By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

OT the OP's opinion is very...opinionted and borders on trying to present as fact. Im going to assume thats not the case, but the reception and numbers speak for themselves, so like it or not y'all in the minority...inlcuding me. I never had an issue with the pad from the first time I used it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

isnt the 3ds on track to outsell GBA? or am I wrong on that?

I don't think it is. IIRC the GBA had sold about 60m units when the DS launched, that's a timeframe of about three years and eight months. So the 3DS has to sell at least 15m units between now and November to keep pace and that's not going to happen.

oh ok, well...damn thats a hell of a drop from DS

BeElite said:
travis said:
BeElite said:

Not to some.

Its clunky to wide apart, looking at tv then down and up gets annoying fast. The screen quality on it is weak, especially given what we are used to on cell phones. Its battery life is anemic.

Comes of as a convoluted idea that was never truly though out. It has added nothing to my gaming while it was forced on me, id have much preferred a cheaper Wiiu with a pro controller as an option.

You cant even buy one as a second controller screams of them not knowing what exactly is the pointy of it.

Simply it was unnecessary, and have yet to see a game that justifies its existence.

I couln't disagree more with that last sentence. Did you:

a) try Nintendoland?

b) had friends to play with?

This is as much of a blast to play that it was with wii sport when the wii came out.

a no

b single player gamer here, just does not work for me.  pro controller would be so much better for my lay and play techniques. 

Yahh and no pad is no wiimote and no game is to it as sports was to wiimote. 

So there might be no game that justify gamepad for your personal taste yet, but it is simply wrong to say that there doesn't exist any game that justify the gamepad in a broader sens so far. Does Nintendo should include the gamepad in more single player experience? Of course! Has Nintendo fail to deliver a single game that proove the benefit that the gamepad can bring? No, I simply can't agree here. Should Nintendo release more games doing a better usage of the gamepad? Of course as well.

RolStoppable said:

What you and a lot of other Nintendo fans need to grasp is that the Wii could absorb GameCube DNA without its death sentence being signed immediately. It doesn't and can't work vice versa. Therefore it comes down to a simple choice for Nintendo fans: You either support the Wii direction (and secure a future for the games you like) or you desperately try to think of a workaround, so that Nintendo doesn't have to make a Wii. But no matter what, the latter will always result in failure.

That unhealthy love for the Wii U and 3DS makes people believe that there's no space in the market anymore for a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo handheld, but all those two failures mean is that the GameCube DNA will never work. Yes, the 3DS is full of GC DNA, in case you haven't noticed. Nintendo can easily make more home consoles and handhelds, they just have to make sure that the hardware doesn't suck so hard that it drags everything down with it. When you look at Nintendo's updated shipments for Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros. 2, those two games have barely moved during the last year. This shows that the people who buy the 3DS are those who embrace Nintendo's N64/GC ways, and the only reason why the 3DS doesn't sell as low as the two aforementioned home consoles is that it doesn't face a PS1/PS2. If the 3DS reached the usual Nintendo handheld audience, then its "evergreens" would be actual evergreens.

I already agreed with you in our last big discussion that Nintendo needs a Wii2... a low cost machine with 1st party first.

However, that doesn't negate the point of my thread that the gamepad is a very good controller. Of course its cost of materials ensures Nintendo can't have a low cost machine, but that can be changed over time and/or by splitting that functionality into a portable console that can seamlessly connect to a low cost home console in the hybrid type of device I've casually talked about earlier.

Again, I agree. Nintendo needs to walk away from catering to any 3rd parties or "core" gamers. They need to remain on the low cost, high quality, first party centric path.

travis said:

So there might be no game that justify gamepad for your personal taste yet, but it is simply wrong to say that there doesn't exist any game that justify the gamepad in a broader sens so far. Does Nintendo should include the gamepad in more single player experience? Of course! Has Nintendo fail to deliver a single game that proove the benefit that the gamepad can bring? No, I simply can't agree here. Should Nintendo release more games doing a better usage of the gamepad? Of course as well.

No game justifies it no matter what you may may want to beleive, if it did wiiu likely be salling better.  Market does not get nor see a point for the pad, there is no game that screams omg you must try it with the pad as WiiPorts did with the wiimote. 

Honestly the pad is near as pointless as sixaxis was, sure it worked well for a game or two but thats it.  Pad has no game that must be playes with pad or else it sucks.  Currently i see the pad as i see the kinex, just forced add on thats pointless to my gaming. 

There is no of course, there is look at reality whats came out already.  You see things all pro ninty with hope, im realistic i look at what they have done with the pad already and expect no games will come out that better use it.

Around the Network

tbh if it was significantly more powerful than a ps3 and 360, more people would have 'upgraded'.
But in its current state, people would be spending money on a console which they cant even call an 'upgrade'. Even the vast majority of the wii audience couldnt because they dont care about tech specs. They think going from wii motion controls to a tablet is a downgrade.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Since software sells hardware

Then explain the success of the PS4. What system-selling software does it have? Besides PS3 ports I mean.

Love and tolerate.

superchunk said:
RolStoppable said:

What you and a lot of other Nintendo fans need to grasp is that the Wii could absorb GameCube DNA without its death sentence being signed immediately. It doesn't and can't work vice versa. Therefore it comes down to a simple choice for Nintendo fans: You either support the Wii direction (and secure a future for the games you like) or you desperately try to think of a workaround, so that Nintendo doesn't have to make a Wii. But no matter what, the latter will always result in failure.

That unhealthy love for the Wii U and 3DS makes people believe that there's no space in the market anymore for a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo handheld, but all those two failures mean is that the GameCube DNA will never work. Yes, the 3DS is full of GC DNA, in case you haven't noticed. Nintendo can easily make more home consoles and handhelds, they just have to make sure that the hardware doesn't suck so hard that it drags everything down with it. When you look at Nintendo's updated shipments for Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros. 2, those two games have barely moved during the last year. This shows that the people who buy the 3DS are those who embrace Nintendo's N64/GC ways, and the only reason why the 3DS doesn't sell as low as the two aforementioned home consoles is that it doesn't face a PS1/PS2. If the 3DS reached the usual Nintendo handheld audience, then its "evergreens" would be actual evergreens.

I already agreed with you in our last big discussion that Nintendo needs a Wii2... a low cost machine with 1st party first.

However, that doesn't negate the point of my thread that the gamepad is a very good controller. Of course its cost of materials ensures Nintendo can't have a low cost machine, but that can be changed over time and/or by splitting that functionality into a portable console that can seamlessly connect to a low cost home console in the hybrid type of device I've casually talked about earlier.

Again, I agree. Nintendo needs to walk away from catering to any 3rd parties or "core" gamers. They need to remain on the low cost, high quality, first party centric path.

isnt that what they essentially did with GC and a lesser extent N64? Those didnt turn out too hot either.

Salnax said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Since software sells hardware

Then explain the success of the PS4. What system-selling software does it have? Besides PS3 ports I mean.

PS4 is a system people actually seem to want.

oniyide said:
superchunk said:

isnt that what they essentially did with GC and a lesser extent N64? Those didnt turn out too hot either.

No,. N64/GC were traditional consoles that attempted to have great hardware, strong 3rd party support etc.

Wii was where they didn't push specs and focused on first party first. Assumed 3rd parties would be logical and support Wii when it proved itself.

Then WiiU was thinking well we now have a large userbase, so now we return to focus on core and 3rd party. That failed... again.

I'm deliberately not going into a lot of detail here... Rol has preached this since day one and I finally jumped on board kicking and screaming out of selfish reasons.