By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - DriveClub’s upgrade program is anti-consumer and a slap in the face to PS4 fans #NoExcuse

Driveclub, What to do?

a) https://twitter.com/yosp; Ask Yoshida 49 56.98%

b) become hypocrite; Defe... 7 8.14%

c) do nothing, (followed ... 10 11.63%

d) be ignorant; get explo... 17 19.77%

Total:83
Porcupeth said:
smroadkill15 said:
That really is a crappy purchase model that Ps4 owners should protest against. If Driveclub gets away with it, what's stopping Sony from doing it with other games? This is a form of DRM if you think about. If your internet goes out, there is no way to play the game you payed for.

Can people not read?

How is this so hard to understand? I already summed it up a few pages back, it's exactly like I said. It's an option on top of the usual ways of buying the game. Normally there are 2, here there are 3, including those traditional 2.

If you were to buy this game does that mean you'll be buying the PS+ version? 

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Since the game is available on disc then the only part that I see as bad is that millions will buy the game without realizing the PS+ tie in to the digital version.

But since this is a game that requires online gameplay to really be of any use and online gameplay in itself requires PS+... what is the bad thing here again?

Millions seems too high. You can buy the full game digitally for $60, completely ignoring the PS Plus deal. And there might very well be a disclaimer when upgrading the PS Plus that tells you that the upgraded version will be tied to PS Plus.

Honestly the number of people doing this unknowingly and then actually being negatively affected by this, because their subscription runs out while they're still playing is probably going to be ridiculously small.

Nice job OP for shining a light on the delicious double standard many consumers have.

DerNebel said:
superchunk said:
Since the game is available on disc then the only part that I see as bad is that millions will buy the game without realizing the PS+ tie in to the digital version.

But since this is a game that requires online gameplay to really be of any use and online gameplay in itself requires PS+... what is the bad thing here again?

Millions seems too high. You can buy the full game digitally for $60, completely ignoring the PS Plus deal. And there might very well be a disclaimer when upgrading the PS Plus that tells you that the upgraded version will be tied to PS Plus.

Honestly the number of people doing this unknowingly and then actually being negatively affected by this, because their subscription runs out while they're still playing is probably going to be ridiculously small.

But does that make it ok? You could apply the same logic to justify the Pre-180 XB1 that the whole internet was up in arms over.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Sony has shown time and time again that they will listen to consumers. The issue is nobody, at least here, is taking offense with it. And if the informed gamers of VGChartz don't see the problem with it, how in the hell are the less informed going to know the difference?

That makes no sense.

I have a problem with it.  I'm not outraged or anything but I do think this is a poorly thought out 'upgrade path'.  

Because of this thread, I looked it up on the EU Playstation Blog and it seems offical.  Many of the people were complaining about EVERYTHING, as usual, though I have no problem with the PS+ Edition being 1/5th the content of the full game.  That's fine with me, the game obviously cost a lot of money to make, it shouldn't be free.  However, paying $50 for an upgrade that goes away if you stop paying for PS+ is a bad thing.  Better they never offered an upgrade path at all.  It's simply a bad deal.  It's bad for the consumer and it looks really bad from a PR standpoint.

I hope they reconsider.

Around the Network

And why in the world would anyone stop playing for PS+ and still want to keep a game thats basically designed to be played online ? pppl rant too much about how PS+ is just letting you rent games and all this crap. So what ? It ofers super great deals, youre saving 10 bucks and the whole cant play the game if you dont have PS+ is a non issue cause you arent going to not have PS+.

smroadkill15 said:
Porcupeth said:
smroadkill15 said:
That really is a crappy purchase model that Ps4 owners should protest against. If Driveclub gets away with it, what's stopping Sony from doing it with other games? This is a form of DRM if you think about. If your internet goes out, there is no way to play the game you payed for.

Can people not read?

How is this so hard to understand? I already summed it up a few pages back, it's exactly like I said. It's an option on top of the usual ways of buying the game. Normally there are 2, here there are 3, including those traditional 2.

If you were to buy this game does that mean you'll be buying the PS+ version? 

Look, it's like this. If you have a PS+ sub, you can download the PS+ edition "for free". You can then do 1 of 3 things.

1 - You keep playing the "free" PS+ edition as long as you have a PS+ sub. Limited content, but "free".

2 - You can upgrade to the full content version, by paying 50 bucks instead of 60, but you'll need a PS+ to keep access to it

3 - You can buy the full game, whether it's digital or retail, and play it whenever you want, offline, online, whatever..with all the content. Just like you'd do with any game. And with no need for a PS+ sub.

Who would own a PS4 and not have plus in all seriousness?  But even so, This totally sounds like a mistake...I wonder if Sony will step in and correct it?

DerNebel said:

Don't buy the game that way, simple as that, there is literally nothing standing in your way of getting the game without this whole PS Plus deal.

If this upgrade thing isn't successful for Sony then they won't try it again.

Also giving people an option is not anti-consumer.

I would say it is anti-consumer. Many of the PS+subscribers, most probably, has no clue about this and will think "hey, a cheaper version of the game." It's trickery, and I'm not fond of it.

As far as I know anytime you purchase a full game discounted on PS+ you have always been able to keep it after plus. I am betting this is a mistake.