By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

fps_d0minat0r said:

Like I said in my previous post, trying to generate high expectations on software which was only successful because of the wii's hardware is just lame.

Software was the primary reason for Wii's huge hardware sales.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Like I said in my previous post, trying to generate high expectations on software which was only successful because of the wii's hardware is just lame.

Like I said before, the software was developed around the hardware.

If they try and make a wii sports around the wii U, there will be no interest in the game. Its because the hardware sold the software.

even for other games, the wii made mario sell, but mario isnt able to make the wii U sell.

fps_d0minat0r said:
curl-6 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Like I said before, the software was developed around the hardware.

If they try and make a wii sports around the wii U, there will be no interest in the game. Its because the hardware sold the software.

even for other games, the wii made mario sell, but mario isnt able to make the wii U sell.

The hardware is just a vessel for playing software. People bought Wiis for Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros Brawl, etc.

Mario isn't working as well on Wii U so far because it wasn't a bold new step like Galaxy, and Wii U's still too expensive for a lot of that audience.

Mr Khan said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It should be the beginning of good things but not the end. It's a key title, but we should see about 6 others over the next 12 months, and possibly a price cut. If it's not selling well in one years time, stick a fork in it. But it's not all MK8.

I will say, however, if MK8 doesn't start an upward sales trend, Nintendo will probably pull the pin behind the scenes and titles such as EAD Tokyo's next Mario will be moved to a new platform. EBay

Ebay?

Yes, Nintendo's new secret platform. Lol, my phone must have added that in.

curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

How is it cherry picking? The console market is as large as its ever been and the Wii U isn't selling and has almost no third party support. Pikmin, 3D Mario etc have not helped sales. Why will Mario Kart? Nintendo aren't enticing new customers by offering the same franchise year after year. Can you really see the CoD crowd going for Mario Kart? The Forza crowd? Any gaming crowd? As I said, no karting game has been successful outside of Mario Kart and that can be largely attributed to lack of competition on Nintendo consoles. 

You're incredibly out of touch if you think Mario Kart doesn't still have broad appeal. Look no further than Mario Kart 7.

even worse, he wrongly says nintendo delivers the ame franchise year after year and then talks about Cod.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

How is it cherry picking? The console market is as large as its ever been and the Wii U isn't selling and has almost no third party support. Pikmin, 3D Mario etc have not helped sales. Why will Mario Kart? Nintendo aren't enticing new customers by offering the same franchise year after year. Can you really see the CoD crowd going for Mario Kart? The Forza crowd? Any gaming crowd? As I said, no karting game has been successful outside of Mario Kart and that can be largely attributed to lack of competition on Nintendo consoles. 

You're incredibly out of touch if you think Mario Kart doesn't still have broad appeal. Look no further than Mario Kart 7.

What was it's competition? My point proven.

How does a next gen console that is a extra year older, has a bunch of high quality games, but cannot sell more than PS3 or X360 on a weekly basis be saved by a single game?

Nintendo has lost the interest of most core gamers because the Wii U is not as powerful as PS4 or X1 (specifically lacks memory and storage), online features lag behind the competition, the media features stink, they don't have a trophy/achievement system, and their advertising makes it "un-cool" for a core gamer to buy the system.

The Wii was built on sales to casual gamers with the WiiMote/Nunchuk. The Wii U has failed to re-capture the attention of that crowd with the touchpad. Wii U is left with people that are loyal to Nintendo. (Me included) Who bought the Wii U in hopes that Nintendo will wake up and join the main console race again... Outside of a bunch of first party games and a couple of third party games like Wonderful 101 my Wii U has spent a lot of time turned off.

routsounmanman said:

I'm not saying that WiiU will magically sell through the roof and reach 100m sales. But MK8 will be the best thing to happen to Nintendo lately and easily push WiiU for a bit until SSB comes. And in the end, 15m - 20m lifetime for WiiU is perfectly viable and will turn a healthy profit overall.

Completely different from the SEGA situation.

Why is that true for MK8 but not any of the other titles that have so far come out? Like 3D Mario? It's a false economy thinking people like Mario. They don't care - it's just one of the only handful of games on the console that isn't shovelware. 

Quote Tree Shortened - Conegamer

ps4tw said:
routsounmanman said:
ps4tw said:
routsounmanman said:
ps4tw said:
spurgeonryan said:
ps4tw said:
Only die hard fans have the Wii U. It'll sell well initially because all current Wii U owners will get it but it won't attract any new customers for the console. Wii U is over.

Oh no! I bought the Wii U. Did nintendo say it was done after this year? Where did you hear this?

From a guy called commen sense and his best buddy logic. The two tend to make good predictions.

Or we can bury are heads in the sand and expect a company to keep on supporting a console that is doing bad on a record scale. The Dreamcast was abandoned around now and that had sold 80% more than what the Wii U has done by the time Sega called it quits. 

Meanwhile SEGA was full in debt, and losing money left and right, while Nintendo had just a bad year and is swimming in money. Your buddy guys sure are cherry picking.

I'm not saying that WiiU will magically sell through the roof and reach 100m sales. But MK8 will be the best thing to happen to Nintendo lately and easily push WiiU for a bit until SSB comes. And in the end, 15m - 20m lifetime for WiiU is perfectly viable and will turn a healthy profit overall.

Completely different from the SEGA situation.

Why is that true for MK8 but not any of the other titles that have so far come out? Like 3D Mario? It's a false economy thinking people like Mario. They don't care - it's just one of the only handful of games on the console that isn't shovelware. 

judging by this it looks like you only like sony

but i disagree 

you need hope and confidence that nintendo will go all out on a mk8 campaign and make people pumped

(i like sony too and also nintendo)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

OfficerRaichu15 said:
ps4tw said:

judging by this it looks like you only like sony

but i disagree 

you need hope and confidence that nintendo will go all out on a mk8 campaign and make people pumped

(i like sony too and also nintendo)

Eh wat? I haven't mentioned Sony once...Why do I need hope and confidence about MK8? It doesn't effect me at all.  I'm saying other than Nintendo fans, most of who already own a Wii U, no one cares about Mario Karts.