By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony explains why the Dualshock 4 lightbar exists.

Virtual Reality and Project Morpheus?

It is awesome! CanĀ“t wait! 72 26.77%

Scares me, will alienate ... 4 1.49%

Just a fad, will fail. 192 71.38%

Total:268

Always on Light Bar is so anti-consumer.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

That doesn't explain why there's no off switch.

That doesn't explain why the light bar can't be turned off though. If morpheus doesn't work without lightbar then you would just get a message to turn on the light bar before you can use VR.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

WagnerPaiva said:
Nem said:

I thought it was gonna be a better explanation. That doesnt explain why it has to be on all the time. If anything it supports the idea that it doesnt, because the Morpheus is an acessory that isnt yet available.

I still choose to believe a more likely explanation: Ego's. Some guy had this idea that he thought was amazing and the others let him run with it. The light bar is a poor idea and it should be removed from the controlled with due haste. It serves no practical purpose. Even if its because of Morpheus. What does it matter? You will have a visor on your face. You're not even gonna see that light!

So i believe this is a technical issue that was completely blindsided because of the Ego behind this idea. No one wanted to take this person on and he wants to be able to say that his touch is there in the system.

I think it is for the PSEYE to see, not the player, since it is for tracking and all. To be honest, I like the light, it is kinda fun to me, but I see how one could think it is stupid, I am just easily amused I guess.

I really don't get on the hate surrounding the light.  It's just a another color for the painters that are game creators to use.  Should we be able to turn it of?  Yeah, but still it's far from a nusance.  

Also I am confused by the people that say it is too bright at night.  I have played in a pitch black room, and it was never noticable.

Doesn't make sense, most people won't own a Playstation camera, or Morpheus, so why force 'em to have it on?

Around the Network
BOLLOCKS said:
Doesn't make sense, most people won't own a Playstation camera, or Morpheus, so why force 'em to have it on?

yeah or if it REALLY had to be that way, they could patch it in when morpheus launched.

Don't really get the hate for the light bar. Guess this place is full of Vampires. Sure the option to turn it off would be nice (and could well be added in a firmware update) but it's made out to be such a huge deal needlessly.

As for morpheus, don't see that going anywhere tbh.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Yeah, I would cover it up with electrical tape or something if I had a PS4...that is exactly the type of thing that would annoy me :P

There is no logical or technical reason why the light must remain on 100% of the time besides bad architecture/planning.

PS4 is smart enough to know when PSEye or Morpheus is in use. It should intelligently know when to turn light on/off.

Granted, most have made a bigger issue out of this than it really is, the simple fact is Sony made a poor design decision.

light doesn't bother me,

if they can get morhpeous up and running ir should give the PS4 some good hype in the mainstream media,they like to talk about that sort of shite

Above & Beyond