By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Effects, Love em or hate em.

Most hated effect?

Chromatic aberration 35 21.47%

Motion blur 39 23.93%

Bokeh depth of field 9 5.52%

Bloom 15 9.20%

HDR 2 1.23%

God rays 7 4.29%

Lens flare 12 7.36%

Dirty lens 16 9.82%

Film grain 15 9.20%

CRT effects 11 6.75%

Total:161
JoeTheBro said:
No problem with god rays and other volumetric lights. They're often over used, but they are part of the scene. Everything else you listed however is caused by observation of the scene. With a different observer (ie human verse camera) these effects change. These are just a matter of taste.

Personally I love it all.

God rays outside aren't that bad, although in motion they can become messy. If done right it is nice. However every building you go into is apparently extremely dusty with light shafts penetrating from every little hole and window. Even in space, in a vacuum, the light shafts don't stop!

Looks like Unity3D is taking it another step further

Why not focus on some realistic light shafts

Atmospheric effects help with realism and immersion. Heat shimmer, dust particles floating in the air, drifting fog, visible breath in cold scenes. What developers often forget is that less is more. Keep it to a minimum, make it look natural. The best effects are those that you're hardly aware of.

Around the Network

Film grain is terrible. The rest I have absolutlely no problem with.

Film grain or bloom.

I thought the dirty lens in ZombiU fit the atmosphere really well. Motion blur in games like Extreme G when you super boost is kinda cool too.

Blue horizontal lens flares make me angry.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I don't really have a problem with most of them, but find film grain and horizontal lens flares beyond annoying.

Around the Network

Any effect that tries to make a game look 'cinematic' for no good reason. Motion blur is my most hated by far though.

motion blur, depth of field and any kind of screen obscuring when you get hit is taking the cake for me

what is this obession with not letting me see the game? are devs that ashamed of what they have created?

I like God Rays in almost every game Sure the amount of times you see it in some games is not realistic but I don't want to have a video game which looks 100% like the reality, I want that they put stuff in it which is only possible in games.

Most other stuff you have in the list can be annoying from time to time but most of the time it is good. 

I mean, to me "realistic" doesn't mean that even the boring stuff of the real world should be simulated accurately if you can make it more interesting in a game. That's why I also like the colourful Forza games. Most complain about it but I'm happy that they touch colours little bit up instead of thinking "real life isn't so colourful so that we should have less colours"

love: god rays, HDR, lens flares
hate: depth of field, (too much) motion blur, film grain, CRT effects
depends of the use in the game: the rest

I think Bloom and Film Grain are my 2 most hated effects. Makes no sense, bloom is never handled naturally, its always way too eye piercing.
And film grain is just.... awful....

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)