By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

Salnax said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Since software sells hardware

Then explain the success of the PS4. What system-selling software does it have? Besides PS3 ports I mean.

For the time being, that's riding on the sure promise of software. Something Nintendo failed to give with the WiiU.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Skidonti said:

It also probably wouldn't sell. The Wii crowd doesn't need to pay $250 for a Wii when they have a Wii already. The visuals wouldn't impress them the way motion control did.

Why do many of you continue to assume that the casual crowd wouldn't buy an upgraded Wii? Software is key. New IPs make a difference.

Hardware was key for Wii more than software.  Maybe DS too, at first.
Pretty much, Wii Sports allowed people to play the Wii more than the Wii allowed people to play Wii Sports.

oniyide said:
Salnax said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Then explain the success of the PS4. What system-selling software does it have? Besides PS3 ports I mean.

PS4 is a system people actually seem to want.

But that's what I don't understand! Why do people want a PS4?

Is it simply because it's $100 cheaper than the Xbone? Is the latest Dualshock controller that comfy? Was the holy grail to console design always to italicize them?

Starting with the NES, the most popular consoles, and even less popular consoles that found niches, did so because of big, exciting games that could not be done on older hardware. The main exceptions were things like the Wii, which were less powerful but because of their control scheme did something new and exciting.

Of the Top 10 selling PS4 games, 7 can also be played on the PS3.

So why is it that people want a PS4, if it offers nothing new, is more expensive than the Wii U, lacks backwards compatibility, etc?

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

Is it simply because it's $100 cheaper than the Xbone? Is the latest Dualshock controller that comfy? Was the holy grail to console design always to italicize them?

Starting with the NES, the most popular consoles, and even less popular consoles that found niches, did so because of big, exciting games that could not be done on older hardware. The main exceptions were things like the Wii, which were less powerful but because of their control scheme did something new and exciting.

So why is it that people want a PS4, if it offers nothing new, is more expensive than the Wii U, lacks backwards compatibility, etc?

For the core gamer, it has a higher promise of gaming than WiiU while doing everything the XBO can ... better.

For the normal gamer... they are buying PS3s currently and/or waiting for price cuts.

Perception worldwide is WiiU is dead and not worthy. XBO is a costly waste of space. PS4 is the only real option. So if $400 is too much now, they'll largely keep PS360 until its $300, etc. XBO only chance is to dump kinect and reach price parity.

The Wii U's problem is not and never was the gamepad. It's that the console itself was ill-timed, didn't have a good title set at launch for what it was trying to do, and is now overshadowed by the PS4 and X1.

Everything EXCEPT the gamepad went wrong.

Around the Network
Egann said:
The Wii U's problem is not and never was the gamepad. It's that the console itself was ill-timed, didn't have a good title set at launch for what it was trying to do, and is now overshadowed by the PS4 and X1.

YEP! but too many people focus on gamepad and think tossing it out will allow wiiu to rebound... clearly missing the point of why its failing.

Salnax said:

I'm with you Sal. I created an entire thread dedicated to this question.

Salnax said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

It does of course have Killzone, inFamous, Rezogun, Knack (lol) etc (as well as all that good publicity from having the better version of multi-plats), but i do agree it's not really worth the cost right now. What it does have though is the PS brand, which has delivered on peoples expectations of content, value and quality for 20 years.

In essence, right now the PS4 is a decent system that comes with the promises met by its predecessors. Nintendo have that same core market brand power, but they lack the general markets faith (those who primarily play 3rd party games, which is the large majority of gamers). That's been the primary difference between the two thus far.

superchunk said:
Egann said:

YEP! but too many people focus on gamepad and think tossing it out will allow wiiu to rebound... clearly missing the point of why its failing.

I have to agree. The WiiU may be failing, but it's certainly not the gamepads fault. I personally can't say i'm overly fond of it, but i can understand why others are.

BeElite said:
travis said:

So there might be no game that justify gamepad for your personal taste yet, but it is simply wrong to say that there doesn't exist any game that justify the gamepad in a broader sens so far. Does Nintendo should include the gamepad in more single player experience? Of course! Has Nintendo fail to deliver a single game that proove the benefit that the gamepad can bring? No, I simply can't agree here. Should Nintendo release more games doing a better usage of the gamepad? Of course as well.

No game justifies it no matter what you may may want to beleive, if it did wiiu likely be salling better.  Market does not get nor see a point for the pad, there is no game that screams omg you must try it with the pad as WiiPorts did with the wiimote. 

Honestly the pad is near as pointless as sixaxis was, sure it worked well for a game or two but thats it.  Pad has no game that must be playes with pad or else it sucks.  Currently i see the pad as i see the kinex, just forced add on thats pointless to my gaming. 

There is no of course, there is look at reality whats came out already.  You see things all pro ninty with hope, im realistic i look at what they have done with the pad already and expect no games will come out that better use it.

Your statement was: "Simply it was unnecessary, and have yet to see a game that justifies its existence". It wasn't about wheter a game justify the purchase of the whole system, it was about wheter a game use the gamepad in a way that makes it relevant. Nintendoland does and Zombie U does.