By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

What great new features does it add to Donkey Kong TP?

That I can play pretty much anywhere in my house, even while pooping.

That is not a gameplay feature, which my OP stated.  The fact you're resorting to such defenses makes my original statement correct, failed gimmick, doesn't add to gaming like was promised and just ups the entry price to WiiU.

Solid truth: Nintendo didn't even bother using it for DKC TP.    For MK8, they will barely use it, a horn or a map, something every other racing game already does and which coud be a controller button or just on the screen, where it would be better honestly since no looking away from TV for it.

My big question is:  SInce even Nintendo aren't bothering to make use and defend the Gamepad, why are some Ninty fans.

Of course they shouldn't use the touchscreen for every game. They should use it where it enhances gameplay, not simply force touchscreen gimmicks into ever game. That doesnt make it a bad idea or mean there hasn't been many games that take good advantage of the gamepad.

Wii U games I own that make good use of the touchscreen include: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, AC3, Nintendo Land, Windwaker HD, Trine 2, Baman Arkham City, Rayman Legends, Rush.
Wii U games I own that DON'T make good use of the touchscreen (Other than off tv mode) include: Super Mario 3d World, Stick it to man, DKTF, Castlestorm, NES Remix 1 &2, Bit trip runner 2, Nano Assault Neo.

The W101 had ok touch screen support but I perfered using the second joystick.

Bearing in mind I only want touchscreen controls where it enhances gameplay the ratio seems fine.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Never said:
KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

That is not a gameplay feature, which my OP stated.  The fact you're resorting to such defenses makes my original statement correct, failed gimmick, doesn't add to gaming like was promised and just ups the entry price to WiiU.

Solid truth: Nintendo didn't even bother using it for DKC TP.    For MK8, they will barely use it, a horn or a map, something every other racing game already does and which coud be a controller button or just on the screen, where it would be better honestly since no looking away from TV for it.

My big question is:  SInce even Nintendo aren't bothering to make use and defend the Gamepad, why are some Ninty fans.

Of course they shouldn't use the touchscreen for every game. They should use it where it enhances gameplay, not simply force touchscreen gimmicks into ever game. That doesnt make it a bad idea or mean there hasn't been many games that take good advantage of the gamepad.

Wii U games I own that make good use of the touchscreen include: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, AC3, Nintendo Land, Windwaker HD, Trine 2, Baman Arkham City, Rayman Legends, Rush.
Wii U games I own that DON'T make good use of the touchscreen (Other than off tv mode) include: Super Mario 3d World, Stick it to man, DKTF, Castlestorm, NES Remix 1 &2, Bit trip runner 2, Nano Assault Neo.

Bearing in mind I only want touchscreen controls where it enhances gameplay the ratio seems fine.

The fact that all but two of the 'good use' games feature versions on other platforms where the games played perfectly fine with no isues just further proves why the Gamepad is a waste and is not needed.

The fact that the wii u versions are the definitive versions of all those games show that it does enhance gameplay.

rolltide101x said:
BuckStud said:
Turkish said:
I used it in the store and thought it was really annoying, hate looking down for a minimap or the like when Im playing on the big screen. It feels nice in the hands but the lcd is of bad quality if you've helt a 5" smartphone or Vita in your hands. Also I dont like its short battery life and its ac adapter instead of usb charging.

I had my Game Pad, OLED Vita and iPad Air all next to each other.  The Game Pad screen can hold it's own very well.  Don't let the lower resolution fool you and don't judge it without seeing them side by side in your favorite gaming area.  By the way, both Call of Dutys' for the Wii U look far better on the Game Pad than COD BOD on the Vita.

As for me, I've never hated on something that I haven't owed.

Wii U screen is nowhere near in the same ballpark as the OLED Screen of the Vita. The Wii U gamepad is a bottom of the line LCD without question. But its scren is still good enough. I can not complain with everything it does well but to compare it to the PSVita screen..... LOL ROFL

The PS Vita has an LCD screen, unless you got one of those old PS Vita's, LOL but true.

Most gamers just don't seem to care about OLED & HD, but do care about touch & motion & 3D. The sales speak.

I think it's the main reason why the Wii U is doing so bad. But I have to admit... I like it either way!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

The message I quoted didn't ask for a "gameplay" feature. It asked for a "great feature". To me off-tv play is a great feature that I exclusively use.

Also, Nintendo has used the feature for gameplay in Nintendoland as well as Pikmin3, etc in providing many good UI options. Of course adding in the off-tv functionality.

Then you have the mention just this week what E3 will debut a new game that proves the gamepad in a single player functionality. Granted, that should have been there day one alongside Nintendoland, but it doesn't negate the fact that the majority of people on this thread and other similar threads that have played WiiU or own it absolutely love the controller as a controller and off-tv device alone.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
I think it's the main reason why the Wii U is doing so bad. But I have to admit... I like it either way!

The bad sales are because Nintendo relies on word of mouth. The only time you see a TV AD for a Nintendo System is when the sales are bad, and even then, only in the holiday most often.

Nintendo made the shift in trying to sell word of mouth since 2012. (bad timing for Wii U)

Never said:
KylieDog said:
Never said:
KylieDog said:
superchunk said:
KylieDog said:

The fact that all but two of the 'good use' games feature versions on other platforms where the games played perfectly fine with no isues just further proves why the Gamepad is a waste and is not needed.

The fact that the wii u versions are the definitive versions of all those games show that it does enhance gameplay.

really hard to call AC3 and Splinter Cell definitive versions when they are missing features. Hell even Batman runs a bit worse on WIi U framerate wise.

I wouldn't really say it's a fantastic idea. I mean, it's just a regular controller, only with a touchscreen on it. Considering the DS and 3DS success, it was simply the next logical step for traditional controllers.

It's simply not worth the investment. That doesn't mean that it isn't great for playing games, it just isn't a wise business strategy.

Kaizar said:
rolltide101x said:

Wii U screen is nowhere near in the same ballpark as the OLED Screen of the Vita. The Wii U gamepad is a bottom of the line LCD without question. But its scren is still good enough. I can not complain with everything it does well but to compare it to the PSVita screen..... LOL ROFL

The PS Vita has an LCD screen, unless you got one of those old PS Vita's, LOL but true.

Most gamers just don't seem to care about OLED & HD, but do care about touch & motion & 3D. The sales speak.

The LCD on the Wii U pad is massively inferior to the LCD on the slim Vita. OLED is just incomparable. I actually hate the image quality on the Wii U pad though quite a bit of it is compression artifacts.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.