By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

oniyide said:
Never said:
KylieDog said:
Never said:
KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

What great new features does it add to Donkey Kong TP?

That I can play pretty much anywhere in my house, even while pooping.

That is not a gameplay feature, which my OP stated.  The fact you're resorting to such defenses makes my original statement correct, failed gimmick, doesn't add to gaming like was promised and just ups the entry price to WiiU.

Solid truth: Nintendo didn't even bother using it for DKC TP.    For MK8, they will barely use it, a horn or a map, something every other racing game already does and which coud be a controller button or just on the screen, where it would be better honestly since no looking away from TV for it.

My big question is:  SInce even Nintendo aren't bothering to make use and defend the Gamepad, why are some Ninty fans.

Of course they shouldn't use the touchscreen for every game. They should use it where it enhances gameplay, not simply force touchscreen gimmicks into ever game. That doesnt make it a bad idea or mean there hasn't been many games that take good advantage of the gamepad.

Wii U games I own that make good use of the touchscreen include: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, AC3, Nintendo Land, Windwaker HD, Trine 2, Baman Arkham City, Rayman Legends, Rush.
Wii U games I own that DON'T make good use of the touchscreen (Other than off tv mode) include: Super Mario 3d World, Stick it to man, DKTF, Castlestorm, NES Remix 1 &2, Bit trip runner 2, Nano Assault Neo.

The W101 had ok touch screen support but I perfered using the second joystick.

Bearing in mind I only want touchscreen controls where it enhances gameplay the ratio seems fine.

The fact that all but two of the 'good use' games feature versions on other platforms where the games played perfectly fine with no isues just further proves why the Gamepad is a waste and is not needed.

The fact that the wii u versions are the definitive versions of all those games show that it does enhance gameplay.

really hard to call AC3 and Splinter Cell definitive versions when they are missing features. Hell even Batman runs a bit worse on WIi U framerate wise.

None of the issues were are relivant to the gamepad.

Wii U Splintercell is regarded by many as the difinitive version though personally I would have liked the local coop.
Batman was clearly the difinitive version to my mind. The framerate issues were minor and more than made up for by the great gamepad support.
Ac3 gamepad support was basic (And arguably messy) but it still added a lot to the gameplay. The removal of some minor graphical effects arn't close to being a deal breaker to my mind except (Like with batman) it reflects badly on the power and the hardware and the effort put into the port. Neither of which were debating.
Trine 2 on Wii U was clearly the best version and I speak as someone who also owns trine 2 complet story. The game was ideally suited to the gamepad. The ability to draw items into existance on the gamepad and manipulate them with your finger made the game feel designed for the hardware. 

Around the Network

O was

bouzane said:
It's simply not worth the investment. That doesn't mean that it isn't great for playing games, it just isn't a wise business strategy.

Neither is The DS & Wii & 3DS.

And look what that got us, the Smartphones & Tablets we have today, plus 3D Movies doing the inward effect instead of that pop-out gimmick they did in older 3D movies less then 5 years.

Kaizar said:

O was

bouzane said:
It's simply not worth the investment. That doesn't mean that it isn't great for playing games, it just isn't a wise business strategy.

And look what that got us, the Smartphones & Tablets we have today, plus 3D Movies doing the inward effect instead of that pop-out gimmick they did in older 3D movies less then 5 years.

Despite the fact that the WiiMote is a dead trend and 3D isn't exactly taking the world by storm they are at least cheap to produce. This is more than can be said about the WiiU gamepad. It is simply too expensive and seeing that Sony didn't s**t the bed with the PS4 like they did with its predecessor Nintendo needs to be able to capitalize on far lower prices to remain competitive. They are unable to do so because of the gamepad so my point still stands. It was simply a poor investment.

bouzane said:
Kaizar said:

O was

bouzane said:

Despite the fact that the WiiMote is a dead trend and 3D isn't exactly taking the world by storm they are at least cheap to produce. This is more than can be said about the WiiU gamepad. It is simply too expensive and seeing that Sony didn't s**t the bed with the PS4 like they did with its predecessor Nintendo needs to be able to capitalize on far lower prices to remain competitive. They are unable to do so because of the gamepad so my point still stands. It was simply a poor investment.

For the record about 3D:

The 3DS is selling about as much each week as the PS4.

3D TVs have always sold better then HD TVs during same point in life spam, even with increase in price these past 2 to 3 years for any 3D TV. And the Year on Year sales are still up every year.

More then most people choose 3D screenings over 2D screenings (especially outside of America). Just look at Avatar in 2010 making 70% of its profit from 3D screenings in America, but then Gravity in 2013 hit 80% in America for 3D screenings. But 3D screenings always get 88% in all other Countries combine for non-USA screenings.

If anything, no one is buying HD from TVs to caring to go to theaters for HD to buying PS3/360 over Wii. The PS3 sold to 30 to 50 million different individuals, and so did the 360, but the Wii sold to 100 million different households, which is one system per several individuals.

HD has always been a pure marketing adverstising branding thing that couldn't sell that well. I mean there's a 50 year gap between color TVs release and HD TVs release, but 3D TVs had only a several year gap between them and HD TVs.

MikeRox said:
Kaizar said:
rolltide101x said:

Wii U screen is nowhere near in the same ballpark as the OLED Screen of the Vita. The Wii U gamepad is a bottom of the line LCD without question. But its scren is still good enough. I can not complain with everything it does well but to compare it to the PSVita screen..... LOL ROFL

The PS Vita has an LCD screen, unless you got one of those old PS Vita's, LOL but true.

Most gamers just don't seem to care about OLED & HD, but do care about touch & motion & 3D. The sales speak.

The LCD on the Wii U pad is massively inferior to the LCD on the slim Vita. OLED is just incomparable. I actually hate the image quality on the Wii U pad though quite a bit of it is compression artifacts.

It also costs $300 for the vita alone... Sooo.... 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
MikeRox said:
Kaizar said:
rolltide101x said:

Wii U screen is nowhere near in the same ballpark as the OLED Screen of the Vita. The Wii U gamepad is a bottom of the line LCD without question. But its scren is still good enough. I can not complain with everything it does well but to compare it to the PSVita screen..... LOL ROFL

The PS Vita has an LCD screen, unless you got one of those old PS Vita's, LOL but true.

Most gamers just don't seem to care about OLED & HD, but do care about touch & motion & 3D. The sales speak.

The LCD on the Wii U pad is massively inferior to the LCD on the slim Vita. OLED is just incomparable. I actually hate the image quality on the Wii U pad though quite a bit of it is compression artifacts.

Where are you shopping for your Vita? they're $200 with a game and memory card. or you can find an OLED model for £150-£170 in the UK with 10 games and a memory card. It's not 2012 anymore :p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
bigtakilla said:
MikeRox said:
Kaizar said:
rolltide101x said:

Where are you shopping for your Vita? they're $200 with a game and memory card. or you can find an OLED model for £150-£170 in the UK with 10 games and a memory card. It's not 2012 anymore :p

Still, I'd rather pay the extra $$$ get the console experience with games like Mario Kart 8 and 3D World and sit back and wait for Bayonetta and Monolith Soft X. If I were gonna get a handheld, the 3DS offers a way more massive library for the same cost.

Kaizar said:
bouzane said:
Kaizar said:

O was

bouzane said:

For the record about 3D:

3D TVs have always sold better then HD TVs during same point in life spam, even with increase in price these past 2 to 3 years for any 3D TV. And the Year on Year sales are still up every year.

More then most people choose 3D screenings over 2D screenings (especially outside of America). Just look at Avatar in 2010 making 70% of its profit from 3D screenings in America, but then Gravity in 2013 hit 80% in America for 3D screenings. But 3D screenings always get 88% in all other Countries combine for non-USA screenings.

If anything, no one is buying HD from TVs to caring to go to theaters for HD to buying PS3/360 over Wii. The PS3 sold to 30 to 50 million different individuals, and so did the 360, but the Wii sold to 100 million different households, which is one system per several individuals.

HD has always been a pure marketing adverstising branding thing that couldn't sell that well. I mean there's a 50 year gap between color TVs release and HD TVs release, but 3D TVs had only a several year gap between them and HD TVs.

The 3DS is also tracking so far behind the original DS that it will be lucky to sell half as many units over its lifetime. Also, your statement that the PS3 only sold to 30 to 50 million individuals is so asinine I had to do a double take. Do you actually believe this to be true? Again, the gamepad was a terrible investment. If your console is going to do a terrible job with multi-platform games it should at least be cheap.

bouzane said:
Kaizar said:

For the record about 3D:

The 3DS is also tracking so far behind the original DS that it will be lucky to sell half as many units over its lifetime. Also, your statement that the PS3 only sold to 30 to 50 million individuals is so asinine I had to do a double take. Do you actually believe this to be true? Again, the gamepad was a terrible investment. If your console is going to do a terrible job with multi-platform games it should at least be cheap.

The PS3 & 360 broke down on people a number of times per every other time.

There were other people who constantly bought a new one for more internal memory.

And up to 1% of owners max, had bought a ton of them to try to create a emulator and/or try to do something else with it. Let's say 0.01% or much lesser.

The PS4 & X1 doesn't suffer from these problems. Well, a few people still had their PS4 or X1 broke, but very few. Plus 500 GB toke care of the internal memory problem, so a lot of consumers could just buy one in the first year of release.

I that I think of it, Nintendo should someday release a 500 GB model of the Wii U in 2015 or 2016, since they clearly won't do it this year.