By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad is a fantastic idea and gaming controller.

I definitely agree. It rather amusing to see some of the idiotic posts made by people on this forum criticizing the game pad, who probably have not even had hands on experience with it. While not necessarily in comfort or design but in functionality, the game pad is far superior to the Xbone & PS4 controller.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

my gamepad broke, had to send it in for warranty repair. Treat your gamepad VERY gingerly, the bluetooth antenna can get dislodged, and limit your distance range to about 3 feet away from the console.

I wish that all the games had the option to play with the wii remotes, I am NOT a fan of thumbsticks.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

superchunk said:

All of these posts regarding the hate for the gamepad really irk me.

Its a very good controller that matches any other configuration, very comfortable, and provides an excellent feature with off-tv play. In fact, most people I know or read about here and GAF don't even use the TV anymore unless required (rare). Its simply a better way to play.

Only problem the gamepad ever really caused was its costs in materials to the overall console. But even that is a bad argument. Had WiiU not contained a gamepad and instead had beefier specs, it would still have cost about the same.

Meaning, we'd still have a $300 console that is being sold at a loss with no 3rd party support or sales. It still wouldn't appeal to the MSony crowd that only see Nintendo as a kid company and it wouldn't be in the price range or feature/game aspect to hit the casual group again like Wii.

So.. you narrowed it down to two outcomes. Wii U or a console with beefy specs that's sold at a loss.

Why couldn't Nintendo put out Wii 2? That scenario wouldn't have supported your claims though, would it?

Wii U specs, Wii motes and no gamepad for 250 dollars wouldn't be sold at loss. 

Not to some.

Its clunky to wide apart, looking at tv then down and up gets annoying fast. The screen quality on it is weak, especially given what we are used to on cell phones. Its battery life is anemic.

Comes of as a convoluted idea that was never truly though out. It has added nothing to my gaming while it was forced on me, id have much preferred a cheaper Wiiu with a pro controller as an option.

You cant even buy one as a second controller screams of them not knowing what exactly is the pointy of it.

Simply it was unnecessary, and have yet to see a game that justifies its existence.

awesome controller.
before i put hands on it i was skecptical, after touching by first time, it impressed me a lot.
but after using it for week i notice the real potential. is now my favorite controler ever.

Around the Network
superchunk said: OP stuff

What would you say is the reason for the system severly underperforming? System power, games, price, lack of violent games, etc?

Am asking because i don't remember your take on it. Since the complex controller is a fantastic idea. Please weigh in your thoughts on the above, SC. 

I agree. It's a great, inventive controller that is unfortunately being ignored by third parties and, most cruelly, by Nintendo itself. It's comfortable, it's convenient, and it allows new gameplay opportunities and much improved local co-op. As far as I'm concerned Nintendo Land has already justified its existence, and games like Call of Duty, Skylanders, LEGO, and others have also proven it's usefulness.

superchunk said:
Turkish said:
I used it in the store and thought it was really annoying, hate looking down for a minimap or the like when Im playing on the big screen. It feels nice in the hands but the lcd is of bad quality if you've helt a 5" smartphone or Vita in your hands. Also I dont like its short battery life and its ac adapter instead of usb charging.

But you don't need to look down and up again... just play in off-tv mode. you can lounge throughout house and play from just gamepad.

but what if I dont like off tv mode and just want to play on tv

It's comical the people criticising the Wii U pad in this very thread do not own a Wii U, however the owners are all giving it praise. I agree the pad is great and I enjoy it it immensely, most notably on Rayman. I do however wish the battery was better.

I totally agree with the OP. Nintendo land, Zombi u (especially the multiplayer) and WiiU party faces picture game proove that. With more games using it, it will become legendary like every other Nintendo controlers.