By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Probably Starting Work on Just Another AAA Xbox One Halo Game

celador said:
J_Allard said:
celador said:
Sounds kind of desperate honestly. Would expect declining quality if even if they outsource some of it

ITT we learn that companies focusing on delivering games their fanbase wants is "desperate".

aka all of the big 3 are "desperate". Look at Sony about to rehash Last of Us. Mario Kart EIGHT Nintendo? So desperate.

Releasing games from the same franchise after a decent development time = not desperate

Making your biggest franchise annual because you lack the confidence and/or willing to take a risk on a new IP that could shift systems = kind of desperate

New IP do not shift consoles.  Actually it takes a while for a new IP to become a AAA that sells a system.  Spinning off a universe is now considered desperate without actually knowing what these games will be.  You sure have a very strong opinon about very limited information.  Would we see the same opinion if Sony also spin off the uncharted or Last of us Universe.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

New IP do not shift consoles.  Actually it takes a while for a new IP to become a AAA that sells a system.  Spinning off a universe is now considered desperate without actually knowing what these games will be.  You sure have a very strong opinon about very limited information.  Would we see the same opinion if Sony also spin off the uncharted or Last of us Universe.

No it doesn't.  The first Halo sold a boatload of Xbox consoles through review scores and word of mouth of how good it was.  It was an instant AAA classic.

If Sony made any of their main franchises annual I would be equally critical, it is never a good thing in terms of quality, only money

I don't understand why games have to be 1st party... are non 1st party games any good?

Also, forum posters seem to glorify new IPs but the reality is that they cost a lot and contrary to some belief they don't sell that much hence why they need existing franchises.

celador said:
Machiavellian said:
celador said:

Like I already said, I want MS to come out at E3 and announce some new IPs that are actually first party.  If they do I will change my opinion of them

Just wondering, why is it important that the game is first party.

Because third party games shouldn't be moneyhatted if they are planned orignally to release mulit-platform, it shows a lack of originality and effort and makes me question MS's long term plans in terms of gaming when they consistently choose the short term option.  The wasteland that was X360 exclusives for the last couple years of it's main life and the TV TV TV of last year's reveal also add to that.  If MS ever became the dominant force in console gaming I can only see them making the industry worse.

Why is "moneyhatting" used when investing in  a developer to create a game for your system.  Games are a business and developers face a lot of risk when funding their games on their own.  Not all 3rd party developers have big bank accounts and can afford a miss on a project.  Most I would say live game by game and if a game does not sell very well put them at considerable risk.

As a business, its probably a lot easier for a lot of these companies to use the mony from a console maker to fund projects because it reduces the risk of the project.  I would say that those companies actually go to the console maker and pitch their game for funding not the console maker actually going to them to make their games exclusive.  Sunset Overdrive is a good example.  The developer stated they pitched that game to MS and MS invested into it.  Quantum Break would also be a good example.  Hell on the other side of the table would be The Order and Quatic Dream games.  They are pitched to Sony and Sony invest in those games.  Neither company are Sony studios.

The whole moneyhatted thing is a concept I have to say is fanboy related.  It totally does not look at the situation for the developer but instead is used to demean a perfectly good development strategy.  

As a console maker you do not need originality, you need to understand where to invest your resources.  Whether its first, 2nd or 3rd, if the company invest their money into a project then they are providing that original content for their system.  If you want to take a look at how having to many first party devs under your belt being risky and detrimental, Sony would be a good example.  In the last 2 years they closed 5 studios I believe.  

There is more to making games then what gamers want.  its a business with a lot of risk.  Decisions are made because of risk and developers have to be very mindful about such risk or risk closure.

celador said:
Machiavellian said:

No it doesn't.  The first Halo sold a boatload of Xbox consoles through review scores and word of mouth of how good it was.  It was an instant AAA classic.

If Sony made any of their main franchises annual I would be equally critical, it is never a good thing in terms of quality, only money

How many new IPs have replicated Halo.  Hell, Sony tried with 3 different IPS and have not replicated Halo and neither have MS.  One anomaly out of hundreds of games does not prove your point.  

So you are saying it would not be smart for Sony to take a Universe like Uncharted or The Last of Us and spin off different games within that universe, thats fine but calling it desperate is on another level.

Around the Network

I think Ford should stop annualizing Mustang because it shows their lack of confidence in producing new models.

Anyway, Halo universe is vast chronologically and physically; another character to recount the saga in a different point of view is welcomed.

Jazz2K said:
I don't understand why games have to be 1st party... are non 1st party games any good?

Also, forum posters seem to glorify new IPs but the reality is that they cost a lot and contrary to some belief they don't sell that much hence why they need existing franchises.

@Bolded:  I totally agree with this point.  I would definitely put money down that we would not have seen "The last of US" if Uncharted was not successful.  Because of the success of the Uncharted games, is the reason that ND have expanded and I believe will be producing more games and can also explore new ideals and IP.

celador said:

Like I already said, I want MS to come out at E3 and announce some new IPs that are actually first party.  If they do I will change my opinion of them

I don't get this logic. As if game a being 1st party makes it more enjoyable.

Its just nonsense.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

walsufnir said:

Success is what's driving the industry. CoD comes yearly and sells like nothing else...

Not in disagree with you but...

CoD dropping from 30m to 25m or even 20m in sales won't make it stop to be a yearly release because 20m is yet a crazy number even if the quality dropped.

Now Halo dropping from 10m to 8m or 6m is sales will be a big hit for a yearly release if the quality dropped.

Just saying they will hold CoD yearly even it sells only 15 million... I don't see that happening if Halo sells only 3 miillion.

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

Success is what's driving the industry. CoD comes yearly and sells like nothing else...

Not in disagree with you but...

CoD dropping from 30m to 25m or even 20m in sales won't make it stop to be a yearly release because 20m is yet a crazy number even if the quality dropped.

Now Halo dropping from 10m to 8m or 6m is sales will be a big hit for a yearly release if the quality dropped.

Just saying they will hold CoD yearly even it sells only 15 million... I don't see that happening if Halo sells only 3 miillion.

A side Halo game selling 3m is great tho? Halo Wars and Anniversary did like half of that.