hold water?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/sony-playstation-4-eye-camera-removed-from-bundle-over-price

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/xbox-one-backlash-very-useful-source-for-playstation-4

See why you're wrong?

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

whatever said:

The interesting thing is, they didn't need to do any of the DRM nonsense as the evolution of video games to mostly digital has been clear for a while now.

Instead of evolution, they went for revolution and it bit them big time.

Or do people think the bigger problem was the forced Kinect causing the $100 price difference.

The price difference crippled it, the power difference then killed it.

I was looking into the power - it is 4 years behind. This has meant a lot of people are seeing slightly improved graphics, but not much and what always helps sells next gen is when you first play one and are blown away by the stunning visuals. This time around for Xbox...that just didn't happen.

BraveNewWorld said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

Speculation, no Sony Source even listed
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/sony-playstation-4-eye-camera-removed-from-bundle-over-price

More Speculation, 

there's not necessarily a huge emphasis being placed on camera interaction," said Sony Computer Entertainment president Andrew House. 

is what he said, but maybe that has something to do with this:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future

spec·u·la·tion

"It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source.

Not to mention, MS had access to the EXACT SAME reaction cause you know, it was directed at them! 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/xbox-one-backlash-very-useful-source-for-playstation-4

spek-yuh-ley-shuhn

This article is commenting on the exact same quote as the previous link.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has admitted that the backlash to the Xbox One's DRM and always-online policies was "a very useful source" when the company was finalising its position on user rights.

Notice that important part about user rights? yah what the fock does user rights have to do with including a camera.

See why you're wrong?

Oh you really wanna play this game?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I switched from a 360 gamer with a 40,000 Gamerscore to PS after the DRM fiasco. I know several others who did the same thing. I will come back over to the Xbox later this year though, but we had to make our statement in some shape or form. I actually cancelled my Live account the day Microsoft announced that the One would have DRM. Which fortunately 2 weeks later they did away with it. I like to think my actions helped them right the ship lol.

BraveNewWorld said:

Also when you utilize reasoning skills you discover how utterely impossible this is.

How did Sony watch E3, and then respond to XB1 backlash in time before November, when a company, orders of magnitude healtier and richer than they are, who the backlash was clearly directed at, IS STILL sticking with it.

HELL, they are both manufactured by FOXCONN

You don't think they would've noticed if employes started taking cameras out of the millions of blue boxes?!?!

You mean to tell me Sony said nope not gonna do that Last June and this Febuary MS is still saying:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-microsoft-no-plans-to-release-an-xbox-one-without-kinect

or that they are having trouble removing it when Sony did it so easily, with nobody finding out except Conspiracy Theorists and speculators?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

You mean to tell me MS did not learn of the importance of being cheaper last gen?! Are you fcking kidding me? Wake up!