By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Effects, Love em or hate em.

Most hated effect?

Chromatic aberration 35 21.47%

Motion blur 39 23.93%

Bokeh depth of field 9 5.52%

Bloom 15 9.20%

HDR 2 1.23%

God rays 7 4.29%

Lens flare 12 7.36%

Dirty lens 16 9.82%

Film grain 15 9.20%

CRT effects 11 6.75%

Total:161

I really don't like Motion Blur. It's just distracting to me so I always turn it off.

Around the Network

A lot of these come down to whether you think game views should be virtual windows to another world, or simulations of cameras. For 3rd person games... surely we should consider the view as a camera of sorts. First person... debatable.

My take...

Chromatic abberation:
That image you show is really horrible, but this effect is good for refractive surfaces and can add realism for sure.

Motion blur:
I think this is a good effect. It's a necessary effect to attain the realism. Of course it's overdone in a lot of cases, but for camera simulation, it will add realism.

Bokeh depth of field:
Your example image is an example of non-Bokeh. Proper bokeh is what is used in games like Killzone: Shadowfall and looks miles better. Again, this is a good thing camera simulation is the desire.

Bloom:
Realistically, should only be used for overbright situations in combination with HDR.

HDR High dynamic range lighting:
Your description here is actually just for iris adaptation simulation. HDR lighting typically describes (in graphics terms) lighting with greater than 8 bits per channel (16 bits at the lowest). This is VERY important for graphics realism.

The rest... not much to say really.

The only one I really hate is motion blur. I find it ruins immersion at best and horribly distracting to borderline unplayable at worst.

Bloom is the other effect that can be overused, but it's a useful technique in very specific circumstances. The rest I generally quite like but developers can get carried away and overuse effects to replicate cinematography. Sometimes it feels like they need to remember it's a game, not a film.

Depends how they are used.Most i actually like when done properly

I always tend to hate

Film grain
CRT effects: by CRT effects i assume you mean when things try to emulate scaliness?
ehhh just horrid

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Most hated effect? I don't hate any of these effects, how about a most loved effect? My favorite is the lens flare, I just adore that sucker.

Around the Network

I definitly dislike the Chromatic aberration. Motion blur is kinda bad aswell. I can deal with the rest.

I actually like the lighting ones like the sun rays and the bloom.

_mevildan said:
A lot of these come down to whether you think game views should be virtual windows to another world, or simulations of cameras. For 3rd person games... surely we should consider the view as a camera of sorts. First person... debatable.

My take...

Chromatic abberation:
That image you show is really horrible, but this effect is good for refractive surfaces and can add realism for sure.

Motion blur:
I think this is a good effect. It's a necessary effect to attain the realism. Of course it's overdone in a lot of cases, but for camera simulation, it will add realism.

Bokeh depth of field:
Your example image is an example of non-Bokeh. Proper bokeh is what is used in games like Killzone: Shadowfall and looks miles better. Again, this is a good thing camera simulation is the desire.

Bloom:
Realistically, should only be used for overbright situations in combination with HDR.

HDR High dynamic range lighting:
Your description here is actually just for iris adaptation simulation. HDR lighting typically describes (in graphics terms) lighting with greater than 8 bits per channel (16 bits at the lowest). This is VERY important for graphics realism.

The rest... not much to say really.

Even in 3rd person it's more immersive to me imagining I'm there to watch what happens, not that I'm looking through a viewfinder while filming the action. I prefer 1st person for immersion, kinda ignore the person walking in front of me in 3rd person action games.

Chromatic Aberration can add realism for sunlight hitting and reflecting of water, but I haven't seen it used that way yet. The full screen effect is usually done as some kind of full screen distortion, more similar to a crt projector's beams going out of alignment than anything realistic.

Motion blur doesn't add realism, cameras can get rid of it too with high speed shutters. Which looks really weird when filming helicopter blades, but the rest looks fine. For rotational elements, sure that's a limitation for humans as well, anything not moving fast enough to follow with your eyes shouldn't blur.

And yes HDR 16 bit rendering or more adds a lot and makes it a lot more realistic. However games always forget the last step, which is scaling the final image down for proper viewing on an 8 bit display, which is what HDR photography does. Instead It will simply take a threshold and make anything black below and white above. Or at least they could scale it down to a more realistic range for the human eye.

I don't mind bloom too much, but chromatic abberation and motion blur are easily the most annoying effects! Fuck them!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

LemonSlice said:

Most hated effect? I don't hate any of these effects, how about a most loved effect? My favorite is the lens flare, I just adore that sucker.

It's you fault then we have to live with this, Drive club:

At least you can change the time of day in drive club.

Dirty lens pisses me off. I've seen the rest done well and terribly, so I'm neutral on those.

I am the Playstation Avenger.