By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

ps4tw said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
ps4tw said:

Why is that true for MK8 but not any of the other titles that have so far come out? Like 3D Mario? It's a false economy thinking people like Mario. They don't care - it's just one of the only handful of games on the console that isn't shovelware. 

judging by this it looks like you only like sony

but i disagree 

you need hope and confidence that nintendo will go all out on a mk8 campaign and make people pumped

(i like sony too and also nintendo)

Eh wat? I haven't mentioned Sony once...Why do I need hope and confidence about MK8? It doesn't effect me at all.  I'm saying other than Nintendo fans, most of who already own a Wii U, no one cares about Mario Karts. 

well when you got a name ps4tw

then that assumes you like sony 

and i disagree with no one likes mario kart

mk dd 7 million

mk ds 22 million

mk wii 35 million

mk 7 10 million and counting

just because you dont like mario kart doesnt mean millions of others dont like it

now im not saying its going to save the wii u but 

if it does it would be a miracle

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network
ps4tw said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
ps4tw said:

Why is that true for MK8 but not any of the other titles that have so far come out? Like 3D Mario? It's a false economy thinking people like Mario. They don't care - it's just one of the only handful of games on the console that isn't shovelware. 

but i disagree 

you need hope and confidence that nintendo will go all out on a mk8 campaign and make people pumped

Eh wat? I haven't mentioned Sony once...Why do I need hope and confidence about MK8? It doesn't effect me at all.  I'm saying other than Nintendo fans, most of who already own a Wii U, no one cares about Mario Karts. 

5.5 million (Mario Kart Super Circuit) - 34.45 million (Mario Kart Wii) people can say they care about Mario Kart.

There will be more games that give it a boost than MK8,SSB,Zelda,Maybe another 3D Mario should give it boosts to finish little over gamecube but only boost with games and xmas

TheLegendaryWolf said:
ps4tw said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
ps4tw said:

but i disagree 

5.5 million (Mario Kart Super Circuit) - 34.45 million (Mario Kart Wii) people can say they care about Mario Kart.

this pretty much proves my point even more

lowest selling mk is still really good numbers :D

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

ps4tw said:

"other than Nintendo fans, most of who already own a Wii U". just stop, no one believes that.

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Play4Fun said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
drake_tolu said:

No, i'm not, and in any case people who are on this site from 4/5 years estimated 30/40 million Wii U...

Those predictions must be 3 years old though.... from when people were under the illusion that nintendo exclusives was selling the wii, not the hardware.

Yeah, Nintendo's exclusives didn't sell the Wii.

You need to check who it is that is really disillusioned.

nope, the software only sold because the hardware got people onboard.

If nintendo software really was that compelling, the wii U wouldnt be on 6.1m.

The Wii would not have sold like it did had it not been for  mainly the Wii___ series.

All the fancy motion controls wouldn't have meant much in the beginning had it not been for WiiSports and WiiPlay.

The software played a more important role than the motion control hardware. Software is always king. Always.

Trying to use Nintendo's fuck-ups with Wii U to downplay the importance and impact of Wii's software is just lame.

The reason Wii Sports and play were popular was because they utilized the hardware well, the motion controlls, which was a defining aspect of Wii's hardware. Do you think Wii Play would sell anywhere near as much if you could only play it with a standard controller.

Nintendo's motion controlls is what kept the hardware selling (and thus, the software that used the hardware well with it). Nintendo's exclusives didnt stop gamecube, N64 and WiiU from tanking

OfficerRaichu15 said:

well when you got a name ps4tw

then that assumes you like sony 

and i disagree with no one likes mario kart

mk dd 7 million

mk ds 22 million

mk wii 35 million

mk 7 10 million and counting

just because you dont like mario kart doesnt mean millions of others dont like it

now im not saying its going to save the wii u but 

if it does it would be a miracle

And what competition does Nintendo have on those consoles? None. The games are bought because there are no other options, not because people specifically want Mario. 

TheLegendaryWolf said:

The above applies. Other than shovelware, Nintendo consoles don't offer the customer much choice in games hence why 1st party sells. If people actually liked Mario, 3D Mario would have caused a surge in sales. 

ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

How is it cherry picking? The console market is as large as its ever been and the Wii U isn't selling and has almost no third party support. Pikmin, 3D Mario etc have not helped sales. Why will Mario Kart? Nintendo aren't enticing new customers by offering the same franchise year after year. Can you really see the CoD crowd going for Mario Kart? The Forza crowd? Any gaming crowd? As I said, no karting game has been successful outside of Mario Kart and that can be largely attributed to lack of competition on Nintendo consoles. 

You're incredibly out of touch if you think Mario Kart doesn't still have broad appeal. Look no further than Mario Kart 7.

What was it's competition? My point proven.

You simply can't sell 9.45m without broad appeal. As for competition, just look up 3DS top sellers, heavy hitters abound; Pokemon, 2D and 3D Mario, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, KIngdom Hearts, Fire Emblem...

The idea that people only buy cos they're "no competition" is laughable. If they didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it by the millions.

If it doesn't move consoles, the outlook will be pretty grim. It depends on what else is revealed this year.

I've been hearing about how such and such is the Wii U's "last chance" for nearly a year and a half now. I'd like to stop hearing that eventually. I don't think I want to be reading two years from now that some 2016 Holiday title is the Wii U's last chance to achieve some abstract goal such as "relevance."