By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

super_etecoon said:

hmmm...I'll have to measure later on.  At work right now.  It might be a fun idea for a thread/poll, but I assume we'd all end up with the same measurements.  Unless...there is a special setting.  Ha.  

Well, there will be variances on other areas of interference that are particular to each person's environment.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
First off, I don't own a Wii U so you may discredit the following as unenlightened if you so choose.

With that out of the way........
I feel like the gamepad would be a amazing if it was basically a stand alone device. Basically a gaming tablet, without the need for the console somewhere about powering the games. Because the gamepad actually is very very light and comfortable so I feel like it would make an absolutely outstanding core mobile gaming platform. I'd much sooner but that than a Vita or Nvidea Shield or whatever they're called. As a controller for games meant to be played on the TV though......meh

But that's just my 2 cents

But you can boot it up and play most games as if it was a handheld device. No tv needed. But you have the option to turn the tv on and play big screen and local multiplayer. It's win win.

The gamepad's great. The only crit I think it really deserves about the battery life. It can be fixed with the official extended battery but out of the box it's a shortcoming.

I'm torn on digital triggers. It would have been to cut cost but, although it might affect ports of some games and analogue triggers are nice for racing games, I like the feel of the digital triggers. It's nice binary click.

Angelus said:
First off, I don't own a Wii U so you may discredit the following as unenlightened if you so choose.

With that out of the way........
I feel like the gamepad would be a amazing if it was basically a stand alone device. Basically a gaming tablet, without the need for the console somewhere about powering the games. Because the gamepad actually is very very light and comfortable so I feel like it would make an absolutely outstanding core mobile gaming platform. I'd much sooner but that than a Vita or Nvidea Shield or whatever they're called. As a controller for games meant to be played on the TV though......meh

But that's just my 2 cents

*plays Batman Arkham City definitive version & ZombiU & Darksiders 2 & Ninja Castle & etc.*

Nope, the GamePad controller is the best way to play Western games hands down.

GamePad FTW.

You know, even though I haven't tried it, I actually like the idea of off TV play and I know I will eventually buy a Wii U.

But I don't agree with the idea that, had Nintendo put those resources into more power instead of the Gamepad the output would have been the same.

The way I see it is that the Wii U launched in a moment when core gamers were already eager for more power (let's face it, most gamers just need to have more power on paper even if they are not going to use it). So if Nintendo had released a 3 or 4 times more powerfull console than the PS360, and had had a least two games to prove it (they didn't even had to be good in quality, look at Snack, Ryse and Killzone for reference) they would had capitalized on that need for vanity in a moment when Sony and Microsoft where not there for the battle. But anyways, this is all theory and I guess we'll never know.

PS: please forgive my grammar, English is not my first language.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
super_etecoon said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

What great new features does it add to Donkey Kong TP?

That I can play pretty much anywhere in my house, even while pooping.

Think I need to get a smaller house.

I can't move my gamepad out of my livingroom.  :/

And, as I mentioned in another post, light up buttons would be nice...especially when I'm trying to use the TV button.  The glare off the screen keeps me from seeing anything on the pad when I have the lights off.  Not a deal breaker, but it would have been nice.

Something is wrong with your setup. I have a ~2000 sqft house. I can go anywhere downstairs and anywhere upstairs that is over the living room area. In this case it includes my bedroom. Play in bed. :)

I pretty much only play in off-tv mode. So meh. Works great and I absolutely love the feature. I think its more important for those of us with families where WiiU is connected to main TV that is also in use for other people/things.

Yeah that is bull. lol. It works about 1 room over at the most

BuckStud said:
Turkish said:
I used it in the store and thought it was really annoying, hate looking down for a minimap or the like when Im playing on the big screen. It feels nice in the hands but the lcd is of bad quality if you've helt a 5" smartphone or Vita in your hands. Also I dont like its short battery life and its ac adapter instead of usb charging.

I had my Game Pad, OLED Vita and iPad Air all next to each other.  The Game Pad screen can hold it's own very well.  Don't let the lower resolution fool you and don't judge it without seeing them side by side in your favorite gaming area.  By the way, both Call of Dutys' for the Wii U look far better on the Game Pad than COD BOD on the Vita.

As for me, I've never hated on something that I haven't owed.

Wii U screen is nowhere near in the same ballpark as the OLED Screen of the Vita. The Wii U gamepad is a bottom of the line LCD without question. But its scren is still good enough. I can not complain with everything it does well but to compare it to the PSVita screen..... LOL ROFL

travis said:
BeElite said:

Not to some.

Its clunky to wide apart, looking at tv then down and up gets annoying fast. The screen quality on it is weak, especially given what we are used to on cell phones. Its battery life is anemic.

Comes of as a convoluted idea that was never truly though out. It has added nothing to my gaming while it was forced on me, id have much preferred a cheaper Wiiu with a pro controller as an option.

You cant even buy one as a second controller screams of them not knowing what exactly is the pointy of it.

Simply it was unnecessary, and have yet to see a game that justifies its existence.

I couln't disagree more with that last sentence. Did you:

a) try Nintendoland?

b) had friends to play with?

This is as much of a blast to play that it was with wii sport when the wii came out.

Wii Party U makes the gamepad even more exciting. The water game is awesome!

Wii Us biggest problem for PS360 owners is that the console is not an upgrade. Its more like a side step. You could even consider it a downgrade when you consider that it will never have half of the games the ps360 has.

If the console were more powerful it would get to share its games with xbone and PS4 so more 3rd party support. The controller is what is dooming the U. It prevented the console from being more powerful.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

chakkra said:

You know, even though I haven't tried it, I actually like the idea of off TV play and I know I will eventually buy a Wii U.

But I don't agree with the idea that, had Nintendo put those resources into more power instead of the Gamepad the output would have been the same.

The way I see it is that the Wii U launched in a moment when core gamers were already eager for more power (let's face it, most gamers just need to have more power on paper even if they are not going to use it). So if Nintendo had released a 3 or 4 times more powerfull console than the PS360, and had had a least two games to prove it (they didn't even had to be good in quality, look at Snack, Ryse and Killzone for reference) they would had capitalized on that need for vanity in a moment when Sony and Microsoft where not there for the battle. But anyways, this is all theory and I guess we'll never know.

PS: please forgive my grammar, English is not my first language.

Well you did pretty damn good. I never would have thought so. Your post is very readable in my opinion. Obviously its not essay, report quality but whos is on the internet?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st