By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We all know Microsoft screwed up.

What was Microsoft's bigger mistake?

The DRM fiasco 253 30.01%

Forced Kinect and $100 price difference 305 36.18%

It wouldn't have mattere... 152 18.03%

I like turtles 128 15.18%

Total:838
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BraveNewWorld said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price

Speculation, no Sony Source even listed
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/sony-playstation-4-eye-camera-removed-from-bundle-over-price

More Speculation, 

there's not necessarily a huge emphasis being placed on camera interaction," said Sony Computer Entertainment president Andrew House. 

is what he said, but maybe that has something to do with this:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future

spec·u·la·tion

"It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source.

Not to mention, MS had access to the EXACT SAME reaction cause you know, it was directed at them! 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/xbox-one-backlash-very-useful-source-for-playstation-4

spek-yuh-ley-shuhn

This article is commenting on the exact same quote as the previous link.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has admitted that the backlash to the Xbox One's DRM and always-online policies was "a very useful source" when the company was finalising its position on user rights.

Notice that important part about user rights? yah what the fock does user rights have to do with including a camera.

See why you're wrong?

Oh you really wanna play this game?

If you're going to speculate that these links are speculation then go right ahead. This argument will just go in circles.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:

If you're going to speculate that these links are speculation then go right ahead. This argument will just go in circles.

If you don't understand the difference between reasoning and pure speculation then this isn't even an argument.

BraveNewWorld said:

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal the DRM policies to guage reaction. When they saw it was overwhelmingly negative they changed course.

You claimed this.

BraveNewWorld said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/sony-sacrificed-the-playstation-4-camera-to-beat-microsoft-on-price
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/sony-playstation-4-eye-camera-removed-from-bundle-over-price

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/4465674/sce-japan-heads-discuss-the-ps4-e3-and-the-near-future
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/xbox-one-backlash-very-useful-source-for-playstation-4

See why you're wrong?

Supported it with this. None of those links say anything similar to this Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that Sony waited for Microsoft, the closest being that Yoshida said the backlash was useful for them. You Jumped from useful info to confirmation of removal of camera. It was useful info for MS, Nintendo, EA, Sega...anyone who was paying the fuck attention. That day every one learned that People buy games don't like being told they can't play them.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Also when you utilize reasoning skills you discover how utterely impossible this is.

How did Sony watch E3, and then respond to XB1 backlash in time before November, when a company, orders of magnitude healtier and richer than they are, who the backlash was clearly directed at, IS STILL sticking with it.

HELL, they are both manufactured by FOXCONN

You don't think they would've noticed if employes started taking cameras out of the millions of blue boxes?!?!

You mean to tell me Sony said nope not gonna do that Last June and this Febuary MS is still saying:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-microsoft-no-plans-to-release-an-xbox-one-without-kinect

or that they are having trouble removing it when Sony did it so easily, with nobody finding out except Conspiracy Theorists and speculators?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/216199/Xbox_One_increases_Microsoft_revenues__but_its_cost_cuts_into_profits.php

You mean to tell me MS did not learn of the importance of being cheaper last gen?! Are you fcking kidding me? Wake up!

This proves why that claim is impossible.

So I'm not speculating sh1t, why what is true and false is obvious, why I know that all of your links are just speculation because they have been proven wrong, and that's why we have logic and reasoning.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

They need to drop the damn price............and release Banjo Threeie!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Sony didn't ditch the PS camera in every box because of Microsoft. They did it because it would take away from PS4 shipments and manufacturing. Earlier this year it was said that the very supply constrained camera sold 900k compared to the 7m PS4'S sold. Sony didn't feel it was worth the time, money and manpower to put a camera in every box. It may have been to sell more PS4'S but the decision wasn't made at E3. But it damn sure was made after the decision to put a light bar on every controller. (Or does the lightbar not connect to the camera?)

jlmurph2 said:
Sony didn't ditch the PS camera in every box because of Microsoft. They did it because it would take away from PS4 shipments and manufacturing. Earlier this year it was said that the very supply constrained camera sold 900k compared to the 7m PS4'S sold. Sony didn't feel it was worth the time to put a camera in every box. It may have been to sell more PS4'S but the decision wasn't made at E3.

+2 for Logic.

claim without evidence = speculation

claim + fact that ps4 was supply constrained + camera was more supply constrained then ps4 + reasoning = logical conclusion.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
jlmurph2 said:
Sony didn't ditch the PS camera in every box because of Microsoft. They did it because it would take away from PS4 shipments and manufacturing. Earlier this year it was said that the very supply constrained camera sold 900k compared to the 7m PS4'S sold. Sony didn't feel it was worth the time to put a camera in every box. It may have been to sell more PS4'S but the decision wasn't made at E3.

+2 for Logic.

claim + fact that ps4 was supply constrained + camera was more supply constrained then ps4 + reasoning = logical conclusion.

Yay I did good?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
jlmurph2 said:

+2 for Logic.

You know that DS4 light bar exists for a reason, don´t you? And PSCamera was so important for Sony that at February 2013 presentation they spent almost 10mintus on it (+ Move).

PSCamera was to be bundled untill the very last moment when MS openned the guard for Sony outcut then in price.

We know Kinect 360 sold at least 25mi units in 3 years even with terrible support from game developers. I can asure you that Sony would have sacrificed all "The Last of Us" GOTY for that kind off financial success.

So you're saying that Sony renegged on a contract to manufacture some 6 million cameras? If that's true, they must have paid hundreds of millions in penalties to the manufacturer. For what end? To sell more consoles at break even.
Makes sense...

I feel like the majority of casual gamers who would have been interested in buying an Xbox One because they enjoyed their Xbox 360 may have been thrown off by the price difference. I believe half of those people are either holding out for a price drop or already own a PS4.

As for the more hardcore gamers, a good deal of them are either exclusively loyal to Nintendo or they went with the cheaper, more powerful console. Brand loyalty is a myth when it comes to Microsoft and Sony, whoever has the better deal at the time is gonna be the one people go to. This isn't a knock on Sony or Microsoft fans, it's just the way I see it. If you disagree then you tell me, if Microsoft had a cheaper product that outperforms the competition and has great games on it, you would buy Sony's product? I doubt that.

With that said, Microsoft can still come out of this hole. The performance issue isn't as big as people make it out to be, if they can give people enough great exclusives people won't care as much about whether the game is in 1080p and 60FPS. The price can be cut down and the DRM thing will eventually die out, probably by the end of this years E3.

Funny, I actually wrote an entire article about Microsoft and how they can dig their ways out last week and now here I am talking about it again. (Trying to give my blog a cheap plug :P)

Burek said:
So you're saying that Sony renegged on a contract to manufacture some 6 million cameras? If that's true, they must have paid hundreds of millions in penalties to the manufacturer. For what end? To sell more consoles at break even.
Makes sense...

Production started only in september.

And the possibility that the camera alone would damage the production output and increase the final price might be the very reason it was unbundled.

The fact is that Sony spent a reseanable amount of time and money developing the new PSCamera, the lightbar is a reminder of the original view they have for the PS4.

This also include DRM verification that was rumored for the PS4 to have until the last minute of last year E3. Just remember that every "shark" at SCE was asked if PS4 would have any kind of online check or anti-used-games feature... they never denied they were working on it.

Sony decided to go the safast way, it´s been working for them... for now.