By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Doing Great, but it's a different story for Sony - Losses 18% greater than forecast at $1.3 billion for year

Great for the Playstation division but as others have stated Sony still has A LOT of work to do. I personally for the life of me can not understand while they still have the TV and computer divisions. It just seems like it would make sense to drop both of those because they are not competitive at all compared to the others TVs/computers.

I hope for the best for Sony because I am a Sony fan(more so playstation than anything else) and I want them to stop bleeding red as a company. Well time will tell what they end up doing.

Oh and @ naruball no not really interesting at all. Some people just have interest in it or feel like discussing it. Nothing wrong with that at all. I could personally careless what "fans" they are they are still free to discuss it. Just my opinion though.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Yep.  Blu-ray was an exercise in futility as most of us predicted.

btw. The stock dropped 11% on the previous announcement of the 1.1bn loss.  Shouldnt be as bad this time.  But those credit rating agencies could get nasty.

Sony didnt move fast/serious enough to digital download/streaming of music and the iPod took over.

Sony didnt move fast/serious enough to digital download/streaming of video and iTunes, NetFlix, etc. took over.

Will it ultimately kill them in Video games as well?

One of the reasons I utimately believe the X1 will end up the lead this generation is simply less turmoil and larger ability for MS to invest. Sony needs the Playstation business to hold up the company.  Selling off is best for the Playstation business, but would cause huge turmoil and the strongest talent would be prone to flight. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

kowenicki said:

It is a publicly listed company.

I dont have the time or inclination to go into why what you have just written is a load of old nonsense.

you dont have a clue what you're talking about either lol. either you don't realize that when a company is bought out, it can be listed privately again, or you don't realize that government bailouts exist. maybe both? lol

Sony needs to put the axe to the TV and PC divisions. Nobody wants a 46" Sony Class for $1600 when they can get an equivalent or better LG TV for $850. And nobody wants a $1250 Sony laptop when they can get an equivalent or better HP for $700. It sickens me that I'm not just bullshitting, as I pulled those prices from Frys.com. Keep selling these grossly overpriced products while everyone else makes better products for cheaper, then stay confused as to why you're losing so much money

How long til bankruptcy?

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
kowenicki said:
Sony stock down 5% on opening.

Holy Crap.

I just looked a bit deeper. Sony are in big big Sh=T!!

They literally have only assests left. Which means they need to sell these to pay wages very very soon. No actual core money value is extremely dangerous to any company. PS need to be let go like inthnxt 12-24 months. Otherwise unless a miracle happens its goodbye PS4.

I'm going to quote you on this in 12-24 months ^^

Getting rid of TV will be a huge mistake.

Samsung, while experiencing more growth than any other company in terms of mobile devices admitted the trend isn't going to last much longer. The next big focus ( in 2 to 3 years) is going to be TV again. If Sony drop it, they will regret it.

^
Guys. Cut out those quote trees!

BMaker11 said:
Sony needs to put the axe to the TV and PC divisions. Nobody wants a 46" Sony Class for $1600 when they can get an equivalent or better LG TV for $850. And nobody wants a $1250 Sony laptop when they can get an equivalent or better HP for $700. It sickens me that I'm not just bullshitting, as I pulled those prices from Frys.com. Keep selling these grossly overpriced products while everyone else makes better products for cheaper, then stay confused as to why you're losing so much money

the problem with Sony was never the quality of the devices, it was the ridiculous price, and crappy advertising. 

Me gusta queso 

psn id: rychussnik

foodfather said:
Getting rid of TV will be a huge mistake.

Samsung, while experiencing more growth than any other company in terms of mobile devices admitted the trend isn't going to last much longer. The next big focus ( in 2 to 3 years) is going to be TV again. If Sony drop it, they will regret it.

They didn't get rid of their T.V. division. They spun it off to run as a separate part of the company. If anything they're doubling down on the size and quality (and subsequently the price-- so it would seem like they haven't learned much). They did sell their PC division; which is a smart move considering that the PC market is collapsing and their sales weren't strong to begin with.